Video Editing Software

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oopslala

Reaction score
I’ve recently purchased a laptop with both integrated graphics and Nvidia 1060.  I expected Adobe Premiere Pro to work flawlessly, but that would be too easy.  Long story short premiere used integrated automatically and it can only be changed in BIOS, which come to find out, in the laptop I bought is impossible.  

So I either send it back and purchase something that allows me to choose the graphics, or find new software to edit on.

What video editing software do you guys use?

Back when I was making scifi fan films, I used Premiere and After Effects.

Windows Movie Maker will do the job for simple editing.

lenny flank said:
Back when I was making scifi fan films, I used Premiere and After Effects.

Windows Movie Maker will do the job for simple editing.

I was really looking to Premiere, so I’m pretty bummed something that (seems) as simple as them including disabling something in BIOS.

None of the other software is popular enough to have reviews stating if you can choose the graphics card or it auto selects regardless of settings.

I downloaded an open source application called OpenShot. Honestly, I haven't used it yet, so a critique is not possible. It was free to download.

https://www.openshot.org/download/

Looks lite is it supported in all the usual OS.s (Linux, Windows, MAC). It even has a DL for the source code if you're interested.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts if you opt to give it a whirl.
Too bad about Premier ... i always liked that editor. :(

PS:

Have you tried to disable it in the Device Manager? You said BIOS, so not sure if you looked in the manager too or not.

I use Premier Elements on a MacBook. Its capabilities are limited, of course, but it suits my needs. I used Final Cut Pro for many years. Too bad I don't have the computing power anymore to use it.

WanderLoveJosh said:
Magix movie edit pro, its a nice simple cheap software.

ditto on the magix movie edit pro - has more features than I'll ever use

PSS: I don't have Premier on this laptop, but I do have Photoshop CS5. So, maybe Premier is similar ....?
Under the Edit tab, then Preferences, then Performance, look for GPU Settings. There is a segment under that dialog for Detected Video Card. I only have my integrated card displayed because that's all I have, but in your circumstance ... dunno? Worth a shot?

I have been using CyberLink's PowerDirector for many years and quite like it. It was easy enough to learn the basics on but has a lot of features that I am gradually learning how to use.

It makes no sense a computer mfg would install a separate graphics chip and not make use of it. Graphics chips are probably the 3rd or 4th most expensive component in the laptop. Typically you can turn off the integrated graphics chip in BIOS and Windows will see the NVIDIA.

What is the make and model of the laptop? If you can't use the NVIDIA chip, I'd return it.

Open Shot, it is OK but quirky. You have to save often and click here and there to get the scissors thing to work.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

I agree it makes no sense but that is what adobe has done with every since late 2015 if I recall correctly.

I have the Acer Predator Helios 300.

Everything I’ve found with the BIOS stated that it’s not an option with this laptop.

I’ve already set everything to use only the Nvidia 1060 but on adobe start up it defaulted to the integrated graphics. It was hitting about 50% on that and 1-2% on the Nvidia just from having a few videos up to be edited.

The issue with premiere is that adobe automatically goes to the integrated like everything else, except regardless of what you set the settings at once adobe opens, on start up it goes back to the integrated card. This is a known issue since the released CS6, if I’m remembering correctly the last version you can manually switch them was in late 2015.

I’ve uninstalled adobe premiere and installed Sony Vegas Pro trial, Vegas Pro appears to be working pretty well. I rendered a 2 min 4K clip in about 30 minutes. It was 5-6 different videos but no editing done to it. Hindsite I never even tried to render on adobe to see how bad it bogged down just because I read it wouldn’t work. so I’ll have to go back and try that.

I’m pleased with what Sony Vegas is showing so far, I’ll also look into all the ones suggested as well.

Again thanks for the responses!

Modern windows machines have replaced bios with something called UEFI. I'm surprised an Adobe product hasn't figured out graphics systems better than any other vendor. I've met Paul Brainerd, but he's no longer the owner.

Well I have to eat my words about adobe premiere. I reinstalled and tried again. 3.5 minute clip. Contained 18 different video clips and a couple small audio files with minor effects transitions etc. The render only took 2 minutes and the export took 5ish. Uploaded to YouTube in less than 20minutes. All videos shot in 2.7k 60fps.

I plan to test it a lot harder in the near future with longer videos with a lot more editing but my initial impression is very good now. Looks like a YouTube channel could be in the works after all

I've just started using Filmora a couple of months ago - so far, I really like it. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube to will you through just about any task.