wallmart vs. amazon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveh2112

Reaction score
reading though these posts i see wallmart and amazon seem to be the preferred shopping options for a lot of van dwellers (i guess sears too).

given that prices between amazon and wallmark seem pretty similar, and with wallmart, if there is problem, a lot easy to drive into a store to return something, i would imaging walmart is the way to go, unless you can only find it on amazon.

plus there is the whole wallmart free camping thing so good to support them for that.

any thoughts?

Amazon is typically my first choice even though I have two major Walmart stores within 20 minutes of me. that's usually because I don't need it that quick and I'm a prime member with Amazon so most everything I purchase is shipped free on a two day basis and the price is the same or better usually.

I'm not opposed to shopping at Walmart yet I don't mostly because I don't care for the atmosphere and the folks in general.
If I know what I want and it shows in stock, then I go in, get it and get out! I needed a color printer to print on Cd's a couple years back, they had a Canon in stock dirt cheap. Ordered it online, went down an hour later and picked up and left. Simple and easy.

Don't forget that Lowes and Homedepot are probably two of the most popular places for hardware, lumber etc. An Osh just opened up within a couple blocks of me this week, I'll be going in to see what they have. I'm betting they will have a a lot of what I would most likely get at HomeDepot or Lowes aside from lumber.

I would like to add dollar stores to your list! Love 'em!

I prefer to shop in person when possible, so that I can physically inspect an item before purchase.

I am not opposed to online purchases either though, and sometimes the selection can be far greater.

I made two online ship to store purchases at Wal-Mart while on the road this winter and find it superior to Amazon when one lacks a permanent address.

I like to compare prices and read reviews online for Amazon, I really don't like to go into the huge stores for one item, but if I looked it up ahead of time I will sometimes run into town to pick it up at Wal-Mart. Otherwise, I think I prefer Amazon, I really rely on the reviews. Peaceful day everybelly!

I shop Wal Mart. I shop Amazon. I do like online auto parts. I recently started a Sam's club membership. Amazon has everything. Don't buy things not handled by Amazon. It can be a hassle if something is wrong.

Ebay can also be a good resource; just as for any online purchase check prices ,shipping and reviews. I 2nd the $1.00 stores too depending on what the item is. Paypal has a new service where you aren't billed until you get your item,14 days I believe.I also prefer to actually see the item before I buy it in a store.It's such a pain to have to send something back that you've bought on Ebay or Amazon and wait for your refund or exchange.

I have been using my Amazon Prime quite a bit. I am usually in no hurry. I avoid Ebay like the plague it is, same as PayPal.
I do use Walmart for certain items, as well as Lowes. I also use our new Bass Pro for certain things.

Amazon and Walmart are the two top retailers in America, perhaps the world.  Amazon does it on-line, Walmart does it the old fashioned way, although Walmart is working the on-line angle as well.

Amazon is great, and they have the world's largest selection, even larger than Walmart.  They have an advantage over Walmart because they don't have the overhead of a physical store.  When shopping at Walmart, you can use your smart phone to price compare with Amazon.  But Amazon isn't always cheaper.  An example I like is canning jars.  The same product at Amazon and Walmart, costs $32.92 at Amazon, and $29.49 at Walmart.  At amazon shipping is free for prime members.  What you're paying for is to have UPS bring it to your door.  At Walmart, an employee moves a pallet of jars with a fork-lift, and you have to pick it up and get it "home".  I've found that large, heavy items are often cheaper at Walmart, whereas smaller, easy-to-ship items are cheaper at Amazon.  At Walmart you can see and handle the item, at Amazon you have to use your imagination.  Keep in mind the sales tax advantage for states where Amazon doesn't yet charge sales tax.

Both companies are great.  They fill different niches.  You'd never buy ice from Amazon, or fresh food, but for many things it's easier to buy from Amazon and not have to travel to the store.

I think a big part of this conversation that is missing is how walmart effects the neighbourhood they go into. They are a terrible company in the way they underpay their employees and run the mom&pop shops into the ground with their made in China stuff. That said, me being the hyporcrite I am, I shop there often as I have one a 10 minute walk away. Walmart does not have as good a selection up here in Canada and Amazon often wont ship certain goods to Canada.

I enjoy Menard's also. You can find some great deals there. Also many times things I don't see offered at other store fronts.

well they just built a walmart here, and they are paying 1.75 more than i make at a job i worked for 9 years. they pay well compared to crappy pay in some rural areas. my boss brought all us up a dollar in pay when one of us left to work there. Also, mom a d pop stores here been gouging people for years because they had no competition around for 45 miles, especially hardware stores. i hope they go out kf business, or at least get spanked and lower this inflated prices. so walmart isnt always bad. mom and pop stores arent always good. i shop wherever is cheap and good service.

There are 2 distinct advantages that separates them from each other. Walmart has the advantage in being able to check the item physically and on perishable items. Amazon has nearly everything you can think of. Carb kits Amazon has em but not Walmart. Fresh produce I'd never think of Amazon!

Many things are a lot cheaper at Walmart!! I just put up a link to plastic beg board and bins for it and both are much less at Walmart. The bins are $17 at Amazon and $10 at Walmart.

But I put the link up so you could see what I meant as "peg board bins" is not very descriptive but I don't know how to say it better.

ALL my specialty shopping is done at Amazon, common, everyday stuff is Walmart.
Bob

At Amazon you can sell your used stuff. Works great and better than eBay because you get instant payment.

From my experience, the mom and pop stores that made up "our-little-town's" vibrant downtown were killed decades before Wall Mart, by the regional malls and strip-mall shopping centers. Wall Mart came latter and is putting the hurt on stores such as Sears and Penny's.

good point about the sales tax (no longer) advantage of amazon. i notice they are charging sales tax in CA now, don't know about CO.

steveh2112 said:
good point about the sales tax (no longer) advantage of amazon. i notice they are charging sales tax in CA now, don't know about CO.

In sc the sales tax is collected during tax time when you need to list the retail value of what you bought via mail order. It's an honor tax charge.

WalMart has it's limits, and the Mom&Pops take advantage of that now, offering things Wally's does not, or giving better choice and quality. Also the other big box stress like the major hardware chains have little t fear from Wally's. WM's hardware section is a small section of cheap junk. Ditto their automotive and sporting goods.