Van Shopping in Phoenix - Help Welcomed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS:  Thanks for that nice link.  I was pulled away from CRVL yesterday, so just getting to see it now.  Please check your PMs.

Gary:  Still working through the list.  Send more if you want or take a break.  Don't want to overwork you! ;-)

Generally speaking, when I first arrived here to car shop, there was ironically no time to car shop.  Too many life errands (buy toilet paper, flu medicine, food, etc).  I did car shopping in the cracks between survival tasks.  Slowly that ratio is shifting away from essentials and toward car shopping mainly.  This week is the first week that I think I'll be 90% dedicated to car shopping.

Vagabound

On the truck SS posted, check very carefully on the rust spots near the front cab corners, might just be surface rust, might be deeper

ArtW said:
On the truck SS posted, check very carefully on the rust spots near the front cab corners, might just be surface rust, might be deeper

Art,

SS was incredibly nice to point out that truck and offer to help.  

Thanks for the heads-up.  I also noticed the rust on the leaf springs as well.  Fortunately (maybe), it isn't an issue. Contacted the seller and someone put a deposit down 15 minutes prior.  Fate.  Not that I really wanted to trapse all the way to Connecticut to pick it up, but I did momentarily like playing with the idea of a road trip adventure, sweaters, and the last remnants of fall leaves.  

The search continues ...

Vagabound

Vagabound, check the Dallas Craigslist, I looked thru it last night and saw several that might be worth looking at. Don't know if traveling that far is anything you would want to do..

If you see anything you want close up pictures, email me or pm and I can get you some detailed pics. Rob

Gunny said:

If you see anything you want close up pictures, email me or pm and I can get you some detailed pics. Rob

Thanks for the Dallas idea and offer, Rob. However, are you in Dallas now?   Somehow I got the idea that you were in Havasu.

Vagabound

I'm in Ft Worth, had a surprise dr's appt. so stayed at home and pouted.

Gunny said:
I'm in Ft Worth, had a surprise dr's appt. so stayed at home and pouted.

Sorry to hear that. I'm stuck in Phoenix with no van to build out yet, and also pouting. I guess we've got something else in common. Hahaha

Edit: However, I did finally buy a laptop today, so no more small phone typing. I'm going to be Hell on Wheels. Watch out Craigslist!!! ;-)

Vagabound

It took me six months to find the right class a that I could afford. I just decided I wasn't going to compromise or go over budget.

I'm going to make it to RTR then decide whether to keep or sell the RV.

Best of luck with your search..Rob

I didn't mean any sort of snub on SS, he was indeed being very nice, to post, I just wanted you to be aware of those spots
I've had truck like that before, mostly they didn't leak, but one did, it was not cool

I never thought the snub thing, and I'm pretty sure that SS didn't either, and I appreciated what you had to say as usual. 

Thanks,

Vagabound

No snubbing thoughts here!  :)  Here's hoping Vagabound hits paydirt soon!!!

Hi Vagabond. This thread is amazing. I can only hope these beautiful people show as much support for me when I'm doing EXACTLY as you. Damn nice folks.

Hey. I just watched a video on a guy who flips cars. He said some people ask for a bill of sale along with the pink slip. What do you think? Should we ask for ID to confirm a signature? Does it matter? It's not like we can go back to the guy who sold the van to us after the axle falls 50 miles down the road.

mikEXpat said:
Hi Vagabond. This thread is amazing. I can only hope these beautiful people show as much support for me when I'm doing EXACTLY as you. Damn nice folks.

Hey. I just watched a video on a guy who flips cars. He said some people ask for a bill of sale along with the pink slip. What do you think? Should we ask for ID to confirm a signature? Does it matter? It's not like we can go back to the guy who sold the van to us after the axle falls 50 miles down the road.

What?  This group of goofballs?!?  ;-)  

Yeah, I agree.  Lots of helpful people, several of whom follow along and seem to take a vested interest.  And occasionally a lurker pops out at just the right time with the right piece of info.  Pretty neat.

Bill of Sale:  Well, there's what many people are used to, and then there's what I'm used to.  Often those don't coincide.  What I'm used to doing is having a simple, DIY bill of sale printed, one that I've always made because the other guy isn't prepared.  Fill in the blank.  It's just a basic record of the transaction.  Who, what, when, where, etc.  Complete two original copies -- one for buyer, one for seller.

ID:  If I'm selling, and the buyer doesn't care, I don't care about ID.  On the other hand, if I'm buying, I do care.  I want to confirm the identity of the person I'm dealing with, and also that this person has the right to sell this vehicle (name on title matches ID matches person).

How many people are really doing that in practice?  No idea.  My guess is not a lot.

Vagabound

mikEXpat said:
He said some people ask for a bill of sale along with the pink slip. What do you think? Should we ask for ID to confirm a signature? Does it matter? It's not like we can go back to the guy who sold the van to us after the axle falls 50 miles down the road.

I got hosed once so now I ask if the title is in the seller's name.  The problem is not not so much finding the seller again when the axle fails, the problem is buying an RV from someone who doesn't legally own it.  The DMV may not be amused, and you may not be able to get the vehicle titled/plated.

If I don't have a printed one, I can write one up on the spot, most folks don't realize you can do that, but you can, and it's legal, at least here in Tx
Still, it's nice to have a printed one

I --print name- sell one ------ ----- vin#------------- to -print name- for $$$$

both parties sign and date