Wanting to give it a try

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelaghc

Reaction score
Hello - this is my intro post.

Back when I was in my twenties (about a thousand years ago) I really wanted to just travel around the country in some kind of vehicle. At one point I considered buying a small school bus that someone had for sale. I even went to look at it - the price was in my range and it seemed to be in good shape. (The seller actually suggested I have it registered as an RV - obviously he knew something I didn't at the time.)

But this was in the stone age before the internet, when resources for putting something like that together were difficult, if not impossible, to find on your own. 
On top of that, I didn't have a clue how to support myself during such a venture. And it never dawned on me to just do weekends and vacation time back then.
So that didn't happen for me way back when.

Now I'm just a few years from being able to retire. I've been watching videos and cruising around vanlife sites for almost two years. 
Have I ever gone camping by myself? 
No.
But the idea of driving around the country on my own with no roots after all these years still appeals to me.

Right now, I'm thinking of taking baby steps and going out in my itty bitty hatchback for a couple of days at a time to see how it feels. A little city boondocking, a little nearby BLM parking, sleeping in the car with the back seats folded down and cooking on a little grill, just to get the hang of the life.  
If it feels good, I'll baby-step myself by renting larger rides and go on longer trips. 

My potential goal is to convert a shuttle - something that will work for both my cats and me size-wise.  

I have a few years to ease into the life and no mortgage (I'm a renter). I also don't have a massive retirement to count on so I want to do this as right as I can the first time.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks very much.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi sgelaghc! I have just retired (a couple years early) and am about to ease into being mobile too. Get everything set up, sleep in the minivan a couple nights. Go about a half hour away, sleep another night. My first real roadtrip will be to the Olympic Peninsula probably towards the end of next month. I'm dabbling, for now.

In past years I've read a lot of intro's like yours.   At one time this would have been seen as something for estranged men who would live down by the river in a Van.  Today more and more women are wanting into this lifestyle.  So,  I'm sure you'll find kindred spirits here to partner with.

Below in my signature lines are a couple of links.  One for converting vehicles in a simple and inexpensive manner.  (best for pleasant weather)  And the other link is a portal of info to make one's
forays into this way of life more safe, comfortable, and convenient. 

If you like to read and get some idea of what it may be like to be on the road, I'd suggest these two fictions, and a Steinbeck novel. 

Divine Rights Trip by Gurney Norman

Blue Highways by William Least  (Heat Moon .... native American name)

Travels with Charlie by John Steinbeck

But reading some can help you mentally prepare for things you may experience while on the road.

Do you try and go to the bathroom? Get real .....and make the decision!!

Zmann said:
Do you try and go to the bathroom?  Get real .....and make the decision!!
Hi Zmann 
Going to the bathroom and changing an entire lifestyle are vastly different. 
Plus, I'm not in a financial position to go full tilt into this life.
And I have some disability issues I need to consider. 

Everyone begins their own journey in their own way. This is how I need to begin mine.
But I appreciate your encouragement.

Your approach seems very sensible -- taking some "baby steps" to see how it goes. This
shelaghc said:
Right now, I'm thinking of taking baby steps and going out in my itty bitty hatchback for a couple of days at a time to see how it feels. A little city boondocking, a little nearby BLM parking, sleeping in the car with the back seats folded down and cooking on a little grill, just to get the hang of the life.  
If it feels good, I'll baby-step myself by renting larger rides and go on longer trips. 

This is exactly what I would recommend...using your own current vehicle to try some car camping, and then also trying out some other vehicles, rental vehicles, to see how it feels using those. For instance renting a minivan, rent a Ford econoline type van (Budget rentals has them) and possibly also a larger Ford Transit van (Enterprise rentals has them).

That's actually how I started out in boondocking...years ago, in my 20s, with a Honda Accord hatchback. (I tell the story of my early boondocking and my van conversion here: https://dragunfire.wordpress.com/2020/07/21/van-conversion-diaries/ ). I liked having the option of setting up a tent or if needed, put down the seat and sleep in the vehicle. A few years later, I got a small pickup truck and built a homemade camper shell on it, and this worked quite well for the next approximately 20 years. I could sleep comfortably and get out of the rain and wind. As I got into my middle age, I wanted something bigger and more comfortable and larger than the small pickup truck. Minivans seemed a great possibility, but as I kept exploring I decided I wanted a cargo van as these offered much more comfort and potential. I don't live full time in my van, I only use it for camping and road trips, so for me the fact that the cargo van has significantly lower MPG (mine has average 17.7 mpg) isn't as critical since I value comfort above MPG for my relatively short trips.

As you try out different vehicles, you'll gradually get a sense of what you want. When you rent vehicles, spend some time thinking about how each type of vehicle could be built out. You'll also see great videos on YouTube, many on Bob Well's channel, about how people build out and either camp or live in just about every type of vehicle, smallest ones to largest ones. Think about your own needs and preferences. Many people have very elaborate build-outs even for something as small as a minivan eg this video

When you go camping, also consider that the degree of success you have in finding good camping spots will figure largely in how you feel about this project. If you don't find good spots, this can have a deterrent effect. Great spots can be very inspiring and motivating. You may need to explore a bit before you get the hang of finding good spots.

WOW said it well in the above reply. My only caution is the size of your vehicle. If it is too small and you are cramped/uncomfortable/little ventilation then you may decide that this isn't worth it. I had a Prius and tried a few nights camping/sleeping and found that it wasn't big for me. Kudos to those who say they can do it just fine but I would need more room.

wanderingsoul said:
Hi sgelaghc!  I have just retired (a couple years early) and am about to ease into being mobile too.  Get everything set up, sleep in the minivan a couple nights.  Go about a half hour away, sleep another night.  My first real roadtrip will be to the Olympic Peninsula probably towards the end of next month.  I'm dabbling, for now.
A minivan will probably be more comfortable than my little hatchback. *g*
I figure I'll rough it the first time or two just to save money.

eDJ_ said:
In past years I've read a lot of intro's like yours.   At one time this would have been seen as something for estranged men who would live down by the river in a Van.  Today more and more women are wanting into this lifestyle.  So,  I'm sure you'll find kindred spirits here to partner with.

Below in my signature lines are a couple of links.  One for converting vehicles in a simple and inexpensive manner.  (best for pleasant weather)  And the other link is a portal of info to make one's
forays into this way of life more safe, comfortable, and convenient. 

If you like to read and get some idea of what it may be like to be on the road, I'd suggest these two fictions, and a Steinbeck novel. 

Divine Rights Trip by Gurney Norman

Blue Highways by William Least  (Heat Moon .... native American name)

Travels with Charlie by John Steinbeck

But reading some can help you mentally prepare for things you may experience while on the road.
Thanks very much! Videos and reading are all very welcome for my prep. And thanks also for the links.

WayOutWest said:
Your approach seems very sensible -- taking some "baby steps" to see how it goes.  This
This is exactly what I would recommend...using your own current vehicle to try some car camping, and then also trying out some other vehicles, rental vehicles, to see how it feels using those. For instance renting a minivan, rent a Ford econoline type van (Budget rentals has them) and possibly also a larger Ford Transit van (Enterprise rentals has them). 

That's actually how I started out in boondocking...years ago, in my 20s, with a Honda Accord hatchback.  (I tell the story of my early boondocking and my van conversion here:  https://dragunfire.wordpress.com/2020/07/21/van-conversion-diaries/  ).  I liked having the option of setting up a tent or if needed,  put down the seat and sleep in the vehicle.  A few years later, I got a small pickup truck and built a homemade camper shell on it, and this worked quite well for the next approximately 20 years.  I could sleep comfortably and get out of the rain and wind.  As I got into my middle age, I wanted something bigger and more comfortable and larger than the small pickup truck. Minivans seemed a great possibility, but as I kept exploring I decided I wanted a cargo van as these offered much more comfort and potential.  I don't live full time in my van, I only use it for camping and road trips, so for me the fact that the cargo van has significantly lower MPG (mine has average 17.7 mpg) isn't as critical since I value comfort above MPG for my relatively short trips. 

As you try out different vehicles, you'll gradually get a sense of what you want.  When you rent vehicles, spend some time thinking about how each type of vehicle could be built out.  You'll also see great videos on YouTube, many on Bob Well's channel, about how people build out and either camp or live in just about every type of vehicle, smallest ones to largest ones.  Think about your own needs and preferences.  Many people have very elaborate build-outs even for something as small as a minivan eg this video

When you go camping, also consider that the degree of success you have in finding good camping spots will figure largely in how you feel about this project.  If you don't find good spots, this can have a deterrent effect.  Great spots can be very inspiring and motivating.  You may need to explore a bit before you get the hang of finding good spots.

Thanks for the info on where to find graduated van sizes. That's great to know!
I also found something interesting on Amazon - a hatchback tent (new to me, likely not to others here) for just about $150. It would allow me some privacy along with more space while still using my current car. 
I'd consider it a small investment - especially if it turns out it would work with one of the larger size options. 

If all goes well, I'm planning to start shopping about a year before retirement so I have plenty of time for the conversion. I know I want to be able to stand and have space for a shower and indoor toilet. Also planning for an electric tricycle and hopefully enough space for my instruments. 

Bob's youtube channel is one I regularly visit for tips and ideas. I've been bookmarking various vans, shuttles, skoolies, etc. for a while so I have some good references for what appeals to me. 

Everyone's been very kind already here. I'm looking forward to being part of this virtual community.

TWIH said:
WOW said it well in the above reply. My only caution is the size of your vehicle. If it is too small and you are cramped/uncomfortable/little ventilation then you may decide that this isn't worth it. I had a Prius and tried a few nights camping/sleeping and found that it wasn't big for me. Kudos to those who say they can do it just fine but I would need more room.
I totally get this. My car is indeed a bit cramped - I just measured it and it'll be interesting to see how it works out. 
The good thing is I'm short and tend to like sleeping curled up. Hopefully that'll come in handy. *g*
I mentioned in another reply that Amazon sells a hatchback tent that attaches to the back of cars. I'm thinking this would help with the space issue and it's not overly expensive.

I'm also close to some state parks - hoping there's BLM land close to them for my first toe-dipping.
Thanks very much for sharing your experience!