VIKINGS!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The high ranking Viking was buried in Sweden in the mid-10th century along with weapons and two horses, leading archaeologists and historians to assume she was a man..."

Men have ALWAYS known that women couldn't drive  truck, be doctors, build houses, understand radiation or think constructively.  :huh: :s :( :mad:   Or be scientists.

Being from MN I thought the thread was about football...   but I dig it!   :D
Lagertha.jpg

I'm ready to get the Long House back today. Home has been in the shop while I was backpacking for a week. Ugh...I want my bed.

Viking age here in Sweden where between 700-1100 AD. If you want to learn a bit more about it without having to dive deep into facts
i suggest these two (four) books.

The Crusades Trilogy: The Road to Jerusalem, The Templar Knight, and Birth of the Kingdom
By Jan Guillou. 

It´s a "semi-fictional" book based on history (Some of the caracters are fictional, but the events are real).
It depicts how Sweden/Norway/Denmark went from small scattered "tribes" into larger Kingdoms. 
* really good read, but do not download the movies made based on these books, they suuuuuuuuck! *

Or The Long Ships / Röde Orm by Frans G. Bengtsson. Set in the later Viking Age.

Moderator Note: removed links from post re new member - insufficient thread count to allow links

Swede said:
Viking age here in Sweden where between 700-1100 AD. If you want to learn a bit more about it without having to dive deep into facts
i suggest these two (four) books.

The Crusades Trilogy: The Road to Jerusalem, The Templar Knight, and Birth of the Kingdom
By Jan Guillou. 

It´s a "semi-fictional" book based on history (Some of the caracters are fictional, but the events are real).
It depicts how Sweden/Norway/Denmark went from small scattered "tribes" into larger Kingdoms. 
* really good read, but do not download the movies made based on these books, they suuuuuuuuck! *

Or The Long Ships / Röde Orm by Frans G. Bengtsson. Set in the later Viking Age.

Moderator Note: removed links from post re new member - insufficient thread count to allow links
Curious, the Knights Templar are intertwined with Vikings? I'll be glad when you have enough posts to be able to post those links. :)

Ballenxj said:
Curious, the Knights Templar are intertwined with Vikings? I'll be glad when you have enough posts to be able to post those links. :)

How much Knights Templar and Vikings had contact is up for debate. The last 20-30 years there have been a major academic debate about how much they affected the development here in Scandinavia. 
Carvings and artefacts found in one of the first churches depicts scenes where a person dressed like a Night Templar pays a group of people to build a church in honour of Jesus. It is about this time, 1000 ad, we started converting to christianity, so...it might be correct. 

Some other things also point to the fact that the Vikings had contact and trade with the Middle East much earlier than known before. 4-5 years ago Rings, coins and similar things from 800 AD with Arabic writing where found in a Viking tomb. 

So we now know that Vikings had contact with Middle East and the city of Jerusalem, during the time when the Crusade went on. 
It also seems like that until 1189 AD Vikings (I guess they where more like..Soldiers for hire..) participated and actually fought with the Night Templars and Richard the Lionheart for the control of Jerusalem. 
The Muslims won and the crusaders and surviving Europeans and Scandinavians where sent home with their tail between their legs.....

Swede said:
How much Knights Templar and Vikings had contact is up for debate. The last 20-30 years there have been a major academic debate about how much they affected the development here in Scandinavia. 
Carvings and artefacts found in one of the first churches depicts scenes where a person dressed like a Night Templar pays a group of people to build a church in honour of Jesus. It is about this time, 1000 ad, we started converting to christianity, so...it might be correct. 

Some other things also point to the fact that the Vikings had contact and trade with the Middle East much earlier than known before. 4-5 years ago Rings, coins and similar things from 800 AD with Arabic writing where found in a Viking tomb. 

So we now know that Vikings had contact with Middle East and the city of Jerusalem, during the time when the Crusade went on. 
It also seems like that until 1189 AD Vikings (I guess they where more like..Soldiers for hire..) participated and actually fought with the Night Templars and Richard the Lionheart for the control of Jerusalem. 
The Muslims won and the crusaders and surviving Europeans and Scandinavians where sent home with their tail between their legs.....
 Funny how the more we learn, we find how little we actually knew. I love learning more about Viking history. Thank You. :)

Swede said:
This look exactly like the trip i planned for next year...  0_o
:D

Maybe you can get a danegeld or two along the way......

;)

DuneElliot said:
Only if you get rid of the Viking with the horned helmet...Viking helmets didn't have horns, that was the artistic imagination of Carl Emil Doepler who horned helmets for the first Bayreuth Festival production of Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen.

30123751642_910d4ebb4f_c.jpg

30123750582_0e64927d5a_c.jpg

29608291974_d8fbab3259_m.jpg

30238761245_d1f40920c5_c.jpg
That's just scary!!