Watch TV in Arizona????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMooney

Reaction score
Yall dont talk about . I know yall are there for start of football season.

I don't watch much TV either. I have seen a lot of HD antennas in Quartzsite so there must be a signal of some kind.

If TV is important, they have satellite setups for nomads. I had one for awhile but found I never used it.

No Tv here also. I do have both Netflix and ,Prime which I got for a reduced price because I am a Vet. Just go to Lowes, McDonald's, etc and upload movies and they're available to watch anytime you want. Also two persons can use either also without costing extra. HoboJoe

Speaking of being a vet. I ran across this little sticker in a commissary recently. Looks like not only retirees are allowed to shop anymore!

0022556e5542a32cde5a674060233352.jpg

I don't really watch TV much, and don't even have a smart phone or internet when on the road, unless I go to a library (ta-da). However, I was camping up on the plateau west of Parker a few days ago, and the guy next to me had a "160-mile" antenna on his rig and was picking up TV stations from El Centro CA. Parker apparently has only 4 limited TV stations. So, camp high and have a good view for 100 miles to some big city.

I've also seen a lot of rigs that appear to have Dish.

Maybe you could start up a special caravan in the fall with someone who subscribes to Satellite TV sports channels and get a big TV to share with everyone who would then chip in for the cost for the service. Then have game day pot lucks.
You could put up a big shelter for your TV den on game days and everyone brings their own chair and make it BYOB. I am sure it will be a popular caravan and there will be lots of sports talk around the campfires.

Maybe you should be the person who has the satellite dish and TV and acts as the caravan host. That way you will know for sure what games and teams you will be watching. Of course you are likely to also need a quiet generator with a long cord to power all the equipment as well as being the person to carry the big tent.

@billybob -TV topic

How did you get the vet discounts?

I was going to just listen. So
Much for that I guess. When it comes to some one acting out a life for my enjoyment I can quickly pass. My life is more important to me that watching someone act a fake one. If there's a sports match a dog show a horse or car race the history channel etc then I'm normally in. I have unlimited internet on my phone I use as a hot spot. I have chromecast that mirrors my phone to tv. That's how I you tube. I do that mostly . I've watched every thing Bob has done on you tube in about a months time. I love to learn and that's what I do most of the time. I'm on campsites across the US now. Since I knew so many of you went to arizona to camp dry i had to first find out if i could hack it . I found good reception in some areas so I think I will live. Then people dont talk on here what they do with the heart of their time . So..

when the time is appropriate I talk about what I do with my time. so I will chime in, I dig holes. LOL

here is what I know about TV in Arizona. a friend of mine in Mohave Valley gets OTA(Over the Air) free TV. he gets like 50 channels including the big 4 and PBS. he told me something like the cable companies must make the broadcast stations available for free if they want to sell their service. I have no idea if what he is telling me is true or not but I have seen his TV and he really does get a ton(~50) channels. I will confess I watched a TV show at his house it was "Green Acres" and it was on ME-TV.

highdesertranger

Cammalu said:
Speaking of being a vet. I ran across this little sticker in a commissary recently. Looks like not only retirees are allowed to shop anymore!

0022556e5542a32cde5a674060233352.jpg
I know that vets can shop online at the exchanges, but I don't know if a non retired vet could get on base. My drivers license says Veteran because I showed them my DD214,  but The VA would not give me an ID card because they say that is for medical and I make too much money to qualify.

the heart of my time on the road is not really different that the heart of my time at a fixed location. if I have an internet connection I spend some time on it. I spend a lot of time learning about new subjects or improving my depth of knowledge on a subject. I read books on my tablet. I want to do some more miniature sized projects in wood including some carvings and original designs of scale sized furniture, 1:12 and 1:8 with an influence of medieval and the arts and crafts revival era in the late 1800s. Or sometimes jewelry pieces. I will likely do more teaching and mentoring for individuals who are just beginning in making things such as doing a build in a van. Showing them how to use tools properly and measure and figure out how to assemble things.

I will be working on a series of project plans that I will sell on the internet as digital downloads. Things like high end birdhouses, some charming dollhouse size cottages, maybe some small furniture projects for homes and workshop spaces. Of course those all need prototypes made to photograph and the measured drawings and 3D CAD assembly drawings. None of those things are new, I have already been designing, building and teaching as well as being a major user of tools and technology for a great many years.

I have a part time business selling kits for miniature 3D cardstock buildings that I design and produce and sell online. So there is always a new set to design and inventory to cut and package.

I can always create a series of items to put into an art gallery show as I have standing offers for that. And I do have a series I would like to get around to.

I enjoy various shows on TV or films watched on the internet. I don't hate sports but football and basketball has never been an interest to me. I would rather watch skiing, car races, baseball, sailing and such, they are OK now and again but not a passion. I am more inclined to watch shows about making things than watching sports.

I have yet to run out of new things I would like to design and make. Or new things I would like to learn. Over the years I keep jumping back into college now and again but mostly for technical things, computer programing, or taking a whole series of classes on the 3D cad programs used for engineering design. Or building and repairing computers and networking them, or art classes like lost wax casting and lamp work hot glass sculpting. I studied CNC machining and also do 3D printing and laser cutting. I was going to start taking a solar energy program at the college this last fall but I broke my wrist and just did not feel up to it. But so far I have not put any time into robotics, it might be fun to build little robotic devices :)

But I think I need to finish up the renovation on my little 1971 vintage fiberglass travel trailer which I gutted and am bringing into the modern age to serve as my home/studio/workshop on the road. Several months of work to go on it. Of course in a space that is only 10' long and 6' wide that has my bed and kitchen as well as counter workbench area the smaller scale projects are much easier to do than large sized projects. So I will probably spend a month or two in the summer hanging out at a friends larger workshop space but still living out of my trailer.

highdesertranger said:
when the time is appropriate I talk about what I do with my time. so I will chime in, I dig holes. LOL

here is what I know about TV in Arizona. a friend of mine in Mohave Valley gets OTA(Over the Air) free TV. he gets like 50 channels including the big 4 and PBS. he told me something like the cable companies must make the broadcast stations available for free if they want to sell their service. I have no idea if what he is telling me is true or not but I have seen his TV and he really does get a ton(~50) channels. I will confess I watched a TV show at his house it was "Green Acres" and it was on ME-TV.

highdesertranger

I spend a lot of time diggin holes, too.
ML fan.

"Corsair ML120, 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan"

I know a certain ventilation enthusiast who would be certain to have an opinion about "ML fans".

Whoa, they added RGB to ML fans. Trippin'.

"Our groundbreaking magnetic levitation powered fans are now available in full, stunning RGB."

[For HDR: RedGreenBlue]

Wonder if they could do the same with a quadcopter. Add the sci fi noises from the Fifties.