Van not up to par for rv parks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimkelb89

Reaction score
I'm in Austin and have contacted rv parks within a 30 mile radius. I didn't contact any with the word "resort" because they have standards that my van won't meet. But I'm still having trouble with this. They want the units to be 10 years or less old.

I know a place outside San Antonio that I can go to, get hookups and it's cheap. And since I've stayed there a few times working on the van, I know the owner pretty well and he would welcome me back. 

But the problem is I am about to enter a medical program that lasts 5 weeks.  I don't want to get into what it is but I'm wondering if I should stay at the local campgrounds (there are 2) where I've previously stayed for the duration of the program. I wouldn't have a problem getting around the time limits allowed because i'd end up stealth camping for part of the month. Much as I hate that part. Basically, I love camping but hate stealth parking. Unfortunately I am not in a position to travel more quite yet. 

I found 1 lot with an opening July 1 but he also has aesthetic preference. He asked me to send in some pictures of the van. I'm doing that later. Another potential said they may have one in a month that is being layed now. That's all I got after 20 calls/emails so far.

I''m not in a position to get a place and my last roommate situation ended with one guy repeatedly sexually harassing me and the other guy threatening to break my door down. I also don't want to get into it more than that but suffice it to say, I'm done with roommates.

I want to stay in Austin but my living arrangement options are limited. And I really mean it when I say I don't want roommates. Too stressful. I'm on SSD trying to work again but it's been tough.  

So do I go to the nearby campgrounds and rotate them and go to San Antonio once the program is done? I like the ranch outside San Antonio but I will miss human interaction. beautiful but somewhat isolated unless I drive into San Antonio, which may be an option.

I really need support and to make more friends. And I really like Austin but stealth camping in the city raises my anxiety, though I've done it because I had no choice.

My van doesn't have solar power yet so I will need a hook up until I get it in. If I had solar, I would have more options boondocking in the area but that isn't coming for a while. Anyway, sorry for my rambling. I was just hoping maybe you guys had some ideas that I haven't thought of.  I've been on Craigslist, Airbnb and googled rv lots and had limited success.

One option, try an add looking for short term parking, explain your situation, and that you would pay for water and electric hook ups. You might be able to find a place until you are in better health and the stability would benefit you. Perhaps a horse stable that's local. I have had pretty good luck with them. They have land and by the nature of the business they are more compassionate. Good luck and best wishes. Please keep in touch.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

That's a good idea. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.