Washer and dryer...for vandwellers.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luisafernandes

Reaction score
My gym clothing can't be dried in a machine, and it becomes a pain in the butt to dry.
I wash then hang them to dry inside the van. But because the washer still leaves them very wet, it takes a few days to completely dry off. Very inconvenient.
The other day I was searching YouTube and found this little washer and I wondered if there was such thing as a dryer as well. There is. Well, not quiet, but what I found wicks the water out of the clothing leaving it almost dry.
Here's the dryer;
http://www.laundry-alternative.com/product/Spin-Dryer#PhotoSwipe1411401126488
And here's the washer;
http://beprepared.com/wonder-washer.html
I don't think I need the washer nor have the room for it at the moment, but I might buy the dryer.

cool little machine, traveling in the tropics I remember having the same problem got rid of my heavy cotton use I went with synthetics traveling. Exofficio comes to mind not cheap but dries very fast other like brands available. Jungle rot is no fun.

That washer would be great for doing occasional small loads. Since I am retired, I am wearing more light t-shirts and polo shirts, and usually don't bother with socks. My boxers dry quickly too. So a drier is of lower priority, but I sometimes just wash by hand in the sink. The little washer would be more efficient and use no electricity! Great find! It spins to a similar speed as the drier. Wonder if the spin drier could be given a hand crank? While boondocking, the genny could run it though.

gsfish said:
I use a solar powered dryer most of the time. Easiest, most cost effective solar project that there is.

Guy

Been too rainy here lately to do that much. But I can hang some stuff up in the house. That little drier would be nice to get stuff drier than I can by hand-wringing it. My big drier crapped out some time ago, so I just wash enough to hang and dry. No drippage after the wash spins it - but it uses a lot of E-juice.
When I drive the van somewhere, I usually have my bike trailered and tagging along, so the washer & drier in those links could ride in the trailer. The genny could run the drier.
But so far, I haven't really spent long enough at a location to worry much about doing clothes.
Once had a buddy's tent fail massively during a heavy Georgia rain - all his bedding and clothes got soaked! The campground's drier came in handy. If we'd been in the woods, he'd have been SOL!

So how many watts does this dryer use and do you have an electrical source which will provide this much wattage?

Oh I see it says it uses no heat. It's hard to see how just spinning will get stuff completely dry.

It spins only, at the same speed as the hand-cranked washer. That's why I was wondering if it could be modded to a handcrank - that would be perfect! No electric use on either machine. Depends on how it is constructed. Also, it has a drain for the water squeezed out - so you'd need a basin or jug to catch the run-off (gray water).

We had a small washer/dryer that worked like that spin dryer. It spins the clothes very fast and most of the water comes out. A hand crank would not spin fast enough. But maybe a 12 volt motor?
As for the washer. Just scrub your clothes in a 5 gallon bucket.
Has anyone used the old hand ringers that used to be part of washing machines before the spin cycle?

PastTense said:
So how many watts does this dryer use and do you have an electrical source which will provide this much wattage?

Oh I see it says it uses no heat. It's hard to see how just spinning will get stuff completely dry.

Hi.
It's not meant to get things completely dry as it has no heat. What it does is spin at 3200 RPMs for 2 to 3 minutes, thus leaving your clothing pretty free of water, thus allowing it to dry faster.

This works by turning a bucket end over end. You pay for having a frame and crank handle to ease the job. It is smaller than a 5 gallon bucket, hard to see washing that much, unless fairly clean to begin with. The water handling becomes a problem in a van.

Could a salad spinner work for your swim suit?

ccbreder said:
This works by turning a bucket end over end. You pay for having a frame and crank handle to ease the job. It is smaller than a 5 gallon bucket, hard to see washing that much, unless fairly clean to begin with. The water handling becomes a problem in a van.

Could a salad spinner work for your swim suit?

I thought of the salad spinner, but I don't think it spins fast enough.
The spinner I first looked at is out of stack, and only spins at 1800 RPMs, I think. This one is a little bigger but spins at 3200 RPMs.
I can plug it into an inverter and have my gym (only my gym clothing) clothing almost dry before hanging in the van.

I have looked at both of those. kind of smallish. I like to use a bucket washer. like this http://simplelifepeace.com/bucket-washing-machine/ . I went with the toilet plunger method works pretty good. I usually put the water, soap, and clothes in give it a few plunges then let it sit. then I do some more plunging and let sit again. use very little soap with this or you are going to be rinsing for days. right now I ring by hand and then to the solar dryer. but in the future I would like one of those old fashion type ringers like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QSXK60/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=2092829034&ref=pd_sl_6yxpyo1r4x_b . I am not endorsing this one it's just an example. highdesertranger

This guy had a good idea for spin cycle/wring water out

basically hang perforated bucket from tree, wind rope and spin away

DazarGaidin said:
This guy had a good idea for spin cycle/wring water out

basically hang perforated bucket from tree, wind rope and spin away

Good idea! Problem is not nearly as fast as necessary to get the water out. I would agree though, it's better than nothing.

gsfish said:
I use a solar powered dryer most of the time. Easiest, most cost effective solar project that there is.

Guy

yep, the thermonuclear clothes dryer is the best one available.

(that would be the sun)

Latest posts