Vent: Another one feeling discouraged.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anewbiewannabe, my heart goes out to you because I too have multiple chronic health issues, but I also have a loving spouse, thank God, and with his help we're still able to travel and work and contribute where it's needed.

While reading the responses on this thread (I love this forum; there are so many good-heated members here), one persistent thought kept looping in my mind.  Have you ever thought of sharing your adventures with a friend?

There does seem to be rather a large number of members even here on this one forum who have health issues too, and the kind of health issues that are preventing them from taking to the open road.  If I didn't have Brian (my husband), I'd at least try that tactic, even though I'm probably a definitive hermit/loner  (and no, living my life center-stage doesn't make that untrue).  If I wanted to travel badly enough, I'd find a friend to share the journey.  Vehicle expenses would be halved, for a start, and having someone with you who understands physical challenges would be comforting and safer - for both parties.

Just thought it was worth a mention.  If you don't like it after a year, you can always change your MO.

There has to be someone 'out there' who would jump at the chance to travel with you, someone with whom you are compatible in terms of needs and personal preferences (wants, likes, dislikes, abilities, etc.).

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Shalom,

Jesse.

Thanks Jesse, I've thought of the friend thing before even for s&b but things never materialized on the other ends. I think this next chapter of my life needs to be a whole fresh start again finding everything anew. I need some time with few demands where I can focus on what I want rather than having to consider anyone else 24/7. Maybe down the line I'll find a travel buddy but I'm more interested in making friends with like-minded people along the road even if only passing by. I need to feed my soul by being alone in wild places more than being with others for a while. I'll track down other dwellers should I find the need for company occasionally. The demands of van dwelling will be much less than the ones here that I can't keep up with now. I hear that long ago dream of the road and wilderness calling.....

I hope things have gotten taken care of and you are on your way. You are still in my thoughts and prayers.
Ella

Ella1 said:
I hope things have gotten taken care of and you are on your way. You are still in my thoughts and prayers.
Ella

Thanks Ella, I appreciate it. :) The wheels are in motion and I seem to be getting the message to make the changes sooner than anticipated so I'm trying to shuffle my dominoes so they will fall right sooner so I can find my van home and be on my way.

You might want to look into high school or vocational/community shop classes for repairs to your vehicle. I also suggest that you get a manual for the engine. I have a Detroit book (actually two) that I bought off Amazon for the bus and a Haynes book for the Jeep. Sometimes it's an easy fix, other times not. If you are unable or unwilling to do engine repair work, even minor, then you will just have to pay someone to do it. Many NAPPA stores have shops attached.

Compassrose, great ideas. School's out for the year here with no summer program---I just checked, but definitely something to keep in mind. We still had auto shop in our HS when I went but that all moved to joint vocational schools or career academies somewhere along the way so out of sight out of mind since I've been in this county. I'm amazed at how little even most of the boys around here know about working on cars---it's country out here for goodness sake! Then again, all the computer stuff or something I guess has many removed from thinking about doing anything for themselves.

After some experiences over the years I don't know that I'd want anyone but a shop to do any major work unless I'm doing it myself, which isn't as possible nowadays. Brakes, flush and fills, the basics would be good though.

I agree about having manuals. I always have at least a Chilton or Haynes for my vehicles and always recommend it, but I haven't had one for a specific engine for years---other than for mowers. I wish they went into more detail on the engine than they do in the Chiltons and Haynes, but then again maybe I just can't follow it anymore.

On the plus side I took care of some things myself and the car is running fine for now til I can get some routine replacements done. I got distracted by other things and didn't think to mention it before.

Ultimately it always comes down to money, whether for parts or labor and parts. There's the challenge. The rotors have to wait again because another emergency popped up, but I get the brakes inspected once in a while by the shop I use to make sure that they are still safe just not the best. I keep my driving to a minimum in the meantime.

I think teaching auto shop at school used to be more practical when automobile engines were solely mechanical. Now that engines are highly computerized, requiring expensive diagnostic tools and an insane amount of knowledge to fix them, it isn't within the budget limits of most High Schools to offer the subject.

Jesse.

compassrose said:
A lot of community colleges have automotive repair courses.

Mm-hmm, rose, as would any technical college, but I don't believe those courses are offered in High Schools anymore - thus narrowing the field.

Shalom,

Jesse.

In the US there are high schools that have ROP (Regional Occupation Program) where the students get trained in many things... But since they have a schedule, you would have to find one that has your particular problem on the list to get the work done.