Walls-ideas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldenbound

Reaction score
I had a plan to just use thin plywood for the van's walls, but after a lifetime of drywall, I want something a bit nicer.

So, any ideas? Knotty wood planks, peg board for a farm kitchen look? I just want some ideas so I don't have boring walls to look at.

Get small amounts of several colors of paint , a bunch of 12 yo kids , an equal number of brushes and let 'em go to it! Whatever you end up with , it WON 'T BE BORING!

rvpopeye said:
Get small amounts of several colors of paint , a bunch of 12 yo kids , an equal number of brushes and let 'em go to it! Whatever you end up with , it WON 'T BE BORING!

That is so true ! I had an idea with paint but it would require a lot of time and money. I will have to evaluate when I get my insulation and furring strips up.

Check out the foam cabinets finish and TTnT's foamies section for cloth covered pannels, insulation and pretty.

Bead Board.

Attachments

• van build 2z.jpg
    van build 2z.jpg
    459.7 KB
I'm really liking the look of tongue and groove pine. If you buy the closet liner material at the big box stores (they have it in pine and cedar) it's only 3/8'' thick so it's fairly light weight.

I covered the panel sections in the ceiling and at both ends of the bed with marine vinyl in a color that co-ordinated with the rest of the paint job.

I also put a layer of CCF behind the vinyl to soften the look.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's washable as you'll be kicking yourself if it isn't.

If u want to see a wild one look up magnolia pearl airstream and look what she did inside. She has tapestry in places but has put up tin ceiling tiles also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm kind of leaning towards the beadboard, for a farm house look. I would have it vertical, then paint the lower half a dark brown, then the upper half a different, light color. I think that would look nice.

That sounds like it will look great

the-emerald-gypsy-2.jpg

Here's a pic of a bus conversion "The Emerald Gypsy"

Attachments

• the-emerald-gypsy-2.jpg
    the-emerald-gypsy-2.jpg
    129.4 KB
You understand that, psychologically, dark colors contribute to a "closed in" feeling, while light colors tend to have the opposite effect, right?

A single panel may not be enough to cover from the ceiling to floor. I may have to use some plywood to cover the rest, close to the floor. Sort of like wainscoting. Hence the reason for two tone paint.

If you're building in various furniture pieces like cabinets and the bed, your wall paneling doesn't have to go all the way from floor to roof height.

I attached 1/4" plywood to the back of the kitchen cabinet unit and then just added a wall panel above that. The same thing with the bed unit. It's separate at the bed platform height.

I did it because, you're right it's just over 48" which means a lot of wasted wood - you can't get two panels out of an 8' length. I was able to lay out the panels on the plywood so that I got maximum use out of a sheet and minimal wastage.

It also let me do fancier wall panels where they show and just used regular plywood where it wouldn't.