Van conversion just starting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might try some peal and stick flashing material from Home Depot for the road noise if you're not planning to insulate. Pretty cheap and does a good job of cutting down on the vibration noise from the large metal panels. And it's thin enough if you want to do something later you can just go right over top of it. It's usually in the roofing section. Works like Dynamat that the stereo installers use, but much much cheaper.

masterplumber said:
You might try some peal and stick flashing material from Home Depot for the road noise if you're not planning to insulate. Pretty cheap and does a good job of cutting down on the vibration noise from the large metal panels. And it's thin enough if you want to do something later you can just go right over top of it. It's usually in the roofing section. Works like Dynamat that the stereo installers use, but much much cheaper.

Thanks, will check it out.  Probably much easier than 'Liquid Nails' & pad.

when the french press gives out try a melita one cup, as far as sticking something to the walls get indst. grade velcro from ace hardware,,,not the stuff from HD, or LOWES, you get a 10 foot roll,,,don't remember the price ,,,but dang that stuff is sticky,,and the best part is when you want to make changesit will come right off with a little work,,,,i usually cut 1" pieces,,,so what you get goes a long way

masterplumber said:
You might try some peal and stick flashing material from Home Depot for the road noise if you're not planning to insulate. Pretty cheap and does a good job of cutting down on the vibration noise from the large metal panels. 
That's a handy tip, thanks. :) My biggest problem is remembering all these handy tips when I need them.

Dagnam'it, got the new tires mounted balanced today. After all the disposal charges & what not it was $480 saved $33 - no sales tax but the core charges took that. On the way to Oil Can Henry's lost my driver's side rear hub cap, grrrr!

I had a friend who worked a franchise lube shop he was asst-manager, said they shoot for a 33% up sell on every customer, they were trained by Wells Fargo. The boys did get me for an extra $20 before I realized what was going on.

The brake reservoir seal leaks fluid. Not much but enough that when I get it back in the shop for brake work, I'll have them replace it. After that, next in line will be a front end alignment, then the windshield, let's hope it'll be road worthy then. It did run smooth on my 20 mile test run around the valley. I'm getting more confident, but poorer.

Sounds like your van is about ready for the road. Too bad about the hub cap. Sounds like the tire shop didn't reinstall it correctly. If I remember correctly, you had to tap those dog dish caps on tightly with a rubber mallet.
Going to any repair shop usually equals a thinner wallet. :( 
But hey, you shouldn't need much more now. :)

Totaled up my spending since Jan '17 on the GRAND VENTURE, just under $6,000 which includes all the camping gear. I guess there's a couple of ways looking at this. It was expensive for the overhaul, but felt good driving away. New 60K tires, hopefully no blowouts, I'm on the downward slope now & have/will spend just about 1/2 of what I would've if I had continued on my frustration & went with truck/trailer/camping gear. Truck - $6,500, trailer - $3,500 & the camping gear - $2,000 = $12,000. Then would I need additional costs for tires, repairs, ins & lic, yep.

It's starting to look like you're goin' campin' !

Taking my first big venture this coming Monday. I plan to make the trip as near home as I can in case of mechanical problems. Not anticipating any but 'knock on wood', I hope there are none. The only problem I can see is the need for enough water, I plan to take about 20 gals with, I have 3 x 3.5 gal food approved buckets. 3 x 2 gal Igloo coolers, 1 x 5 gal Igloo cooler for a total of 21.5 gals. Almost all of my food will be packed dry. There are tables, pits, vault toilets, garbage pickup. NO WATER! Overnight fees are $10.​

The following is my food supply.

• Chicken Breast (4 x 6 oz & 2 x 12 oz) sm for morning, lg for evening meals.
  • Roast Beef (12 oz) for 2 evening meals.
  • Tuna (4) 1 each for noon meal.
  • Cottage cheese 1/4 C for noon. 1/2 C for evening, 1/2 C for late night.
  • Apple sauce, 4 x 3 oz sealed cups with my late night cottage cheese.
  • 1 lb Shredded cheese for morning meal.
  • 4 avocados 1/2 at noon, 1/2 in evening.
  • 4 cans of beans (black & pinto) 1 each day spread out between the 3 meals.
  • 4 med sweet potatoes, can be either boiled or fried. Bag of butter pads.
  • 1 doz eggs for the 4 breakfasts.
  • 3 cans chopped green chilies spread out between the 3 daily meals.
  • 1 lb coffee, I figure I need approx 4-5 gals of water for all coffee planned.
  • 1 quart of half n half for coffee.
  • That leaves about 15 for dishes & whatever.

Cottage cheese, cheese, eggs, half n half & insulin will need to be kept cool.
Paper plates & bowls will be used to save on dish washing. Only need it for sauce pan, coffee cup & utensils.

Whatever I do I can't forget the can opener!

The attached pictures are of the campground.

Attachments

• Camp1.jpg
    Camp1.jpg
    183 KB
  • Camp2.jpg
    Camp2.jpg
    183.8 KB
Hey grandpa, don't forget the can opener!!! LOL

Otherwise, hope it's a wonderfully peaceful trip!

Looks like you're all set. I can generally make 20 gallons of water last 10 days for 2 people and a dog. Bring a tube of clorox wipes - they're like baby wipes with bleach. I actually wash myself with them also, but I understand some don't like to put bleach on their bodies. But they are great for washing dishes, tables, counters, etc. The bleach evaporates so no need to rinse afterwards. Sometimes a pot may need a little extra scrubbing - those times I just add enough water straight to the pot and heat it on the stove. Add a little soap, scrub as needed, and a quick rinse with not much more water. I have a sink in my trailer and I rarely use it for anything except collecting dirty dishes. If you fill a sink or tub up every time you wash dishes or shave you will definitely go through a lot more water.

AbuelaLoca said:
Hey grandpa, don't forget the can opener!!! LOL

Otherwise, hope it's a wonderfully peaceful trip!
I went & bought 2 just in case.

masterplumber said:
Looks like you're all set. I can generally make 20 gallons of water last 10 days for 2 people and a dog. Bring a tube of clorox wipes - they're like baby wipes with bleach. I actually wash myself with them also, but I understand some don't like to put bleach on their bodies.

I have 2 cheap ($.97 ea) small dish pans, one for wash, one for rinse.   After I finish dump into the drain & my gray water bucket below.  As for the wipes, can't use them.  Since my chemo treatments in '12 I became sensitive to most soaps, ointments & cleaning chems.  I can only use Zest, Dawn & warm water soaked paper towels.  Sani-wipes I use for cleaning but must use rubber gloves or I break out bad.  I had been using flushable wipes until then but it got real painful until I figured it out. I will probably switch to baking powder & white vinegar instead of Dawn while camping.

grandpacamper said:
I have 2 cheap ($.97 ea) small dish pans, one for wash, one for rinse.   After I finish dump into the drain & my gray water bucket below.  As for the wipes, can't use them.  Since my chemo treatments in '12 I became sensitive to most soaps, ointments & cleaning chems.  I can only use Zest, Dawn & warm water soaked paper towels.  Sani-wipes I use for cleaning but must use rubber gloves or I break out bad.  I had been using flushable wipes until then but it got real painful until I figured it out.  I will probably switch to baking powder & white vinegar instead of Dawn while camping.

Ah, didn't realize about the sensitivity issues. Then yes, good old water and whatever soap you can tolerate would be best. And you will need a bit more water than what I use. Glad you got through that period of your life and can get back out into the woods. Nature truly is the best healer.

'Mellow Yellow' is a one ton rated van, cargo space is 6 x 10 approx. It has a roof rack as shown, on the passenger side is a 3 foot X 14 foot open space. My thoughts run to the added storage space I could utilize with a little modification. One of the posters (& I'm sorry the name escapes me now) posted on the thread about showers & the idea appealed to me. (Using a mortar tub to stand in while showering then dump it away from your showers stall.) Great idea & I bought one, now I'm thinking about getting 6 of the larger tubs (2' W X 3' L x 8" H) invert one on top of another & using C clamps & a rubber seal between the lips clamp them together. I would have room for 3 such setups, I would place them on a plywood platform bolted to the rack & bolt the bottom one to the platform. They are light enough to lift off easily.

It would give me an additional 120 gal of storage space (not water tight). I could use the rear one (near the back doors) to hold 20 gal of water for showers. They are black & would absorb the sun's ray to warm the water. I would have to use rubber washers for the shower tub but that's a minor issue. I would install a spigot to drain it when needed. The tubs are $12.98 each so 6 would be less than $78 plus the plywood, nuts, washers & bolts. They would be weather proof, secure enough for travel & easily reached with my little step stool. I'm also thinking that a wooden dowel cut to the length of the lips for added support & save of the wear & tear of the lips. Estimated cost is approaching $100+ but gives me more storage & usability.​

I plan to use the open storage area on the driver's side for transporting scrape wood to the camps, we have a cabinet/wood working shop near my home that has a 'free' wood bin in his parking lot that he encourages anyone to have. The mesh screened space in the middle is used for my 4 canopy poles, (2 x 2 x 76"). I did get me a lighter canopy & plan to attached it to the outside on passenger side roof rack, roll it up when not in use & bungy cord it to the frame for travel. I had 4 available Home Depot buckets that I cut a square hole in the lid to receive the poles & plan to partially fill them with rocks for stability holding my upright canopy poles along with guy wires & tent anchors. ​
[img=320x320]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HNNuy98OA-4/WRXf9jGYnTI/AAAAAAAABIQ/c8oHA2GeSfAHgb2mvwTiVAKCEPne2QyoACEw/s320/mixingtub.jpg[/img]

[img=320x230]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FnsGKXyL0Y8/WRXf2oqskgI/AAAAAAAABIM/qJGgo8WJ8HsXILNRSP08fwHTec_2Y6qeACLcB/s320/spartan.jpg[/img]

LOL that's not a mortar tub,  that's a panning tub,

R1-08309-003A.jpg

highdesertranger

Attachments

• R1-08309-003A.jpg
    R1-08309-003A.jpg
    682.3 KB