Wanting to convert my 2020 Kia Rio Hatchback.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadant

Reaction score
Just trying to find out how many lithium batteries would I need for a heater and what type of heater would i need for cold nights. I'm already looking at the 12.8 QT fridge by ICECO.  all my personal belonging fit in a duffel bag, I'm READY TO GOOOOO! any suggestions?

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

A full on hair dryer on high heat is 1800 watts.  A small space heater is 1000 watts.  A small space heater on low heat will be about 500 watts.  A Mr Heater Little buddy is 3800 BTU per hour.  That is waaaaay too much heat for a mini-van or hatchback.  500 watts is 1700 BTU per hour and still likely too much for a hatchback unless it is really cold but probably good if it is 0 F, -18 C.  Above freezing 200 or so watts will keep away the chill.

To have batteries provide 200 watts for 10 hours means 2000 watt hours.  During the remaining 14 hours in the day you need other arrangements.  Recharging the 2000 watt hours will take 2400 watt hours, there is loss.  The Battleborn 100 amp hours times 12 volts should be 1200 watt hours.  Since you can't run them down to zero and recharging to 100% full is a challenge, figure 1000 watt hours each rather than 1200 to avoid disappointment.  A big battery bank cannot be recharged by idling the engine of the Kia for a few minutes or even a few hours.

A quick estimate: two batteries, 1 kilowatt, 1 kilo buck, would be a starting point.  Solar panels to charge that will require more space than a Kia Rio roof.  Actually, it will probably more space than an entire Kia Rio considering the poor charging conditions of winter.

A mobile electric supply for electric heat will be expensive.  If you can arrange a place to plug in an extension cord the power requirement is not very high but the daily energy requirement is large due to the many hours of on time.

If you are "READY TO GOOOOO" but have not yet gone you can use a Kill A Watt and the smallest space heater you can find and see how much electricity you need. A Kill A Watt will show how many kilowatt hours you have used over a period of time so you can better predict what you need. Kill A Watts are available at ACE hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, and probably even Walgreen.

Just an electric blanket rather than a space heater might be better.

Be sure to have a plan to charge your battery.

Go to a truckstop where they sell 12 volt electric blankets used by truckers. low draw but with the right blanket(s) on top it might work. and by the way have you seen the "tents" made for hatchbacks? it would give you. more space to live in mild weather. and more air in hot weather.

Welcome.

There are electric blankets that plug into DC power outlets. I got one last year (at Walmart) for someone who was living in a car. I was told it helped a lot.