Vincent the Prius

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impr3

Reaction score
Meet Vincent the kick-ass Prius. I joke that she's my Prius-up (as opposed to a pick-up) since I've used her to lug around lumber, woodchips by the cubic yard, and stacks of full size sheets of ply (on a DIY roof rig). Now, due to some unavoidable life circumstances (detailed in my intro thread), she gets to become a home too :cool: . I figured I'd post updates as I go both for my own ability to remember what I've done and to provide a reference for anyone else crazy enough to try this too!

20200612_125733.jpg
20200925_124908.jpg
20200925_124326.jpg

I've split this post into sections since I keep getting an error message when I try to post and am hoping that shorter posts might work better. Continued below...

Attachments

• 20200612_125733.jpg
    20200612_125733.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200925_124908.jpg
    20200925_124908.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200925_124326.jpg
    20200925_124326.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 14
impr3 said:
I've split this post into sections since I keep getting an error message when I try to post and am hoping that shorter posts might work better. Continued below...

*Excuse the length of the following, I ended up using this opportunity to sort though my own thoughts and priorities. Please feel free to skim/skip ;) *

I'll be living in her for blocks of between 4 and 14 days depending on my shift schedule (I average one day off per week when I will be able to make the hour+ drive to my tiny house basecamp). I've scoped out a selection of nighttime parking spots to rotate between and a few daytime spots where I'll be able to open up the trunk and utilize outdoor space (parks, secluded back roads) to expand my living area. I plan to take the back seats out and build in storage (following this tutorial: ) and then organize the space with a bed running length-ways on the passenger side and storage on the driver's side. I've concluded that my bare minimum functions for a living space are:
-Sleeping space: The passenger half of the back will be set aside for this.
-Lounging: Sometimes I just need to veg out to a telenovela after work (or read a book when I'm feeling more like a serious grown up). The bed will be a tri-fold that converts into a lounging chair up against the back of the passenger seat.

Continued below...

impr3 said:
Continued below...

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-Soft item storage: Clothing, sheets, towels, etc. I don't need much since I wear scrubs most days and the hospital washes them :D . Planning to build in cabinetry along both sides that will be accessible from the inside for use and from the outside for pulling out laundry/putting in clean items.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-Food storage: Mostly dried goods + an insulated "larder" for cool but not refrigerated storage of things like eggs and durable veg.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-"Cooking": I'm leaning toward a couple of heated travel mugs that should be able to handle oatmeal, sous-vide boiled eggs, reheating thin soups, etc. Unlikely that I'll bother with a propane burner as I can just head home if I have time for actual cooking. Plus, work has a fridge and microwave so I'll likely store a week worth of lunches there and just do breakfast and snacks in the car.[/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-Clean up: Briefly considered plumbing in a sink and decided this would be a waste of space. Going for a folding tub plus a couple gallon jugs for fresh water and one for grey water, should be plenty for brushing teeth plus washing dishes. Washing hands will mostly be sanitizer, but I can pull out the tub if I get them really dirty. I've previously used a camelbak rigged up high to provide semi-pressurized running water so will likely do that as well. Thankfully I have a shower at work.[/font][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-Office space: I often have online stuff to do for work, plus I'd like a desk-ish space for stuff like typing on this forum :rolleyes: . Planning to set up the passenger seat with a fold-down desk from the dash. This will also let me have the passenger seat available for, ya know, passengers :p ...[/font][/size][/size]
[/font][/size][/size]
[/font][/size]

Continued below...

impr3 said:
Continued below...

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-Bathroom: #1 and #2 required as most of my parking options won't include bathroom availability at night, particularly during covid... I will likely store the bucket in the back but use the passenger seat area for the actual act since there's more head-room. I'm very familiar with urine separation and keeping the poop bucket from stinking, though I confess that the higher possible temp of the Prius compared my prior living situations does have me worried about odor...[/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Outdoor expansion: I live in Northern California. It's bloody beautiful here 90% of the time. I plan to make use of that by rigging a bug screen and privacy curtain to hang around my open trunk with a fold out desk and camping chair so that I can chill back there when I have a little extra time in nice weather. I'll be sticking a shelf where the rolling cargo cover would usually be which will work for a kind of indoor/outdoor storage space accessible from both sides.[/font][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-Privacy: To facilitate stealth camping I'll be using diy matte black pop-in window covers plus a folding windshield cover. I'll likely make them all insulated and reversible with reflectix on the back to help keep heat gain down in the summer. I may make some additional lighter weight pop-in covers which will let light in while also giving me privacy, alternative would be getting the windows tinted as dark as possible. There will also be a hanging privacy curtain behind the front seats so it's not obvious to outside observers that I live in there.[/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-Temp regulation: This will mostly be passive using the window insulation detailed above plus caps over the windows to facilitate opening them a little for venting. I've also been looking at making short diy plexi window vents which would insert at the top of the windows before closing the window up to them to clamp them in place (this would allow me to leave the car vented while away with less worry about inviting theft). On the non-passive side, I've also been reading about folks leaving the Prius climate control on overnight which I'm excited to have available during inclement weather (my current RV has no heating or cooling and has gotten pretty danged hot/cold in the past...).[/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-Electric: I have two spare 12v batteries which I plan to tuck into an insulated and vented compartment behind the passenger seat (the least accessible storage in the vehicle as the bed is over it). These will be connected to the original 12v starter battery and alternator via a voltage sensitive relay and to a 110v plug via a battery charger (hoping to only need this max once a week to top the batteries off and keep them conditioned). I toyed with solar but can't think of a way to do it stealth on a Prius since the roof is eye level. I'll also have an easy manual connect to the starter battery so that I can jump it from my house batteries since it has a tendency to die on me.[/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-Lights: Leaning toward some simple LED dimmable strip lighting for minimum power use.[/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/font][/size]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]That's about all I have figured out so far. I'm excited for this project! I'm choosing to view this move as an opportunity to work on my organization skills and comfort living with the absolute bare necessities. Since I think both of these are important skills/qualities, I'm kind of excited (if also apprehensive) about the living in it part too :blush: .[/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/font][/size]

Really the little garden sprayers, a microfiber towel and diluted soapy water in a small spray bottle are all you really need and work well. The Prius 12 volt battery I believe is charged from the big high voltage battery through a heavy wire with a 100 amp fuse. When the big battery starts to discharge the internal combustion engine (ICE) starts and charges it back up. If your 12 volt battery is not holding a charge then you should have it checked. To heat the car without running the ICE frequently in order to circulate warm coolant most leave the car’s heater off and install a 1500 watt inverter connected to the 12 volt battery and plug in a 120 volt ceramic heater and run it on low (750 watts) that way the motor may only start once or twice the whole night to charge the big battery and doesn’t wake you up as often. I was allowed to park at work which happened to be close to a break room/bathroom which worked really well for me and employees knew there was someone near by if they needed it getting to their cars late at night. It never hurts to ask. If you can find some side window rain deflectors it will allow you to open the windows slightly at night to help with condensation. Also the rear hatch tends to leak so Goggle search for a video that tells you how to fix that as a wet bed is no good. Priusoffroad. com sells a 2 inch lift kit which might help clearance a little as you are adding some weight to an already low clearance car. This advice comes from someone that doesn’t even own a Prius but really likes them! With the inverter you really don’t need solar in most cases or extra batteries as the have a really great power supply built in already, just don’t use over 80 amps and you should be fine.

I hear you on the "all you need" thing and have lived that way before. However, if I'm going to be doing this nearly full time for 18 months then I'd like to make things as comfy and functional as possible :) .

I'm also looking at the lift kit but don't think it will be worthwhile unless I can also find a good skid plate as without that I'll avoid the sort of roads where the lift kit would be relevant anyway. Overall, I don't think my build is adding all that weight given I'm also removing the weight of the rear seats. It's definitely less extra weight than a passenger or two.

Been making some progress this last week. Not much time to type so I'm mostly going to let pictures speak for me.

Ran a wire through the firewall from the engine compartment to charge two extra "house" batteries while driving. I know many Prius living folks just run their vehicle 24/7 to take advantage of its generating power, but I'd rather only run it as needed and will eventually be adding solar to minimize that even further. Also note the red "JUMP" switch which will allow me to override the smart battery isolator and jump my car from my house batteries if/when needed :) .
20210215_132742.jpg20210223_102141.jpg

Took the rear passenger seats out along with all the foam on top of the spare tire and then traced the shape of the inside of the Prius at the lowest possible level for a platform (resting on the top of the spare tire).
20210217_105538.jpg

Used scrap from cutting out the platform to build a support to go under it. Note that the rear part of the platform is supported by many separate little blocks not pictured here.
20210221_163225.jpg20210221_163147.jpg

Attachments

• 20210215_132742.jpg
    20210215_132742.jpg
    839.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210223_102141.jpg
    20210223_102141.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210217_105538.jpg
    20210217_105538.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210221_163225.jpg
    20210221_163225.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210221_163147.jpg
    20210221_163147.jpg
    854.1 KB · Views: 4
The platform went in in two pieces since there was no way to get the full sheet into the Prius though the narrow mid-point. The halves are split with a wavy cut instead of a straight line to help with getting the whole thing anchored down flat (no single crease line). The missing circle at the back is for accessing the spare tire.
20210221_175050.jpg

Treated the whole thing with an all-natural mix of beeswax, carnauba wax, and orange oil (I didn't want any potentially harmful chemicals off-gassing in such an enclosed space...). In this pic only the wheel cover is waxed and you can see how it brings out the character without changing the color much. It will also help protect the wood and prevent stains if I spill something. I have no idea why this image is upside down...
20210222_165721.jpg

Added folding storage to the rear foot-wells.
20210225_113649.jpg

Attachments

• 20210221_175050.jpg
    20210221_175050.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210222_165721.jpg
    20210222_165721.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210225_113649.jpg
    20210225_113649.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 4
I think this is the tidiest well thought Prius platform setup Ive seen. Very nice.You don't say which model (or I missed it lol)? Where is the HV battery and the 12v battery is up front?

Finally found this 70's advertisement. In those years RV's were the thing and young people who couldn't afford a Class A, B, or C would buy plans/templates available for about any make (mentioned above) to fit out a DIY stock van with insulation, plywood, and shag carpet. The RV industry was in love with shag carpet in those times. Vans were often called "shag shakers". Some entrepreneurs were even developing training courses to get DIY people into the trade of making conversions for people who didn't have tools or skills.

Van Customizing Course.jpg

In my 20s I had a van with shag carpet and about 3" of foam beneath it. I remember crossing into Canada and being asked about it. I enthusiastically went on and on about how and what I used to build out the van. They let me through and only later did I realize they were probably suspicious about what "else" could be under that carpet.