Van Dweller Parking Rentals?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherterr

Reaction score
Need opinions please, VanDwellers:

WOULD YOU pay $150-$200 per month to park/camp BOONDOCK with your van? (Over winter)

I know most RV parks frown on VanDwellers, pets, and year model RV's for that matter; AND charge a LOT. I think this is something needed, and just trying to see if it's viable.

I'm thinking of leasing an acre in a rural area, between Ausin & Houston, for around 10 or 15 Vans to Boondock. 1 mile from State Park w/Lake, nice trees at the back of the place I'm looking at, and tall chain link around the front with some paving/gravel. Fire building will be allowed, and even some wood to pick up. It's only 25 min. from 5th fastest growing city with lots of Everything, if you're into that! ;) Nearest WalMart 15 miles. OH.. there's also a great burger joint very close, and other eating places within 5 to 10 miles if one didn't want to 'go to town'.

Whadda Ya Think?? Any tips for 'rules' or ?? I'm sure I haven't thought this through enough yet.. lol

Have you checked the local codes? Long term camping without proper facilities and permits isn't permitted in a lot of places.

In many of those situations the neighbors are the ones who call the local authorities and put a stop to people living like that on the adjacent property. If the neighbors are not cool with your intended use you yourself will have to leave along with any one else you have invited in. Then you could have a whole lot of people upset with you.

But given enough acreage and no one living within a distance where they can hear you, see you, have the roads get overun and rutted out, etc you might be able to stay under the radar of the local authorities. Also you would have to caution everyone who stays there to keep a zipper on their lips about where they are living when they go out on errands in the local area.

that's kinda a lot of expensive to just park. Coyote Howls is like 500-600 hundred per year. the LTVA's are 180 for 6 months. BLM an Forest Service is free for dispersed. I think you can find full hook sites for around 200-300+electricity. highdesertranger

no....we personally wouldn't pay that.

thing is are ya offering any dump stations or ways for 'disposal' on site for black tanks, grey water situations, garbage etc. or are ya gonna hope they drive to the state park and use their offered facilities if there are any?

this is a biz. you best do it as a biz and not on the sly, on the sly is gonna cost ya when it gets discovered, and it will at some point down the line. (not saying you aren't acting on it in a biz fashion but zoning etc...know what you are getting into truly and the lease owner will need to know your intentions which might not get ya a lease then :)) cause the lease owners land could be more destroyed if it is not maintained in a scheduled fashion....it could become a nasty mud pit with trash kinda situation and a lease owner might not go in that direction...just saying.

actually MOST rv parks don't frown on rv year, a vandweller using its campsites cause they are just another rv'er and pets are always included in most cgs.

so....you aren't really offering a lot that can't be provided out there already.

would love to know a bit more from you on your ideas on how this would go down for you. I bet ya COULD get 10-15 people to pay that tho :) so how are ya thinking of proceeding on this venture?

I would hate to be the poor landowner next to this collective, who also lives on 1 acre abutted up against yours. I would smell constant fire smoke, listen to multiple people talking/laughing all hours of the night, have increased traffic, lose my own privacy, and feel violated in my own back yard.

Well, I can always find a Walmart or Cracker Barrel or whatever to park overnight.

I don't have any need or desire to pay for parking.

No. Absolutely not. An acre is not enough and your neighbors would pitch fits. How do you think you would cover your own expenses with only $2000 to $3000? (Assuming full occupancy and everybody actually pays?

People come up with this particular pie-in-the-sky all the time because they really don't want a nomadic life or van life right now. They just talked themselves into it. Next thing you would be talking about if you did pull this off would be building a little cabin. Nothing wrong with that. Life happens. People live, grow, change. 

Just be honest with yourself about what is really right for you at this time in your life. Are you a machine that is only stuck in one gear? You can slip in and out of RV life as your circumstances and goals change. We did. We were on the road for 5 years, then got bored with it and spent 20 years in an S&B and did more boating than camping, then decided to spend another 5 years on the road, now are spending 2 years static for medical stuff, then we'll be back on the road again next year for maybe another 5 years, then we'll probably get bored again and look for another S&B.

The most important thing in having choices is money. You need to have marketable skills that will allow you to make a good living wherever you go and to make whatever lifestyle choices you want, and you need to live within your means. No frivolous debt. If you have the skills and no debt, good for you. You are golden. If you have no skills, then get some. Pay off your debt and save your money. Do what you have to do, whether it is staying put in a boring job or moving to get a better job. People who encourage you not to do this are not your friends.

I probably wouldn't pay a monthly fee, but I might pay for a week. 

The main thing I'd be looking for is cleanliness and an on-site manager. Maybe temporary stuff storage. I'd be looking at it as a regroup-refresh-do-the-laundry kind of place, not a place to stay for long.

if I am going to pay to stay somewhere I want amenities and not just a place to park.

Thanks to all of you for responding. Guess if I decide to try this at some future date the place with definitely need 'amenities'!
THANKS!
Plus I really want to GO.. instead of having to stay here and 'babysit' something. :)

cherterr said:
Need opinions please, VanDwellers:

WOULD YOU pay $150-$200 per month to park/camp BOONDOCK with your van? (Over winter)

I know most RV parks frown on VanDwellers, pets, and year model RV's for that matter; AND charge a LOT. I think this is something needed, and just trying to see if it's viable.

I'm thinking of leasing an acre in a rural area, between Ausin & Houston, for around 10 or 15 Vans to Boondock. 1 mile from State Park w/Lake, nice trees at the back of the place I'm looking at, and tall chain link around the front with some paving/gravel. Fire building will be allowed, and even some wood to pick up. It's only 25 min. from 5th fastest growing city with lots of Everything, if you're into that! ;) Nearest WalMart 15 miles. OH.. there's also a great burger joint very close, and other eating places within 5 to 10 miles if one didn't want to 'go to town'.

Whadda Ya Think?? Any tips for 'rules' or ?? I'm sure I haven't thought this through enough yet.. lol

It would depend. I sure might pay that to a private landowner I knew well enough to know that we wouldn't wind up hating each other.

For the kind of thing you are envisioning? Probably not. 

It would make sense to me to hunker down in one spot for a while in my van, but not to do it with a bunch of strangers. I'm really not a herd type. When I need to leave a free site because of other people, that's one thing. If I need to leave a paid site, I expect a pro rata portion of my money back.