Van conversion just starting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandpacamper

Reaction score
I was told to post my progress with my newly acquired van. 

Jan 19 2017

Made the next 'Big Adventure' purchase, I bought me a cargo van. It's a 1995 Chevy 3/4 Ton, formally owned by a local electric service company. I have all the paper work, service records,,,etc. It was bought new. They wanted $1,200 I talked them down to $1,000. Nada guides list it in good condition at $2,300. The tires are somewhat suspect so that will be my first purchase before going on the road. The windshield has a horizontal crack that will cost in the neighborhood of $250, we'll see. It has a roof rack that I wanted left & some metal shelving in the back that will be removed when I equip the van into a personal dweller. It has high miles but if they are serviced you should get 4-500,000 miles out of them. I drove it home run really good, it was some getting used to after I have been driving our Mini around for 6 years. No engine leaks, no oil consumption, gets about 12-16 MPG on the open road, it will cost me a little to go on trips.​

I can use it to tow any size trailer I want if I decide to expand my camping experience but for now I should be able to outfit it quite nicely. I will need a step tool to get in the damn thing. It has 16x225 tires, 8 lug. Great heater, AM/FM radio but I can't hear any radio very plainly anyway. It has a bulk head for the cargo area. The driver seat needs a little duct tape. It needs a thorough cleaning job lots of grime. I drove it home with plates that expired in 2015 (Nov). The seller told me it had been in storage for 3 years, they needed room so he listed it on craigslist. He got a battery, installed it & it fired right up with all gauges showing normal. It has fairly good steering but the location of the brake pedal is different and will take getting used to. V-8 with a 350 Chev 5.7L engine. Sounds & drives nice for a 21 year van. Damn good heater!​

Measures 9'6" x 70”/w 8 extra inches between roll bars in the cargo area from bulkhead to back doors, plenty of room to put a bed, porta potty & storage area for my gear.

I've been designing the layout here's what I come up with.

I’m basically closing off access to the back doors, I have the sliding side door that works great. The passinger side is loose. I’m building a shelfing unit for the spare/jack/misc. It wil be just shy of the bottom of the rear windows, shelf of top for incidentials when camping/sleeping. Interesting thing I was looking into an awning for the slider side, most of the images & listings were from the UK & Australia. Evidently Americans are not buying customers for the van dwelling as much as the Europeans. Tarp attached to the roof rack with two anchored awning poles will work nicely.​

I look forward to keeping track of your project. I am just starting out too. Just got the van a couple of weeks ago and wanted to get a couple of things done on it before I start. Today I made my first Menards run for van building supplies!

--joe

Nice rig. I really like the roof rack and the bulkhead separator between the driver and the cargo. Gives you a lot of options.

I realized during my adult life that there was something different about me, as a flower child from the 60's I definitely marched to a different drummer. As I reached my retirement years it was pointed out by someone who should know that I may be Asperger, or Aspy. It's been classified under the Autism spectrum since the 90's. My thoughts were always off kilter with others. I wondered why I didn't feel the way I was expected to feel or react in most situations. I was skillful with math, computers & most straight forward thinking. Little emotion & saying or doing the inappropriate thing at the wrong time. I was never good at mind bending games, movies or plots, I was at my best doing things alone. Anyway I've embraced my condition, no cure for it only learning to cope with it. Of course at my age what else am I going to do.

That being said I come to the conclusion that as I approach & plan for my 'van built out' that I get to over thinking my designs. When retirement became a reality, my wife & I adopted a common goal, try to make our lives more simple. We downsized, DE-cluttered & minimized. We went from a 5 Bedroom, 2 bath, 2 family rooms, 2 kitchens, storage laden 3200 sq ft home to a dbl wide 2 bedroom, 1 & 1/2 bath 960 sq ft manufactured home with attached 8x10 storage shed. Rented space in a senior park along the Pacific flyway. Love our location, weather (more rain than most) but have mostly enjoyed it. She loves gardening I have no hobbies, minor mobility problems & easily bored. The novel approach to van dwelling appealed to me. It was simple, getting back to nature & the idea that I could enjoy the concept without too much physical effort.

I read on here, remember the site is called 'cheaprvliving.com' not what the many new reality shows about tiny home living have become. I was watching a documentary about the 'tiny home' roundup held each year in Colorado Springs, beautiful location, mountains, awesome scenery abounds but the subjects in the show had built their 'tiny home' with every possible amenity they could think of, it was too large for their tow vehicle to move & they had to borrow a smaller home to make the trek to the roundup. They toured the other homes, came away to new gadgets & ideas to incorporate in their home. The costs were in my estimation prohibitive, most were in the $60-125,000 range. Why would you need to spend that kind of money for a bed if you are trying to get back to nature or live 'off grid'. GET MORE STUFF BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE DID!!!

I have rules that I try to use as guidelines for my quest.

1. KEEP IT SIMPLE!
2. I don't need more stuff to make it work. My goal is to have no more than 70 items.
3. The more items I have to move when setting up camp my nature time will be wasted.
4. Keep my total costs down, I can afford it but why?
5. I want to use the outdoors as my living space, the van as someplace to lay my head.
6. I'm not a pet person, so no dogs or cats. You have to walk them.
7. My needs are minimal. 1 fry pan, 1 sauce pan & 1 pot to heat water.
8. Walking is my health regime & doesn't need a gym membership.
9. My diet is simple & being Asperger, I can cook & eat the same meal everyday.

I completed the cleanup & removal of all the things I can do without. Next is to install laminate flooring from bulkhead to tire/tool storage area. Less than 60 sq ft. Then construct the back storage area, bed frame & the front storage cabinet. After that will be to setup the van's essential ‘stuff’.

there is something different about everyone,there is no normal

I like your thinking, but I've been known to think a little differently than others also. I think many of us on here that are getting to, or have already gotten to retirement age are wondering why we spent so much of our lives collecting "stuff". We really don't need that awful much to be happy, and all of the rest just takes away our energy to enjoy what's around us.

masterplumber said:
I like your thinking, but I've been known to think a little differently than others also. I think many of us on here that are getting to, or have already gotten to retirement age are wondering why we spent so much of our lives collecting "stuff". We really don't need that awful much to be happy, and all of the rest just takes away our energy to enjoy what's around us.
I spent the last few days cleaning, trying to warm my fingers & licensing/insuring the van.   First thing I found I didn't want to replace is the industrial rubber mat in the cargo area.  They must have used mastic to even the ribs out, really a sticky mess that I have no desire to get into.  So no laminate flooring, besides I'm roughing it & it's not that bad.  I will only be using it for transportation & sleeping everything else will be done outside under the canopy.  Tires actually have fair tread & should be okay for awhile.  I will get it checked out, change hoses & belts, compression test but it doesn't appear to have any major problems.   I hope to have it ready for it's maiden voyage by May Day.

Hey Grandpacamper, sounds like you got a really great deal on a very good van.
Your philosophy of living out of it, and using it mostly for a place to lay your head sounds like you have the right attitude.
Welcome to here from there. :cool:

grandpacamper said:
I spent the last few days cleaning, trying to warm my fingers & licensing/insuring the van.   First thing I found I didn't want to replace is the industrial rubber mat in the cargo area.  They must have used mastic to even the ribs out, really a sticky mess that I have no desire to get into.  So no laminate flooring, besides I'm roughing it & it's not that bad.  I will only be using it for transportation & sleeping everything else will be done outside under the canopy.  Tires actually have fair tread & should be okay for awhile.  I will get it checked out, change hoses & belts, compression test but it doesn't appear to have any major problems.   I hope to have it ready for it's maiden voyage by May Day.

I like the layout.  If/when I ever decide to take the plung, I'll be having storage in the back area as well.  Seems to a more efficient use of space.  If I need to see out the back window, a backup camera is cheap.

sephiro499 said:
I like the layout.  If/when I ever decide to take the plung, I'll be having storage in the back area as well.  Seems to a more efficient use of space.  If I need to see out the back window, a backup camera is cheap.

I was thinking about the back window, then noticed that cabinet is shorter, only as tall as the spare which should put it near the bottom of the window. I really like that and it makes a nice shelf at the head of the bed also.

View attachment 11254
masterplumber said:
I was thinking about the back window, then noticed that cabinet is shorter, only as tall as the spare which should put it near the bottom of the window. I really like that and it makes a nice shelf at the head of the bed also.

Noticed that?  Good, I didn't want to go on & on about detail.  Yes, I thought I could also put shelves up each side of back doors.  Too much & not enough room, besides the curves of the van make it a wasted effort.

As I noted, my van conversion has taken on many scenarios & modifications. I was going to create this functional elaborate layout, in my haste to get on the road, waiting for the weather to break, it's design has now been muted a lot. No Murphy bed, no storage unit installed for my spare & jack (already have the area built in at the factory). I have now opted for a roll away cot 31"x75" it's storage need is 10"Dx40"H, bungy corded to the exterior wall. I went to Walmart bought 10 plastic crates, light easy for a clumsy senior to manhandle. I removed all the unnecessary additions the electrical company installed.

I went to Home Depot spent $60 for 'stuff' that I have no use for, but did decide to build something akin to a bookcase to hold 6 of the crates (48"x28") facing the back doors within easy reach, (the strike zone), additionally 1 crate will hold my propane tank, the other 3 who knows, probably my bedding & clothes. I have my propane stove & composite table for cooking, wash up & prep. Will need to purchase a generator (propane) for minor electrical use, a propane lantern, a medium sized cooler, all will be moved outside under my canopy when I light for the night. My lawn chair, generator & cooler will ride in the cargo area of the van, may have to device some kind of tie down for them, but for now I hope the industrial mat will prevent most movement. I will get 3 or 4 HD buckets for waste, personal & otherwise along with enough water jugs for a weekend.

I have to keep reminding myself that 90-95% of my activities will be outside, walking, showering in my privacy tent, cooking, eating, taking care of personal needs & sitting with my coffee cup by the fire pit. The van will be used to get all my gear there & sleep inside away from the bugs & other vermin, shotgun at ready unless traveling, then safely locked away, unloaded in it's hard case. If I end up 'stealth' boon-docking for the night I can store everything inside & still have room for the open bed to lay my head. I can store my canopy & poles in the roof rack's locked compartment. As for the lawn chair another idea would be to chain it down on the roof rack, remember the movie ‘Vacation’ with the Griswalds? I can put the chair on top like they did with their dead aunt.

grandpacamper said:
As I noted, my van conversion has taken on many scenarios & modifications.  I was going to create this functional elaborate layout, in my haste to get on the road, waiting for the weather to break, it's design has now been muted a lot.  No Murphy bed, no storage unit installed for my spare & jack (already have the area built in at the factory).  I have now opted for a roll away cot 31"x75" it's storage need is 10"Dx40"H, bungy corded to the exterior wall.  I went to Walmart bought 10 plastic crates, light easy for a clumsy senior to manhandle.  I removed all the unnecessary additions the electrical company installed. 

Life is a work in progress. Some things will work for you, and others wont. Trial and error is how you figure these things out. 
Keep us updated on your camper van. :)

Over the last few days, while not converting my van I have been buying a few items. I'm not sure if I mentioned this but I've decided to keep my van as simple as I can. I built a shelving unit that will be open to the back doors. I bought 10 cheap crates from Walmart, 6 of them fit the 3 open shelves & have room to place 3 on top when parked. I have also purchased 5-5 gal buckets with lids from Home Depot. One for my personal waste, two to wash/rinse clothes, 1 for waste, one as a spare/misc & one that I will paint black for a solar shower.

I also purchased a cooler, water jug to sit on my composite table outside with spigot. A bow saw for small limbs, wife suggested I'm more of a danger with a chain saw. I have ordered a Road Atlas, shower device that runs off either electricity, or cigarette lighter, 2 LED lanterns for indoor use, toilet lid that snaps on a 5 gal bucket, 2 propane lines for stove & generator for my propane tank tree. (all from Amazon) I had the stove, need to order the gen, a propane lantern, tank tree, 10 x 12 canvas for canopy & roll away bed. Other items such as clothing, bedding, water jugs, misc items will be purchased as I go along. I've got an appointment to get the van gone through mechanically. Add a few exterior items to complete the whole ensemble for 1st launch. Going to get my 20ga shotgun from Walmart. Then hopefully this will all be done before the 1st of April - the earliest I can get on my Idaho property, so my son & I can landscape our mountain top.

When I got my cargo van I camped in it on and off for six month taking short trips. It gave me time to decide what I wanted. I did build a temporary bed pretty early on and as the trips went by I started to get an idea of what was important and the things that I thought were important but were totally not needed.. or wanted. I had the luxury of time which is a precious commodity. I'm still slowly doing my build one section at a time and enjoying the build as well as the trips in between.

Progressing nicely, turned my shelving unit around facing inward. Built my bed frame behind the driver's side. Bought an innerspring Serta twin mattress this morning. Bought bedding, pillows, a few camping odds n ends. Got the black buckets & lids, only needed 3 but had to order 5. Built the bed frame high enough to store the buckets & 3 of the crates under. Stored all in the van. Coming along. I decided I need a few test runs to shed unnecessary items, I'm sure I have or haven't thought of everything or every possibility. Will post pics when I get the eye candy installed if I do.

Even the little things start adding up. This morning the wife & I went to our local Wally World. Sheets, comforter, pillows, blanket, flat sheet for skirting, kitchen curtains/rod to hide the shelving unit's crates, tension rod, black out curtain for bulkhead, pillow cases, still need 2 shower curtains tension rods for my privacy area, shotgun & shells, propane tank, tree & lantern. The shower pump, black buckets, led lantern, propane hoses all arrived within the last week. Every trip or order seems to cost anywhere from $75-100.

The innerspring Serta mattress was $140, which I drove the 10 mile round trip to haul it in the van.

Thursday I needed to pick up my grandson to help with bed frame. The van sailed along smoothly at speeds of 50-65 MPH. Good oil pressure, water temp stayed at 140, wipers/heater worked great. so other than replacing the belts, hoses & maybe the battery I think it's mechanically sound, I remember being told that mileage has really nothing to do with dependability if the unit has been well taken care of. The company I bought it from depends on mobile units to drive all over the state. Being that it was 1995 I was somewhat concerned with the high miles. The manager told me that they replace their vans on a scheduled rotation & mine was the last one they had in storage (3 years). I feel I may have a good one, but even if I have to replace the motor or tranny I'm still further ahead than if I had bought it from a used car lot or private party. Car lots buy their stock from auctions or trade ins & you can't be sure of the reliability. Private parties can tell you they have serviced it regularly but it's still a crap shoot, I have service records that go back to the day they bought it.

Decided that it needs a thorough cleaning so plan to empty all, take it to a car wash & flush out the cargo area, whenever the weather cooperates with a few days of sun shine to dry it out.