wallmart vs. amazon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate Wal Mart (Wall-Apart). I do shop there sometimes, but I'm tired of bottom quality Chinese junk. If quality doesn't matter I'll go there. I'm an Amazon fan all of the way. I'm a Prime Member. Christmas shopping is easy. Just order it. They wrap it and send a card with my personal message. No waiting in line for people who bounce checks, or have to put several items back because they don't have enough money. Also at Wal Mart the employees leave their cart in the middle of the isle until you have to ask them to move it.

thank u jesus for hanes underwear cheap enough to avoid laundry days. Godo bless walmart.

My last experience with Amazon was a nightmare.

I used my Prime to order about 12 or 14 items for another dweller that needed electrical work done. 

The first few items were correct.  Then came what was supposed to be electrical switches.  Ugly party hats.  The Anderson Power Poles and holders were not what we ordered, so I tried to return them.  

It took four separate attempts, totaling close to 4 hours  to get them to figure out what was being returned.  Each attempt started with me doing a cut and paste of the item being returned.  Every time the follow up receipt had the wrong items listed. 

We ended up buying items from local venders, and forgoing some work.  

I am shopping locally as much as possible at the places that employ my neighbors now.

MikeRuth said:
Amazon is typically my first choice even though I have two major Walmart stores within 20 minutes of me. that's usually because I don't need it that quick and I'm a prime member with Amazon so most everything I purchase is shipped free on a two day basis and the price is the same or better usually.

I'm not opposed to shopping at Walmart yet I don't mostly because I don't care for the atmosphere and the folks in general.
If I know what I want and it shows in stock, then I go in, get it and get out! I needed a color printer to print on Cd's a couple years back, they had a Canon in stock dirt cheap. Ordered it online, went down an hour later and picked up and left. Simple and easy.

Don't forget that Lowes and Homedepot are probably two of the most popular places for hardware, lumber etc. An Osh just opened up within a couple blocks of me this week, I'll be going in to see what they have. I'm betting they will have a a lot of what I would most likely get at HomeDepot or Lowes aside from lumber.

But you have to pay to be a Prime member dont you?
I dont like Amazon because i feel they false advertise , for example everything says free shipping and then after i go to check out they say oh no you have to be a Prime member $10 a month , thats when i go buy it from somewhere else if i can because that irks me LOL.
Another thing i dont like about Amazon is they dont let me use Paypal

Walmart if they have it and I need it NOW. Ebay use to be my first stop but recently I have been using Amazon with a Prime membership to get the free 2 day shipping to get stuff here before I leave.

I shop wherever I want to.

I shop online (Amazon or not) when I want something that's hard to find in stores, or when a store that has it is too far away. Sometimes I shop in Walmart but would rather not. It's such a depressing place. And despite their acres of stuff, there have been many times they didn't have what I wanted. I prefer to go to grocery stores for groceries, hardware stores for hardware, auto parts stores for auto parts, and so on.

I have always found it difficult to overnight in Amazon's parking lot . . .

speedhighway46 said:
I have always found it difficult to overnight in Amazon's parking lot . . .

And their wifi sucks too.......

walmart.com has free ship to store with no minimum. A lot more locations than Amazon lockers, but you wait in line to do the pickup at walmart (I don't know about the lockers). I did the 1 month free trial of walmart's 2-day shipping club, worked fine. (Trying to compete with prime, cheaper but does not have the add-ons.)

I'm Amazon all the way! Other than groceries, I buy nearly everything from them. 99% of the time I have had an outstanding experience, including the few returns I do. Pretty much, if Amazon sells it, I buy it from them.

akrvbob said:
I'm Amazon all the way! Other than groceries, I buy nearly everything from them. 99% of the time I have had an outstanding experience, including the few returns I do. Pretty much, if Amazon sells it, I buy it from them.

Bob , do you use the Amazon Prime ?  
I was looking into it but i think it comes out to $120 a year.
I dont think i buy enough stuff to make it worth it , mostly 
small packages that would'nt cost much to deliver.
Thanks

I'm holding my breath, and waiting for Amazon drone delivery... Its all over for Walmart if that ever happens.

Anyways like Bob says, I get 99% of what I need on Amazon. If Im traveling I find a ups store and have them accept my packages.

I loathe Walmart employees just as much as the customers. The older employees seem depressed, and younger ones dont seem like they care. I have been in evey major city in all 48 states including all the Providences of Canada, all Walmarts seem the same. I'm a up beat happy person, but its a drag walking into Walmart. At least with Amazon you simply click on what you want, and its there in 2 days free. Prime also gives you overnight shipping for a third of any other web retailers.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

You can add other people to your Prime account and split the costs. They have to be related, but I figure my friend must be a cousin to me somehow!

LOVE Amazon prime!!!!!!!!!!!!

akrvbob said:
You can add other people to your Prime account and split the costs. They have to be related, but I figure my friend must be a cousin to me somehow!

So they can have a completely separate purchasing account. But they can share your amazon prime account? That sounds complicated. But cool to do if possible. Chop prices into a smaller cost per year.

Am sharing a NETFLIX account right now with a relative to cut costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akrvbob said:

Thanks Bob for that info.
I never knew you could share accounts. 
I am going to look into this, as my younger sister has an account, and with them raising the price of the accounts next year, or so I have heard, I may ask her about sharing an account, to cut the costs for both of us.  We watch the videos on AP and I am always ordering something from them. 
Thanks again for that helpful info.
Merry Christmas Y'all!!!!
Sharon

I think Amazon Prime is great. Yes, you can share accounts with another family member. Or anybody else if they have the same address as you. They can also use their own billing method. On of the greatest things about a Prime membership is the Amazon Prime Video. They have a lot that is not available on Netflix. They also let you download to your phone, tablet, etc. So, when I have a good wifi, I download a few movies to my iPad, then can watch any time.
Just my two cents.

my last apartment complex I lived in had a weird addressing system that seem to confuse UPS and FedEx and USPS.
So since I could get site to store at Walmart that's what I usually used

Milk Hauler said:
I'm holding my breath, and waiting for Amazon drone delivery... Its all over for Walmart if that ever happens.

Anyways like Bob says, I get 99% of what I need on Amazon. If Im traveling I find a ups store and have them accept my packages.

I loathe Walmart employees just as much as the customers. The older employees seem depressed, and younger ones dont seem like they care. I have been in evey major city in all 48 states including all the Providences of Canada, all Walmarts seem the same. I'm a up beat happy person, but its a drag walking into Walmart. At least with Amazon you simply click on what you want, and its there in 2 days free. Prime also gives you overnight shipping for a third of any other web retailers.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I used to be a manager at Wal-Mart. Most of the reason the employees are so unhelpful is that a few years ago Wal-Mart corporate started a policy of taking everybody that worked there for more than a few years and cutting their hours down to one or two days a week. This was done to eliminate employees who had worked there for fifteen to 30 years (of which, before this change, there were many) and had topped out the payscale. Sam Walton encouraged long term employees as he believed it created a good service environment and would increase customer retention. The current company doesn't take such a long view on success. That's why you get apathetic service at Wal-Mart. 

They also cut everybody's hours by around 20% in the first quarter of every year. I was scheduling the garage, they gave me 176 hours to split between six employees in a garage that was open from 7AM to 7PM seven days a week. Do the math on that and you get a picture of how ridiculous the management of the company can be sometimes.