Van Life is Abnormal ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Reaction score
95 % of the people I talk
to : Friends Family etc
think I m crazy to want
to live in an RV.

They say theives break in
to them all the time.

They say an apartment is
better for bringing home a
date.

Financially.  I think van life
better than apartment life
altho I v no personal proof.

I think U can save $ 125 /
month extra in a Van over
an apartment.

Justincredible has a bunch
of great reason on Van vs Apt.

Good morning Everyone
Silver

In math the norm is basically an average. Your estimation of 95% of the people you talk to is a wide majority.
In order to lower that average I think you might need to seek a different crowd.

This topic gets kicked around fairly regularly, though I'm not sure why. It usually gets met with a chorus of something like "what's 'normal'" or "who gets to define 'normal'", etc. etc. I tend to think the question gets asked those who, for whatever reasons, care what others think of them. Those reasons may have very real resonance for some, for example: if living in a van would effect being considered for a job. One has to sort that out for themselves.

Many of the vandwellers I know or know of are boondockers for the most part, seeking more remote locations by choice. It's completely normal for folks in the desert, mountain or forest boonies to live in campers. Obviously this is not the case in more urban or suburban locations. One has to understand the playing field and make adjustments accordingly. Also, I've known what could be considered some pretty sleazy rv/vandwellers  over the years who were social misfits, boozers, druggies or just plain lazy cretins that I personally would not care to be around either.

As far as dating goes, water will seek it's own level won't it? It goes back to the comment above about the crowd you seek to be with. I have a friend who is very wealthy, so much so that his 30 year old son has for the time being chosen to travel the country and live in a late model class A Provost with a Porsche 911 Carrera as a toad. It's fair to say, in most social settings, this kid will have more overnight guests than the guy with a van, a mattress and a 5 gallon bucket. At the same time, the diesel pusher or the Porsche isn't going to make it across the last, deep sand, desert wash or up the last mile of rocky, high-center forest road. Up there, on a drizzly morning, a van, mattress and bucket can make things just about right.

Experience is the best teacher. Try it for yourself and see how it goes. As far as saving $125 a month, you'll save way more than that.

The most important thing is to do what is right for you. Its your life... dont let others live it for you.

It's easy online to find an echo chamber like this where a majority share your views. Once you stray from the confines of like minded individuals, yes, vandwellers are still a minority, and like any minority, there will be differing views on our lifestyle choice by the majority. Some are jealous, some recoil in horror when I tell them of my current situation.

Weeds out the weak...

Reminds me of eating out with a dietary restriction like gluten-free or vegetarian -- there are some items on the menu which are right out, others which require some sounding before either writing off or confidently ordering. A former boss stated that there was nothing like a serious terminal illness to find out who your real friends are, and vandwelling has the potential to be the same kind of litmus test.

Don't believe everything "THEY" tell you:

tumblr_mkr6elEoMu1qiyurho1_r3_500.jpg

The first leap you need make is to decide that you're seeking your own happiness, and not someone else's approval. Others may or may not come around to your way of thinking. Most of my family never did, but my goal was for my happiness not theirs.

This life isn't for everybody, but you'll never know if you don't give it a try. When I started, my only safety net was my job, but I highly recommend a safety net if at all possible, so if things don't work out for you, you can easily transition back to your old lifestyle.

Maybe start out as a weekend warrior to get a feel for it, but if you're going to need to park in towns for work reasons like I did, then camp in those towns, and I don't mean a Walmart parking lot. Park on the street, just as you would be doing if you were living full time in your van.

Actually LIVE in your van on these excursions. Get your kitchen and bathroom needs figured out, make sure your bed will work long term, not just for a week or two. Get your power needs figured out, get EVERYTHING figured out before you make the leap, and make sure you're happy with your choices. This can help ensure long term success.

Maybe you'll decide you're more of a weekend warrior type of person, and that's fine too, you will still have improved your life.

Somebody once wrote "If your expectations are low enough, you will never be disappointed". Seek happiness Grasshopper!

If 95% of people do "X", and only 5% of people do "Y" or "Z", then by definition "X" is normal and "Y" and "Z" are abnormal.

Just don't assign values of good or bad to "X","Y", or "Z".

Being a billionaire is abnormal, but no one thinks it's a BAD thing!

Regards
John

Silver said:
95 % of the people I talk
to : Friends Family etc
think I m crazy to want
to live in an RV.   That's there opinion~!

They say theives break in
to them all the time.   Ask for proof, BTW thieves break into homes apartments and anything else of value!

They say an apartment is
better for bringing home a
date.                       Maybe, but I'm pretty sure if you met a girl that doesn't mind your life style she won't mind "partying in the Van" either. 

Financially.  I think van life
better than apartment life
altho I v no personal proof.  If I moved into my Van today I would immediately save $1000.00 a month! 

I think U can save $ 125 /
month extra in a Van over
an apartment.   Same as above

Justincredible has a bunch
of great reason on Van vs Apt.

Good morning Everyone
Silver

Mike R

Off Grid 24/7 said:
The first leap you need make is to decide that you're seeking your own happiness, and not someone else's approval.
I agree almost 100% with what OG says, except for this part.  Humans are social beings, and it's correct for us to want the approval of our fellows.  If everyone you know says you're wrong about something, you probably are.  There are a lot of advantages to having a permanent home.  Like, it can't be towed off sometime when you're gone.  For me, being alone, I'm on the road so much I can't be tending to a permanent home.  That being said, we had people in my trailer park who showed up for 2 or 3 weeks a year, and sometimes took several years off between visits.  One Canadian had a Corvett under a cover by his trailer, and he hadn't been down for several years.  But, it cost him about $3,000 / year lot rent for that trailer.  During the time I was contract programming, I'd sometimes rent a room with a shared kitchen and bathroom.  It was cheap.  And it could work for van dwelling.  If I had a van then, I could have slept in it, weather permitting, and cooked and showered in the house.  It helps to be able to downsize.  I've struggled with that all my life.  I have an art project I did when I was 10, it won a prize.  How can I throw it out?  I think you need to think rationally about your situation, and if a van fits in, go for it.

When I was in the military, I thought I would miss my racing car, big house & stereo system.  I learned that what I really wanted was good food , a few good quality clothes , some books & a quiet place to sleep.

I took taxis to museums & restaurant on leave.  I had my comrads.  

HoboTraveler says that "Paradise is a place where you don't have to worry about money"
Eg Africa, central America, Thailand etc.

I don't think I want a 30 yr mortage for a $ 650 k house.

Is $ 75 / month too much for a gym membership?
I think the low one is $ 40 / month but the high one gives me super sport access.  Both options is 24 / 7.
The $ 75 are closer to my work & home.  The $ 40 is in between ( on the way home from work )

I ' ve worked in gyms for 10 yrs so now it's a lil hard for me to fork over a monthly fee since I used to get access for free . .

I think Friday & Sat are good days for me to sleep in a vehicle since I don't hav work then :)
& there are lots of cute women @ the gyms some of whom
gave me their # !

My friend is Head of IT Dept & just closed on a $ 500 k home.
He says if he RV'd he would buy the most luxiourious RV.
& save until he could move into an apt or home.  

Silver said:
Is $ 75 / month too much for a gym membership?
It's been over 10 years since I've paid for a gym membership.  Today I signed up with 24 hour fitl The showers are totally private, it's a little rest room with a shower, sink and toilet.  I'll bet I can charge batteries while I shower and do my braids.  But I suppose they're probably all different.  They gave me a form to fill out, one question was "when was the last time I was satisfied with my fitness lever".  I put "1965".  Which is the truth.

Yeah, I'm normal.

HarmonicaBruce said:
Off Grid 24/7 Wrote:  The first leap you need make is to decide that you're seeking your own happiness, and not someone else's approval.

I agree almost 100% with what OG says, except for this part.  Humans are social beings, and it's correct for us to want the approval of our fellows.

I can agree that for some people, seeking their own happiness may need to include the approval of others. Each person's definition of happiness can be different.

The problem with getting approval from others is that it could mean that we have to live in misery to keep someone else happy.  Our happiness, along with whatever that might entail, should come first.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Our happiness, along with whatever that might entail, should come first.
"Whatever that might entail"?  Sorry Off Grid, I think you're off base.  I can think of all kinds of grisly examples of things that might make someone happy, but are so wrong on so many levels that I am reluctant to even mention them.  What about that Nicholas Cage movie "Frozen Ground", based on a true story about a guy in Alaska who liked to kidnap women, take them to a remote part of Alaska, and "hunt" them like an animal?  Had he sought the approval of others he would have had a hard time getting it.  What about John Wayne Gacy?  

Everyone I know is aware of my lifestyle, and most of them tell me they're jealous.  If everyone I knew told me I was wrong, I'd reconsider.  I don't think I know more than everyone else in the world.      

HarmonicaBruce said:
"Whatever that might entail"?  Sorry Off Grid, I think you're off base.  I can think of all kinds of grisly examples of things that might make someone happy, but are so wrong on so many levels that I am reluctant to even mention them.  What about that Nicholas Cage movie "Frozen Ground", based on a true story about a guy in Alaska who liked to kidnap women, take them to a remote part of Alaska, and "hunt" them like an animal?  Had he sought the approval of others he would have had a hard time getting it.  What about John Wayne Gacy?  

Everyone I know is aware of my lifestyle, and most of them tell me they're jealous.  If everyone I knew told me I was wrong, I'd reconsider.  I don't think I know more than everyone else in the world.      

I guess I just don't think that way, the thought of looney tune or illegal stuff never even crossed my mind.

I can be legit, legal, and happy, without anyone else's approval.

I have to agree with OG on this one. I wasted too many of what should have been the best years of my life trying to live someone else's idea of a life. I missed so many good opportunities. I don't always 'know better' than others but I never got the chance to live my way either. We MUST live our own lives, make our own mistakes and revel in our own victories.

LeeRevell said:
I have to agree with OG on this one.  I wasted too many of what should have been the best years of my life trying to live someone else's idea of a life.  I missed so many good opportunities.  I don't always 'know better' than others but I never took the chance to live my way either.  We MUST live our own lives, make our own mistakes and revel in our own victories.

(modified that a bit ^^^)....but YES, I fully agree!! (especially now that as I get older, I can't do all those fun things I 'should' have done back when I was young and a lot more able bodied!)

...and I'm not all that old yet either.

but my new view on life is based on Carpe' Diem!! (Seize the Day!!)

Do things today, as there may be no tomorrow to do 'em!! :D

I don't see it being abnormal at all. There are a million people living in various vehicles in the United States. For those who thought 'old age' was an over 55 mobile home park and their adventures were over it is perfect. It provides Freedom and Adventure also for those of us on Social Security (that was less than we thought). It is not a life for everyone, but for those who want true Freedom and Adventure it is perfect! "I LOVE MY LIFE!" I also enjoy meeting the people that live like I have been living for the last two and 1/2 years. They are open, honest, and connected with nature like we were meant to be. For me it is the most natural way to live. I cannot imagine life any other way! To quote a friend..."I have wheel estate".

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I guess I just don't think that way, the thought of looney tune or illegal stuff never even crossed my mind.

I can be legit, legal, and happy, without anyone else's approval.

I agree 100%   

In fact, if one looks (to closely) at the facts one will find that the worst & most immoral acts are done by very large groups, within the boundaries of "each other's approval" (read the word rationalization to make legal wholly immoral acts)

To normalize one's self to a ill and twisted people, is to become ill and twisted yourself. 

but who am i?