Van or Cargo Trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I carry my own little black cloud over me like the cartoon character! Lol!!! All of these things I get to watch happen as I spend a lot of time at the boat ramp/dock/parking areas. Several weeks worth of supplies in cargo trailers for house boat trips, four wheelers and jet skies in cargo trailers and people camping in cargo trailers waiting to go out on the lake. You would not believe the width and length of the boat ramp here, 150’ wide by up to 1,500’ long depending on lake level at a slope you can barely walk up. A speed bump at the top manages to disconnect several trailers every year. The road out in 110 degree weather is littered in pieces of blown tires. Lots of first time trailer towing going on. A single axle trailer with the tongue jack not all the way up with all the weight on the rear of the trailer hits the speed bump going too fast rips the worn coupler off the ball, snaps or bends the tongue jack off and the panicked driver tries to get it hitched back up usually while still on the ramp. I could write a 500 page book. Eventually, you will most likely wish you had a dual axle trailer when the unexpected happens, as they are much more forgiving/controllable even with just 3 wheels.

Rare is the person that has never forgotten to put down the stabilizer jacks or tongue jack or chocks before uncoupling then opening up the rear barn doors and stepping inside the trailer while carrying supplies to be loaded! Lol!!!

Camper, good choice on the single axle. That is what Bob Wells had (his was 6 x 10) and is what I would get.

bullfrog said:
Rare is the person that has never forgotten to put down the stabilizer jacks or tongue jack or chocks  before uncoupling then opening up the rear barn doors and stepping inside the trailer while carrying supplies to be loaded! Lol!!!

I have to say, that mounting a good sized generator and gas can, and a propane tank on the tongue of the single axle trailer really helps prevent that see-saw effect.

A properly balanced trailer, with stabilizers, working tongue jack, chocks and a knowledgeable person with a checklist on level hard packed surface shouldn’t have problems hitching and unhitching unless something malfunctions as in wears out or isn’t operated properly. Small fiberglass campers have used single axle trailers for years but there are lots of owner videos and reviews of incidents that would be much less likely to have occurred if it had been a dual axle trailer. Blowouts, failed axle bearings, damaged or worn out couplers or tongue jacks, a slightly unbalanced trailer, soft or uneven ground are all examples of situations that a dual axle trailer will have better odds of less problems than a single axle trailer. If you want to “stack the deck” in your favor getting a dual axle trailer is the best way in my opinion. Possibly the reason for my opinion is I have had these problems or watched people have these problems but I do admit there are a number of people, mainly airplane pilots for some reason, that have educated themselves, maintain their equipment well enough and have been fortunate enough to never have an accident or blown out a tire with a single axle trailer therefore saved money and I envy them but most of us ain’t them! Lol!!!