Van or Chevy 2500 truck?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I am experiencing difficulty and frustration with chasing vehicles on Craigslist (expected, huh?) so I am broadening my horizons and considering other set-ups.  Besides a camper van, I am open to a truck pulling a used little 18' RV trailer.  I have come across a nice 2004 Chevy 2500 pickup (176,000 miles), a 1997 Diesel Chevy 2500 pickup (165,082 miles).  My only concern with the diesel is that I am unsure how much more expensive it would be to upkeep and if it is turbo diesel I am shying away because anything 'turbo' has lots of upkeep needed at short mileage intervals.

I also came across a Chevy 2500 Express van (180,000 miles) 6.5 v8 diesel and a 2 inch tow hitch and thought, "hey, I wonder if I could use this as a tow vehicle, AND a temporary place to stay if my rv trailer is in the shop?!"  Could I use this as a tow vehicle since it is the same size engine as a truck and has a tow hitch?

Truck or van?  :)

A diesel pulling a 18 footer? Hehe overkill and maintenance is a bit more. That 2500 van should be able to tow the 18' rv trailer. Thats what Id do...van plus small TT for maximized living spaces. But I wouldnt buy diesel (perssonal preference) for just a van or small TT. Thats up to you.

Van for sure.

Diesel overkill may well come in handy down the road, nice to have torque in the hills.

Longevity too. . .

TravelingDruid said:
Well, I am experiencing difficulty and frustration with chasing vehicles on Craigslist (expected, huh?) so I am broadening my horizons and considering other set-ups.  Besides a camper van, I am open to a truck pulling a used little 18' RV trailer.  I have come across a nice 2004 Chevy 2500 pickup (176,000 miles), a 1997 Diesel Chevy 2500 pickup (165,082 miles).  My only concern with the diesel is that I am unsure how much more expensive it would be to upkeep and if it is turbo diesel I am shying away because anything 'turbo' has lots of upkeep needed at short mileage intervals.
Truck or van?  :)

Many 18' lightweight TTs weigh 3000 lbs +/- empty, maybe 1200 more when loaded for bear. Many pickups with medium V8s, as well as similar vans, are tow rated at 7 or 8000 lbs. If you can find a good vehicle like this, or even one with a straight 6, you might get the best of both.
I think if you can get near twice the loaded weight of whatever you're towing, you should be ok.
Of course just MHO, but don't really see why you'd want to pay for three times what you need, unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the Rockies or such. Not all diesels are the nirvana that some think they are.

My TT is a 21 foot, 3163lb dry, according to the paperwork
I've spent time looking ant tow ratings, and pretty much any 1/2 ton truck with a V8 has a tow rating well above that, with 'light' 3/4 ton V8 vans having around 7500
I wouldn't do a 1/2 ton pickup with straight six because tow rating is only 55-6500
At nearly 2-1 rating to trailer weight, I'm happy

My 08 dakota couldve handled that no problem. Was a V8 crew cab 4x4

re:
I wouldn't do a 1/2 ton pickup with straight six because tow rating is only 55-6500
At nearly 2-1 rating to trailer weight, I'm happy

Thanks.  A chevy 1500 might work if it is a v8-banger then?  Otherwise a Chevy 2500?  I am just worried about my driving up and down Tennesee and Colorado mountains (which I WILL do).  The TT I am considering (other than a camper van):

UVW  3,155 lbs    Hitch Weight 377 lbs    Cargo Capacity 722 lbs   Exterior Length 21' 5"    Exterior Width  85"   Exterior Height  10' 11"

So, if I did this right, your max weight of your trailer is still sub 3900#. 2500 isnt a bad option, unless you plan to get a much larger rv later on. A gasser 3/4 ton will do the job just fine. But, it depends on your budget. The extra expenses for upkeep on the diesel may or may not be worth it for traveling style.

A Chevy 1500 PICKUP with a 350 or 5.3 would handle it, a 2500 would be better, in the mountains, especially in terms of durability
I'd go with a 2500, if I could get one for the same cost as a 1500 or nearly the same cost
It'll maybe eat a bit more gas when unhooked, but when trailering it'll get the same MPG as the 1500 would when trailering.
Hell, I considered a 1 ton, but it was massive overkill for a TT that'll probably never be over 4000 lb, and the one found for cheap had a hitch in it's giddyap around 50-55, that I thought was a bad Torque Converter clutch solennoid, plus a leaking oil pan
that plus the cost of the high load range tires made me think twice about that one
I eventually found and settled on a 3/4 ton van, and will likely leave the TT home

TravelingDruid said:
The TT I am considering (other than a camper van):

UVW  3,155 lbs    Hitch Weight 377 lbs    Cargo Capacity 722 lbs   Exterior Length 21' 5"    Exterior Width  85"   Exterior Height  10' 11"

722 lbs isn't much, especially after you subtract your water, propane, batteries, etc.
Plan on carrying stuff in your tow vehicle, and make sure you have the payload capacity for it.

Of the three, without seeing any pics or knowing condition or prices, (in general) I'd say that a gasser is cheaper to operate and maintain HOWEVER of the three I think the van could work quite nicely, as long as you were willing to educate yourself on the 6.5.  Several forum members have re-purposed ex-Air Force crew vans which utilize the 6.5. Do a search and you will see what I mean.

Nothing wrong with a PU with a topper, you could store most of your things in the back, as well as have a lot of tongue weight capacity due to it being a 3/4 PU. Thats the problem with 1/2 PU's or vans, they often have little payload left (especially conversion vans).

The 3/4 PU is needed for your trailer, sure a 5.3 half-ton will pull it but its stopping that is also kinda' important as "what goes up the hill has to come down the hill".  Even though the trailer may have brakes, I have personal experience with trailer brakes failing and having to use the tow vehicle to stop the whole rig down a mountain pass.  I was glad I had the 1 ton's brakes...

Depending on the make and year, a 1 ton SRW could have only 500# increase in GVWR over a 3/4. There's actually little difference between the GVWR of many 3/4's and 1 tons. Now there can be rear axle differences, but its all very platform specific.

Stay away from a 6 cyl 1/2 T PU or van, for obvious reasons. If you were a "flatlander" maybe. You have to remember the frontal area wind resistance on a full sized TT, it's not just loaded weight. That's why you can haul a boat that weighs 5,000# a lot easier than a 5,000# TT.

My take, anyway.

I know it hasn't been brought up but in my book if you want a 4x4 go with the pick up. highdesertranger

Anybody know of any big issues on 2007 Toyota Tundras? I have found one. I found two Chevy Silverados but the are 1500's and a bit smaller V8's and incredibly more expensive with more miles. The Tundra only has 83,000 miles and I like the large engine and incredibly ample towing capacity for my 3,000 lb trailer (LOL):

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 DOHC 32V
Regular Cab 6AT 2WD
10,400 lb towing capacity, 401 torque

Try searching Google under "2007 Toyota Tundra Problems":

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]2007 5.7 reliability ?s - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra ...[/font]
[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=small]www.tundratalk.net › ... › Tundra Discussion › Tundra General Discussion[/font][/size]
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-reliability-s.html+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
https://www.google.com/search?safe=...&ved=0ahUKEwjAr7vQt5_TAhXKfrwKHTn0CiwQHwg4MAM
[size=undefined]Jun 24, 2011 - 9 posts - ‎7 authors
So I was doing some research and reading reviews, and was really surprised to find that I was reading about a lot of problems with the 2007 ...
2007 Problems???
11 posts
Jul 28, 2014
Famous Transmission/TC slipping issues - TundraTalk ...
12 posts
Feb 28, 2013
2007 electrical or 4x4 problems
7 posts
Jan 19, 2012
2008 Tundra Transmission Problems "rumble strip"
15 posts
Apr 18, 2008
More results from www.tundratalk.net
[/size]