Van or Cargo Trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camper

Reaction score
This is in the van section.... but don't let it influence your answer.

I sold my heavy RV, and now ready to buy something else.

I like a cargo van for not having to go from truck to trailer, but I like a cargo trailer for being able to stand up in it.

There's good and bad to both.....  which would you buy to camp and travel on long trips?

Can't afford a tall van, unless it was old.

I am in an old Dodge conversion van with a high top I really like it a lot better than my low top safari that I used to have. I am able to almost stand erect maybe 3/4 of an inch more would help but at the price I got what I could and make do with with it. That said I plan to be moving into a nice cargo trailer on the 18th when they pull my ticket out of those thousands of tickets at HOWA For the Weeroll trailer. LOL if that happens I will be happy and anyone who read this would be suspicious. But I do have quite a few tickets. I thought this is a way I can help HOWA and maybe help myself; two birds with one stone? I’d never liked to kill birds. If I had all the money I need it for such a thing I would be in a hightop probably a sprinter.

Being able to stand if inside a lot is a number one priority. Being that full timers have lots of stuff (weight) and space becomes a second priority. Being able to tow with a 4x4 pickup to access more remote areas or use as a base camp would be great. The only place a van would work better for me is if I urban camped a lot, spent my time outside the van except for sleeping, and traveled most days. It just depends on your preferences.

Camper said:
Can't afford a tall van, unless it was old.

A trailer won't pull itself so you're gonna need a tow vehicle...add the price of a cargo trailer and a capable, reliable tow vehicle, plus conversion work on the trailer....cant be that much difference cost-wise than just the high roof van of comparable year and condition plus conversion. 

Its really much better to figure out what YOU want, rather than to crowd-source your decision. Or so it seems to me.

well I vote for a 4x4 truck and a cargo trailer. although not as easy to drive I feel it's much more versatile. highdesertranger

I have a 4x4 Silverado, will probably just go with a new 6x12 cargo trailer. I don't really want to sell my truck.

That would be my choice as well although only if you are less than 6’ tall and will only have a single bed 30” wide. It is nice if you can have the ability to sleep in either direction, front to back or side to side, any open floor space is usually prized. I would also want a dual axle with spring suspension. If I could make it happen like tire sizes and wheel pattern trailer and tow vehicle would allow carrying one spare or have two spares that fix either the tow vehicle or trailer. Electric brakes on both axles as well as an equalizer hitch with sway control. Curb side entry door with flush mount handle, a V nose with a door in the V would work as well. I would want the roof arched just enough it had no standing water with no plastic end caps or roof trim. Unfinished on the inside so all lines could be installed inside an accessible trim panel where the roof and wall meet. Teardrops and Tiny Trailers has a cargo conversion forum you could reference for many more ideas and pictures.

I will buy one the the GA made trailers with v-nose and single axle.... only 1200#.

I also vote for a dual axle with leaf spring suspension. they just handle by leaps and bounds so much better. they also tow so much better. I also vote to have the same size tires on the trailer as on the tow vehicle. sorry if I missed it, but do you plan on driving off highway? highdesertranger

no but I can get a new single axle trailer for $2100, I won't pay double for a dual axle at my age. I might not get to use it but one time.

Camper said:
I have a truck.

Ok, then I think the answer is a cargo trailer...all the mostly straight walls, and 90 degree angles, makes it much easier to convert. And you end up with a camper that requires no explanation to the insurance company or the DMV, is reasonably priced, a budget friendly conversion (usually), completely customizable, fairly agile and easy to pull, and is a good place holder when you need to make a run into a nearby town for supplies and provisions. 

It will also function well for you even if if your tow vehicle breaks down and needs to be in a shop for a day or a week. And if you do end up buying a new tow vehicle, you dont have to start all over.

Who knows what the future will bring with my age and health issues.

By the time you pay for an electric tongue jack, stabilization jacks on the rear and two sets of wheel chocks which you will need to keep it from rolling or tettering while you try to unhitch after blowing a tire and doing a large amount of damage you might realize a dual axle would have been cheaper and a better option. I didn’t figure I would make it to 30 years old, I’ll soon be 70. If you are going to use it only a few times and know you will be gone soon rent a nice RV on a credit card and enjoy your last few days. I won’t be upset if my credit card interest go up a few cents! Lol!!! Good luck and best wishes.

I'm buying a single axle, v-nose, white, barn doors (no ramp) and a side door.

Have you ever hitched or unhitched a single axle trailer on uneven ground before? If you haven’t be sure to chock both wheels front and back, put some blocks in back so if it tetters down in the rear you will still have room to put a jack under the rear frame. I hope you are physically able to crank the tongue jack and run back and forth to check everything is doing okay before attempting to undo the coupler as it may shoot straight up till the rear frame lands on the blocks. Also make sure to run down the tongue jack till it is almost down just in cast it tries to suddenly tetter down. If it doesn’t then make sure you have enough clearance at the rear to use the tongue jack and clear the trailer ball. Be sure to have something under the tongue jack to keep it from sinking in as there may be a lot of weight on it depending on the uneven ground you are on. It doesn’t take much to make single axle trailers tetter. Sometimes just opening the rear doors will be enough so always be prepared for it to happen. The safety chains should always be connected properly to catch the coupler should it become disconnected and prevent the tongue from digging in and pole vaulting the trailer into the bed of your truck.

wow....well I never had any of that stuff happen with my single axle trailer...ever. But of course, I have a sand foot on the tongue jack, stab jacks at the rear once I have set up, and of course, wheel chocks. 

If the trailer is properly loaded, front to back weight is good, then dropping and hooking properly is mostly an un-eventful procedure.

Yep...blowouts can happen. I carry a spare tire for the trailer and always bump the tires and feel for hot tires and bearings, several times a day during travel, and also I carry a 12v air compressor and a plug kit...but yeah....stuff can always happen. No argument there.

But I like to stack the deck in my favor.