VIKINGS!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry a Scottish targe...not quite Viking but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to be able to carry a shield. It's much lighter and easier to handle than a full-size Viking shield

DuneElliot said:
I carry a Scottish targe...not quite Viking but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to be able to carry a shield. It's much lighter and easier to handle than a full-size Viking shield
Got any photos of it? :)

I placed an order with this company in 2015 for one of their axes, and I just got an email yesterday saying there is still a 6 month waiting list but if I wanted to stay in the queue it was time to mail the deposit.  Anyways, started browsing their site and they make some Viking Axes too. They don't come cheap though.  Might need one to go with the shield i'm making.  

Here's their website and a few pics
http://www.northmen.com/en/products/axes/viking-battle-axe

Attachments

• Viking Axe.jpg
    Viking Axe.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Viking Axe 2.jpg
    Viking Axe 2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Viking Axe 3.jpg
    Viking Axe 3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 4
Every Road Leads Home said:
I placed an order with this company in 2015 for one of their axes, and I just got an email yesterday saying there is still a 6 month waiting list but if I wanted to stay in the queue it was time to mail the deposit.  Anyways, started browsing their site and they make some Viking Axes too. They don't come cheap though.  Might need one to go with the shield i'm making.  

Ouch!  Prices at Museum Replicas are MUCH lower.  And no waiting list . . .

http://www.museumreplicas.com/s-41-swords-other-weapons.aspx

I placed an order with this company in 2015 for one of their axes, and I just got an email yesterday saying there is still a 6 month waiting list but if I wanted to stay in the queue it was time to mail the deposit.  
YIKES! This is the closest thing I have to a Viking axe/hatchet. It is hand forged in Sweden by north craftsmen, but is substantially less money than the one you ordered. It;s tempered to about RC 57, and is very sharp.
medium800.jpg

PS, it fits inside my go bag. That's why I chose this one. :)

Beautiful axes. I've ordered all my blades through Dark Knight Armoury. They have an axe or two I'd like, not to mention I've been drooling over some of their long bows for a while. They carry fully-functional weapons and shields but also the decorative kind too. They have an awesome selection.

Ballenxj said:
YIKES! This is the closest thing I have to a Viking axe/hatchet. It is hand forged in Sweden by north craftsmen, but is substantially less money than the one you ordered. It;s tempered to about RC 57, and is very sharp.

I'm not going to go through with that order I placed,  I think I only placed it because they didn't require a deposit. They have a huge waiting list so they'll have no trouble filling my spot.   

I have a Gransfors Bruks small forest axe and a wetterlings mini hatchet.  There are some that say the Axes from Northmen outperform Wetterlings and Gransfors Bruks two fold, so that's what got me curious.  However, I love my small forest axe and have no doubt it will outlive me.  The mini hatchet is neat, it's really small think I have a pic somewhere.......

Attachments

• Eastwing Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe and Wetterlings Mini Hatchet.jpg
    Eastwing Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe and Wetterlings Mini Hatchet.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 12
Ballenxj said:
CRAP  OP! Did you really have to post this at a time when I'm trying to save money?

Hey, is it my fault that you have absolutely no willpower?  Or won't power, as the case may be . . . :cool:

The two-handed Daneaxe was one hell of an awe-inspiring weapon. It was capable of decapitating a horse with one blow. But it does take quite a bit of strength to use it well, and since I am just a little dude, back in my re-enactor days I stuck with the ole spear and shield combination. (And I was, in my younger days, lethal with a rapier.)

There are some that say the Axes from Northmen outperform Wetterlings and Gransfors Bruks two fold, so that's what got me curious.  

I would really be curious to see an honest comparison between the two, as GB is rated pretty highly.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Hey, is it my fault that you have absolutely no willpower?  Or won't power, as the case may be . . . :cool:

That part may not be your fault, but setting that link under my nose when you know I may restraint issues is.
Nope, too late for retractions! I've already copied the link. :p DuneElliot probably has a good idea of which one I'm eyeballing. :)

I made this 9'3" surfboard in September of 1997 immedaitely after surfing a large hurricane swell in Huntington beach, when I really required more surfboard and paddling power to fight the insane longshore  current.

When still on the shaping racks, A friend said it looked like a guppy, a smaller version of an old school pintail longboard. The Name stuck.  It was the third surfboard I ever made.
In 2012, with my other surfboards in drydock for repairs,  I rode the Guppy with a smaller fin than usual, absolutley loved it even more , and Decided I could not let is snap in half.

I Inlaid 1/4 inch thick cedar planks top and bottom over the center stringer to form a strong 'I beam' down the center of the board.  The black stripes are carbon fiber I laid into routed depressions in the deck to bridge over all the heel and toe dents, and glassed over that.

The board has racked up a LOT of mileage in the 5 years since it was rebuilt, it can handle ankle high waves to double overhead.  A very good travelling companion that lives on my Van's ceiling.

Recently I pulled it down for another surf session and saw this:
20170504_125152%20copy_zpsacgrznuo.jpg

So I put it back up there and  pulled down my larger longboard instead.

Back in drydock, more cedar to the rescue:

20170511_001212%20copy_zpspj1qbnpw.jpg

While I am not an adherent Asatru faith, I really like the shape of this Norse Symbol, and Burnt it into the cedar.

Triple Horn of Odin seared into the guppy.
  Long may it ride.
20170513_184356%20copy_zpsuwevmaur.jpg

I fiberglassed over the whole area today using Epoxy resin, but forgot to take more pics.

Saw something in the paper this weekend that led me to revive this old thread.  Figure Dune Elliot will be particularly interested in it.

The remains of a powerful Viking - long thought to be a man - are in fact those of a real life Xena: Warrior Princess, a study released Friday reveals.

The high ranking Viking was buried in Sweden in the mid-10th century along with weapons and two horses, leading archaeologists and historians to assume she was a man, according to the findings, published in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology.

Wrong.

"It's actually a woman, somewhere over the age of 30 and fairly tall, too, measuring around 5'6" tall," archaeolgist Charlotte Hedenstierna-Jonson of Uppsala University, who conducted the study, told The Local."