I found a great guy... has the verizon 4g hot spot mifi..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using the Verizon Mifi for about 13 years. It has always worked great. I have taken it all over the country and as long as it is within reach of a cell tower it will work. Never had problems with it unless it needed a new battery which only happened once. It is very useful to me for getting info on my laptop or doing email because the phone is too small for me to see maps well enough and it's too hard to write an email on it. I have been very happy with it.
i don't think i specified the exact model of mine...an inseego 5g 2000 mifi. so it's only been in production - for a year? i thought verizon and tmobile (my carrier) used the same inseego 5g mifi. maybe i'm wrong... i bought mine in winter 2021.
but yours is not 5g.
glad you had good experiences w yours.

I have a Verizon JetPack MiFi 6620L. I bought it in Fairbanks, AK in 2018 and have used it a lot when on the road. I’ll probably need to replace it soon as I’m limited to 4G LTE and it’s starting to periodically reboot. Also the last update was in Sept 2020, so the software/firmware is getting kinda old. But - it worked just fine on my most recent trip up north.

but yours is not 5g.
Actually my connection got upgraded to 5G not too long ago.
It still is probably not the best or most technologically advanced way to do things but it works great for someone who goes all over the country.

Actually my connection got upgraded to 5G not too long ago.
It still is probably not the best or most technologically advanced way to do things but it works great for someone who goes all over the country.
so do you travel mainly within reach of cell towers? does that mean - like, not out in the middle of nowhere, but kind of city or interstate nearby? idk - i got so fed up with my 5g inseego mifi, after i ended up mainly using one of my two phones for hot spotting, i finally dumped the worthless thing...

I travel wherever. And yes it does mean I need a cell tower within reach but I have found that in a lot of places that people might call middle of nowhere there are cell towers within reach (which doesn't mean they are necessarily nearby or visible to us). I never city camp or near an interstate unless absolutely necessary for one night.
One place I go regularly I have to go up on a hill to connect, as it won't work in a valley kind of middle of nowhere, if the tower is on higher ground. You learn the various tricks, but it works fine even if there are occasionally times when it is out of range of a tower. Not as often as one might think, though.....those towers are almost everywhere now. There are a few places I go where the towers are too far away but I don't think anyone would be able to connect with anything short of satellite in those places. When I go there, my plan is to be mostly incommunicado, and I enjoy that.

Look on eBay ...search for unlimited wifi hotspot
I was using at& t for $35 never throttled once now I am using Verizon mifi through PagePlus.
Both found on eBay.

I travel wherever. And yes it does mean I need a cell tower within reach but I have found that in a lot of places that people might call middle of nowhere there are cell towers within reach (which doesn't mean they are necessarily nearby or visible to us). I never city camp or near an interstate unless absolutely necessary for one night.
One place I go regularly I have to go up on a hill to connect, as it won't work in a valley kind of middle of nowhere, if the tower is on higher ground. You learn the various tricks, but it works fine even if there are occasionally times when it is out of range of a tower. Not as often as one might think, though.....those towers are almost everywhere now. There are a few places I go where the towers are too far away but I don't think anyone would be able to connect with anything short of satellite in those places. When I go there, my plan is to be mostly incommunicado, and I enjoy that.
do you use an app to find your towers, or just go 'up?' are you able to stream, or do you do this mainly to stay in contact for texts and phone calls? i've got two phones, each of which can be a mediocre hot spot. never figured out the - external antenna business...

I actually do not use apps at all. I only use my phone for calls and texts. It goes through the phone connection and doesn't use wifi or the hotspot at all.
I use my laptop for everything else, and even on that I do not stream anything, as that doesn't interest me. I prefer to read books rather than spend time with a screen.
I just try it and if it doesn't work then I don't bother about it. I always know where a town is, or a highway, and would just go there if I needed to communicate if my phone didn't connect. If I am going to be truly far out of range for more than a day or so I tell someone where I am going to be and that I will check in with them on X day. I do everything as simply as possible. :)