verizon hot spot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeptraveler

Reaction score
Hello, hope everyone is having a good evening.  I was wanting to know if you get a Verizon Hot Spot do u have to have Verizon also ? When I boondock I want internet . Can't afford a lot of expensive gadgets.  I've seen youtube videos on the Verizon Hot Spot $ 5  and I checked and ebay has the 4g. If I don't have to pay for Verizon internet I will probably get the Hot Spot.    Thanks Linda ( soon to be a jeep traveler ) :)

yea I think the verizon hot spots are locked to verizon, I haven't seen them on other networks

Those grey market plans and flashed devices are a banned topic here

I looked at them and took a pass.

It's like $275 to have the hotspot flashed so that it only costs $5 per month.

My real problem was I didn't want the headache of worrying if it would get terminated at some point and I didn't get my $275 worth of internet.

I also make my living on the internet, so I need something reliable. But I wanted something reasonably priced.

I went with...

Straight Talk (TracFone) Unlimited plan (really 60 GB per month) for $50 per month using autopay and LG Stylo 3 Phone $129 which is hotspot capable. It uses Verizon.

Net Buddy Unlimited (appears to be truly unlimited with no throttling) only been using for a week. $60 per month. Hotspot was $112 from Amazon. It uses AT&T.

So I pay $110 per month. I can write it off as a business expense and I'm fine paying that much even if I couldn't.

Another possible option if you don't need a hotspot / fine just using a phone is Simple Mobile. It too is also TracFone and uses Verizon and they claim their unlimited plan is truly unlimited. It's $50 per month. Haven't tested.

Thanks roger for good options. If I buy Lg style 3 phone from straight talk is the hotspot capability there by default, or are there some steps to get hotspot capability? I ask because it seems like hotspot use is always against the rules. Also what happens when I go over 60gb? Seems they frown on that to some extent?

patfromny said:
Thanks roger for good options.  If I buy Lg style 3 phone from straight talk is the hotspot capability there by default, or are there some steps to get hotspot capability? I ask because it seems like hotspot use is always against the rules.  Also what happens when I go over 60gb?  Seems they frown on that to some extent?
If you do Straight Talk be sure to get everything on the RED plan for Verizon.  Blue plan is AT&T.

RogerD said:
Net Buddy Unlimited (appears to be truly unlimited with no throttling) only been using for a week. $60 per month. Hotspot was $112 from Amazon. It uses AT&T.

Can someone maybe provide a link to Net Buddy Unlimited and the Amazon hotspot? When I searched, all I got was a mess. Thanks!

patfromny said:
Thanks roger for good options.  If I buy Lg style 3 phone from straight talk is the hotspot capability there by default, or are there some steps to get hotspot capability? I ask because it seems like hotspot use is always against the rules.  Also what happens when I go over 60gb?  Seems they frown on that to some extent?

It was hotspot capable. I didn't have to do anything.

I have no idea what happens if you go over 60 GB.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-14-10-58-05.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-14-10-58-05.png
    78.7 KB
Please with all the different options discussed here, which ones use the VZW network?

And which network do the others use?

Netbuddy uses AT&T. The mentioned Straight Talk plan is on Verizon. Correct me if wrong.

RogerD said:
This is what I purchased.

All I had to do was put the sim card in the hotspot and it worked.

https://netbuddy.co/product/activated-sim
https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Explore-Mobile-Rugged-Hotspot/dp/B01LR7ETHY

Thanks too RodgerD for the details for both Straight Talk and Net Buddy.  Does Net Buddy send a sim that can be cut down to multiple sizes like you get when you buy a byod sim at best buy or walmart?  I have an two older at&t hotspots that use the larger standard size sim.

You can buy holders very cheap to use smaller SIMs in bigger slots

Thanks, I suppose even BestBuy or Walmart might carry the holders?  If not there is online.

Straight talk is either AT&T or Verizon.  It depends on what you buy.  RED labeling is Verizon and BLUE labeling is AT&T.  If you go with Straight talk for your service just make sure the device and the SIM both have the same color labeling.

Straight Talk does not allow a phone on their network to be used as a hotspot. Read their TOS.

GotOldEarly said:
Straight talk is either AT&T or Verizon.  It depends on what you buy.  RED labeling is Verizon and BLUE labeling is AT&T.  If you go with Straight talk for your service just make sure the device and the SIM both have the same color labeling.

Thanks!

Latest posts