Vintage SM Block vs Big Block

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those following this thread might enjoy this video on restoring an old VW. With enough time, money and persistence, anything is possible.

350 engine block with the crankshaft of a 400 (or aftermarket crank with 3.75" stroke) gives 383 cubic inches.
Longer stroke adds torque which is good for a truck.
Seems to have all the good stuff related to the drive train...all depends on how hard this work truck was worked.
If engine compression is good and no major leaks or noises, might be a nice one....I'd try to work the price down a bit.

[unrelated---my brother built a 383 for a Camaro a few years back and that sucker hauled ass big time. Of course the other bits for the motor were not set up for truck use...just for going fast!]

tx2sturgis said:
"And a two-speed rear end....That's interesting.  Definitely set up for work."

Two speed rear end?  Please explain (incl what info indicates that...).  Is that a good thing?
"...set up for work"...What kind of work?  Hauling a bumper pull?  Heavy loads?

Thanks, Texas!
;) Charlotte

2 speed rears were usually just found on the heavier duty trucks and used when carrying a big load.
Usually cable activated with a push/pull knob mounted just below and next to the shift knob. Orange knob in picture of gear lever?
It provided a 'low range' and a 'hi range' for each of the 4 speeds you have with the transmission...effectively giving you an 8 speed.

I just went back and re-read that CL ad and all that stuff just don't sound right.

A Gear Vendor (not Bender?) Overdrive--that gives an extra 'hi range'...useful for highway fuel mileage.
A 2 speed rear end--that gives an extra 'low range'....useful for off road and heavy loads.
These two devices would not affect the front axle so could only be used when the front axle is disengaged.
So for rear wheel drive you would have 8 gears plus if the OD works in both 3rd and 4th you'd have 4 more totaling 12.

There is no mention of the transfer case for the 4 wheel drive, which usually has a hi and low range (shift lever in picture) that affects both axles.....so how all this has been put together is a bit confusing to me.

HDR....HELP! I think I've gotten myself lost. :s :huh: :s

johnny b said:
"I just went back and re-read that CL ad and all that stuff just don't sound right....so how all this has been put together is a bit confusing to me.
HDR....HELP! I think I've gotten myself lost. :s :huh:

Yikes!  You & me both!  I'm beginning to be sorry I asked, LOL :D 
But hey, JB---thank's for taking a stab at it.  

;) Charlotte

tx2sturgis said:
"And a two-speed rear end...."

Texas, I see you are on your  *best* behavior---to have let what would be, for you,
a choice opportunity for one of your wisecracks!

(Just don't keep it up too long, that much restraint is bad for your blood pressure.)

;) Charlotte

ok it's a 383 stroker engine. a 350 block on with a modified 400 crank. the overdrive should read Gear Venders Overdrive not Benders, great overdrive they are rated for a 30,000lbs combined vehicle weight. also it's a 4x4 so it's a K20 a C20 is a 2wd. actually a K/C20 are quite common. I doubt it's a 2 speed rear axle. the add says 3.73gear and Detroit locker. I know of no 2 speed rear axles with a 3.73 gear set. for one thing it would have 2 ratios. 10,500 is way to much money for that truck I just recently bought one for 2k, basically the same truck. nice truck but way to much money in my book. highdesertranger

Thanks, Stranger

OK, didn't understand before that K20 means 4wd...you say they're common, but most all I find on CL
are half tons.  Where do you find your trucks?  CL is pretty much my only option. 

Only other option is to ask my mechanic to keep an eye out among his customers for something appropriate.
I am lucky to have wonderful old school mechanic:  honest, cheerful, skilled----always knows what's up
without just swapping parts until something works.  And he prefers working on old trucks.

:rolleyes: Charlotte

you just got to keep the search up. keep on it. that truck would be a good starter truck for 4,000. for me the 383 is a no starter. in my book you never use a high performance engine for a daily driver 4x4. if you rebuild an engine you use top of the line parts some of which cross over into high performance, like forged pistons, high volume oil pump, double roller timing chain, but a 383 is built as a go fast engine. you don't want that in a truck you want as a reliable truck. highdesertranger

Could be that the owner meant it was a two speed transfer case, since there are some other errors in the ad.

Hi-Lo in a 4WD is normal, but a two speed rear end would be like I said....interesting. 

In fact I have not heard of two speed axles for class one trucks...maybe they are out there but I have never seen one.

I also forgot to mention, the picture is not great but that appears to be a Warn 8274 winch on the front. that's a great winch. in the early 90's my buddies and me bought a pallet load of those at an auction. we got 10 of them for 300 bucks apiece. they were like new take offs from government vehicles. I still have 2 of them one on my Chevy. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"...you just got to keep the search up.  a 383 is built as a go fast engine.  you don't want that in a truck you want as a reliable truck."

You nailed it!  I don't need speed.  In real estate it's location, location, location.
In a truck for me it's Dependable, Dependable, Dependable.  It's gotta be strong/tough
enough to haul a load of alfalafa, or even a load of adobe bricks.  And just in case I
wind up with a TT, needs to have adequate torque, etc.  

And tho I hate to admit it---especially to you, LOL---I want a nice looking truck.  
I am still pining over that pretty high desert beauty Jeep.  I even found another one
on CL, in Reno.  Not completely restored like the first one, but clean & pretty & also
copper.  Yep, I am a sucker for copper or turquoise...(women!  I know...) But I've just
'gotta love my truck.

:rolleyes: Charlotte

tx2sturgis said:
Come to the Dark Side....we have cookies....
The 'dark' side?  Cookies?  That sounds a bit sinister... :dodgy: 
Thanks, but nothing there caught my fancy.  And any truck of mine MUST be stick shift.  I wouldn't be caught
dead with an automatic & in fact have never driven one.  Several of those trucks are lifted, which HDR has
advised me to avoid.  My coonhound has refined taste.  She wouldn't load up into any of those trucks & neither
would I.  

:p Cha Cha Cha

highdesertranger said:
"...that appears to be a Warn 8274 winch on the front.  that's a great winch.  in the early 90's my buddies and me bought a pallet load of those at an auction.  we got 10 of them for 300 bucks apiece.  they were like new take offs from government vehicles.  I still have 2 of them one on my Chevy."

Winches are a new idea to me.  But I suppose if you come to visit me in NM I am bound to end up
winching you up out of some damn mine shaft.   What do you use your for?

:s Charlotte

Just curious I lived in New Mexico for 10 years we're part of you in now I'm in Arizona because it was too cold to stay in my car up around Albuquerque I tried going down to TRC and it was still cold there at night

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

yep all those trucks I would stay away from. let me go through them,

1. 1976. negative, lifted, 400 engine, price I might go 800. positive, 205 transfer case the best. camper special emblems 25 bucks apiece.

2. 1974 this guy doesn't even know what he has. that's a 1 ton = K30. positive Dana 60 front axle = 1200 bucks, narrow dually 14 bolt rear axle, should be a 205 transfer case. I would give him 1k in a heart beat maybe a little more after looking at it. the running gear on that truck can be resold for about 3k

3. 1976 this truck is not worth much the sheet metal on the right side is trashed. 208 transfer = scrap, same with the 350 trans. lifted with 38" tires = gag me. give me 100 bucks and I would haul it away.

4. wow are you kidding me 2500bucks for that. it better have 3 ozs of gold stashed under the front seat. give me 500 bucks and I will tow it out of there.

5. 1985 K10 the biggest POS I have seen in a while. run. I hope he's giving you a tube of KY with it.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yep all those trucks I would stay away from.
"... lifted with 38 are you kidding me...it better have 3 ozs of gold stashed under the front seat.  1985 K10 the biggest POS I have seen in a while.  run.  I hope he's giving you a tube of KY with it."

Glad to see you loosen up as the evening wears on.  Even without the tube of KY! :p
Maybe you should buy the one with the list of usable parts...

btw, what's a POS?  :huh:
Charlotte