Want to use HHR for Travel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabsLouie

Reaction score
I'm (semi) retired and hope to use my Chevy HHR for some travel to warmer climates this winter.  I won't be staying on the road for more than a few weeks at a time right now, but I think that's all I'd be able to handle in such cramped quarters, anyway.  Hoping to learn from the more experienced travelers in this community.  Cheers!

Welcome BabsLouie to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. you need to come to the RTR in January. highdesertranger

I too have a Chevy HHR and will be very interested in the replies.

If you have the newer LE5 Ecotec be sure to give the cooling system an overhaul before heading to warm climates. Same if you have a turbo motor.
The L61 is very reliable on the other hand. Cramped quarters but fuel economy and reliability should be solid.
If you need stealth, be aware that climbing into the back (since you can't get back there from the front) is pretty obvious.

The truck or van??
if the truck.
You could probably fit a thin mattress in the back. Low profile bed of the HHR makes it tricky. It'd be very tight.
Does the tailgate have an opener on the inside?
If not, I'm sure one could disassemble the tailgate and modify a pull cord type opener.
A section of bug screen could be used over the open tailgate to allow ventilation...but that would not be secure or weather proof. Or one of those tents that cover the rear of the bed.?

If you have a tonneau cover, you could do some custom bug netting and be able gain some space with the lid up. Or go with a store bought model, like this.
IMG_8941.jpg

DSCN3404.JPG

Wellll. :huh:
I just saw three HHR trucks together on the road the other day. That's why I was asking?
I thought they were SSR's. But they clearly had HHR monograms.

WOW first off I have never ever seen an HHR PU, Had no idea the exist, and I have owned two HHR LS models. 

IMG_5070-small.jpg

I have done a two week trip in it with my small dog, It was pretty comfy and I just slept in the front seat laid back.

Attachments

• IMG_5070-small.jpg
    IMG_5070-small.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 3
Those are custom jobs made from the panel wagon version. Google "wagon pickup conversion".