Want 2 set up boondock at family ranch for others.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RepublicOfTXPatriot

Reaction score
I'm curious to how other nomads would feel if a nomads family (that are not nomads) set up a free boondocking area on our family ranch. Would be a place in the country between Houston and Dallas TX. My family wanted to set up a place with a fresh water line from water well and a 120V outlet. Maybe a bathroom and shower facility. If it worked out I would hope to encourage others across the country to do the same. Kind of letting family or friends of nomads help out and #BeABlessing.  Ranch is 6 miles off Interstate in the woods. I'm just feeling out the idea. I have family and friends that support the "movement" but are tied down with children etc. I would love to hear everyone's feedback negative and positive. Thank you! #BeABlessing  :angel:

Sounds good. Join Boondockers welcome and add your name to the list of others doing the same. Those of us out here in the boonies appreciate it.

Might wanna consult with a lawyer about liability issues. All it takes is one idiot to trip on a tree root and file a lawsuit to ruin it for everyone.

This is how I find private places to rent. I use Craigslist to find those with a fenced area to rent out for a few months or more, who have preferably full-hook-ups (or don't mind grey-water dumping where legal). Renting a spot like that is akin to renting a room or a site in a MH park...liability is only if negligent.

I would imagine you'd get a ton of folks. I'm off the beaten path and had 215 guests last year. As to liability, I can't speak for your state but Idaho says I can't be held liable for anything as long as I don't charge. It's under a law here called 'recreational trespass' to encourage people to allow activities such as hunting, camping, hiking, shooting, motorcycling etc on private land.

Charging money is often the line in the sand on a lot of laws, deciding whether or not you're commercial.

Whilst water and dumping are available nearby to me and I only offer a little electricity and an empty field mostly you could get swamped with traffic which isn't a bad thing if you're ok with it. I have multiple 15A, 2 30A and 2 50A connections at my place, though don't quote me as I'm upgrading and some of those are offline til spring.

Personally I've enjoyed all but 2 guests out of the hundreds I've had over the years. Except for those two the only even minor annoyances I've had is with unfriendly guests which are rare. I find a lot of people are happy to make your acquaintance, share a beer, a fire, whatever in exchange for being able to even park somewhere without worrying about getting hassled.

My two cents, from someone who does what your suggesting already.

DuneElliot said:
This is how I find private places to rent. I use Craigslist to find those with a fenced area to rent out for a few months or more, who have preferably full-hook-ups (or don't mind grey-water dumping where legal). Renting a spot like that is akin to renting a room or a site in a MH park...liability is only if negligent.
In my mind it was more of a offering a safe free place to park for a day or two since it is about 45 minutes - 1 hour north of downtown Houston, TX. Family has a 150 acre ranch. I had a friend and traveler stop in and rest for the night. They filled up on water, dumped trash and tanks, and plugged into the horse barn with extension cord. It was right after Hurricane Harvey and they were waiting to get in to see family there.  I never thought about liability issues. Guess I should just let it be. Just trying to help other nomads like myself.  TYVM !

I was looking at it as a free secure place for fellow nomads to stop in if needed for a day or two. Prob not more than two rigs at a given time. Kind of friends helping friends thing. But I didn't think on the liability aspect. So I would not want my family to lose their 150 acre ranch over some b.s. lawsuit etc.. Just trying to help and pay it forward to all the great help and people I have met through my travels. TYVM !!! #BeABlessing
[/quote]

Just winging it seems quick and easy,

but it's smart to try to anticipate all the possible downside risks.

Given the red tape and liability issues,

plenty of great ideas for just helping others

need to be scaled up and run on a business-like footing

in order to be realistically sustainable,

even if no profits are intended.

It occurred to me something I left out that was relevant.  I put in the electricity to be nice, but the vast majority of 'boondockers' never plug in.  By definition those guys are used to not having access.  It's only a few foreign travelers in RVs that regularly use my power.  

Personally I didn't/won't let the liability thing scare me off, and do some checking; wouldn't surprise me at all if your area doesn't have something similar to our recreational trespass law.

Quick search for texas laws on the subject.  Not quite as good as Idahos but close:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CP/htm/CP.75.htm

Sounds a lot like the Tent Space section on ADV Rider. This is an area on the forum where you can offer up your place (yard, couch or bed) to other traveling motorcyclists. It gets used a lot by some travelers and almost always has positive results. I think a lot of the trust comes from it being such a large forum of like minded folks. I like the idea. I'm not sure I'd want to cater to the big RV crowd though. Maybe keep it exclusive to members of this forum or something along those lines?