Verizon Strikes Again!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
Technomadia is reporting that Verizon is kicking some "unlimited" customers off if they use too much data while roaming.  Apparently, while they can throttle "unlimited" customers speeds on their own network, they can't do so on allied networks some people are roaming on to. Technomadia quoted THIS particular site as their source:

http://bgr.com/2017/06/29/verizon-unlimited-plan-data-caps-vs-t-mobile/

Why should any provider have to pay for someones connection to a different providers network?

I've had my kerfuffles with Verizon. Posted about that here before. I think they are advertising more than they are willing to chew.

They offer the extra service to accommodate people briefly travelling through areas not natively covered.

People consuming a large proportion of their min/txts or especially data GB via roaming are classified as abusers and cut off.

Is that "fair"? is not the question.

If anyone taught you life was fair, they didn't do you any favors.

John61CT said:
If anyone taught you life was fair, they didn't do you any favors.

Well...that's not fair!

:p

Yeah I posted about this in the AT&T thread...I've seen this before.

The carrier will tell you its unlimited data, even when roaming, and then 2 months later you get a nasty-gram saying ooppps...your using too much 'unlimited' data while roaming and now we have to cut you off...

you-keep-using-that-word-i-dont-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means-unlimited-you-keep-using-that.jpg

My son and I have the t-mobile unlimited plan (2 lines for$100). It's unlimited on their network, but only 200 megabytes roaming data. That's good enough for email. I knew that coming into the plan.
Ted

Roaming I can sort of understand, but when they sell me an "unlimited" plan, I sort of expect, well, "UNLIMITED!"
PS, it occurs to me why they sell proprietary equipment. They want to make it a whole new investment before you can change plans.

Technomadia are using their connections as a commercial enterprise. Then they decided to sail out of country. They should pay more.

I have a friend that works in the plants and he goes in for the turn rounds sometimes he  gets planted near a tower that is off network. AT&T banned him from service they did this years ago but when you are in this way maybe it would be best to find a way to know what the towers are for said area you intend to visit? 

Another remedy for this problem may be to get a hammock and a scooter you can leave your rig in the bush and ride to a place where you can setup hammock and sip off free wifi? IDK the best solution but scooters can get you out there are light don't require shifting and are pretty fun to ride.

This is where my plan of having unlimited data on all of the networks comes into play. I rarely worry of roaming because if one carrier is roaming then I use the carrier it is roaming on. Sprint is faster if usable than Verizon roaming on Sprint. Having all four for $56 a month is cheaper than getting the big red plan and being able to hold my head high on a network that is often overloaded. It also allows me to manage the plans in a area like I am in now where all four networks are usable and keep any one device from getting to the point it is throttled when it's carrier is congested.

jimindenver said:
  Having all four for $56 a month is cheaper than getting the big red plan and being able to hold my head high on a network that is often overloaded. 
You have all four for $56. a month? Care to elaborate?

So, I am now joining the discussion on where is the best 10g plan.

I have a karma go (Sprint) but the service is very spotty. Not going to be the best for my future.
I have AT&T on my cell. But, again..spotty service. Not a good choice for travel
I have an OLD iPhone 3. (Same phone since 2009). I worry about losing all the stuff on it. Especially the apps. Anyone know if I can get this carried over to Verizon?

So..do I buy into Verizon? I guess I will have to change cell phone providers anyway...but then also buy a hotpoit device for my laptop and iPad. This is sounding like it is going to get pricey.

I have read through several websites. Watched videos. End result...it is more confusing
now everyone seems to be saying that Verizon sells a product and then denies the service?

Where does that leave people like me..seeking a service for both phone and hotspot that isn't going to be pulled out from under me after paying a largish sum of money.

Ballenxj said:
You have all four for $56. a month? Care to elaborate?

I have a AT&T Mobley with unlimited data for $20 a month. These are free with a 2 year contract and a $45 set up fee. Deal is done in 5 days so jump if you are interested.

I have a 4Gcommunity unlimited Sprint LTE hotspot that cost $250 the first year for hotspot and service. $168 the second year for just service. $168/12=$14 a month.

I have a 4Gantennashop 5 gig T-mobile hotspot with unlimited video and music streaming with their Binge on and Music freedom program for $17 a month.

I have a flashed Verizon 3G hotspot with unlimited data for $5 a month.

I also have two Freedompop hotspots, one Sprint and the other AT&T with limited data but the monthly cost is $0. Perfect for emails and forums.

All are threads in the communication section. Along with my Wilson sleek refurbished booster and directional antenna, I have yet to find anywhere that there is no service at all. The Rockies at 9-10,000 ft is the most challenging and where I designed the system for. It is bad enough that it took two days to tweak the system for streaming.

The maintenance cost is $56. The upfront cost of all of the devices is hundreds of dollars?

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]AT&T Mobley with unlimited data for $20 a month. These are free with a 2 year contract and a $45 set up fee. Deal is done in 5 days so jump if you are interested.[/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks jimindenver, i've tried to order a few times but they were out and after reading your post that's it's ending i tried again tonight and got one, be here in a few days[/font][/font][/size][/font]

Latest posts