Van conversion just starting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your water temp stayed at 140 something is wrong. you said your heater worked fine so I am guess your gauge is not accurate. check it. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
if your water temp stayed at 140 something is wrong.  you said your heater worked fine so I am guess your gauge is not accurate.  check it.  highdesertranger

I don't think there is anything wrong, simply because the trip was short.  Not a real good test.  I mentioned it because the heater seemed to heat up quickly for an open van.  It did run smooth, no knocks or growls.  Brakes were very good, the only thing was the noise.  I'll give it a better workout within the next few weeks after I have someone replace the belts & hoses.

As I prepare for my first journey I have been up & down the river. I have added & eliminated items I at first thought of then realized that it's stuff I really don't need. I was never really going off grid exclusively. I embraced the idea but with age & a few physical limitations I have reduced my wants more than I could have imagined at first. I searched for the ideal vehicle from motor home, TT, cargo van, then finally settling on a simple self-converted cargo van. I knew that the idea of an elaborate setup was something I wanted to avoid. Money was not really the issue, I'm comfortable but realistic enough to know that I wasn't shooting for the life of a hermit or 'Mountain Man'.

I found what I consider the ideal transport, a cargo van bought from a local electric company. They run a fleet of them, keeping them road worthy, I have all the service records from the day they bought it. It seems to run quite well, high miles but mostly highway miles. It was dusty & dirty on the inside but they had added a new coat of paint to the outside to make the sale. It was listed at $1,200, I got it for $1,000. It had been in storage for 3 years, I had to pay 2 years taxes to change the title & license it. I added it to our auto policy just covering liability. It's a '95 Chevy G30 with a very basic 350. If I have to replace something I hope to keep it at a minimum.

I gutted it but left a few things they had added, I could see some use for those. I built a storage shelving for 9 cheap milk crates obtained from Walmart. I built a bed frame out of 2X's & 3/4" plywood, solid but not pretty. I did look around & research for a twin innerspring mattress. I bought all the bedding, then the needed items to set up a camp. Cooler, water cooler, propane stove (Xmas present), 3 black buckets for showering, HD buckets for waste (personal & camp), garbage & laundry 5 total with lids. I have a propane grill that will be used for my 'hobo' dinners, 2 composite 2' x 4' tables, one for showering & one for camp. I got all the curtains & rods to cover the shelving unit, bed skirt & blackout the bulkhead.

I was going to get curtains for the windows but decided to use Masonite cut for each window that will be attached with Velcro tape. I'm not insulating because I will be a fair weather camper at best, I will take warm clothing to layer as needed. I was lamenting yesterday that the propane generator had gone from $199 back to $249, then decided that I really don't need it anyway, I was only going to use it for my smart phone & laptop. I found a solar charger that will charge both my tablet & phone. I will add data to my wireless account. Since Nov 16 I have weaned myself from all the social sites except this, I can be reached via email in emergencies, texts or a simple call. With the proliferation of 'free' wifi around I figure I can still access the net in need. All my monthly bills (rent & utilities- 6) are paid automatically. I can use an app to check my CU balance for updates, errors or balance.

I will try to run a relatively dry camp, removing waste as needed. I have a very limited diet anyway so no gourmet meals, other than my morning mush, lunch stir fry & 'hobo' dinners in the evenings. I will have to heat water for my French press, only liquid I consume other than a little water to wash down my meds & apple cider vinegar. So far I've spent less than $1,800 with about $500 more if I decide to get the shotgun I mentioned. I have 5 items on my Amazon 'shopping list' totaling $150. The rest is paper products & food that need constant replenishing as I go along. I've found that there are plenty of stores within a few miles of where I plan to light for the night, week or month.

Space was the deciding factor, I've think I've created a workable solution, have enough headroom to sit up in the night. Movement within the van will be hindered because of the height, but I never planned to remain in the van except to sleep. I have devised a suitable canopy that should keep me dry & out of the elements for the most part, barring any tornadoes.

grandpacamper said:
I don't think there is anything wrong, simply because the trip was short.  Not a real good test.  I mentioned it because the heater seemed to heat up quickly for an open van.  It did run smooth, no knocks or growls.  Brakes were very good, the only thing was the noise.  I'll give it a better workout within the next few weeks after I have someone replace the belts & hoses.

+1 What highdesertranger said.  That engine should run hotter.  Running too cool is not as bad as running too hot but it can increase engine wear.  The thermostat may be stuck open or even have been removed.

VJG1977 said:
+1 What highdesertranger said.  That engine should run hotter.  Running too cool is not as bad as running too hot but it can increase engine wear.  The thermostat may be stuck open or even have been removed.

Agreed.  Or it could just be the temperature sender is malfunctioning.

The simplest way to check is to remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold and then start the engine and warm it up.  You can then use a thermometer in the radiator neck to check the actual coolant temperature.  It should hit at least 190 degrees.  (American, not that Commie metric system)  If the coolant is actually no hotter than 140 degrees, then the thermostat is missing or stuck open.  If it is hot but the dashboard gauge is way off, then it is either the gauge itself or the temperature sender.  Easier to change the temperature sender than the gauge - and much cheaper - so I'd change that first.  More likely to be the sender than the gauge, anyway.

Between the van price and what you've managed to spend, or really not spend in this case is pretty impressive. Sounds like you've laid out a solid plan and then implemented it. I'm sure after spending a few weeks in it you'll add and delete a few items as most do to tweak it to their liking after seeing what works for them and what doesn't.

Hope your maiden voyage is a success!

Just ordered my (hopefully) last shipment from Amazon to finish my van stocking & conversion.  Need to take it empty to the car wash on Friday to clean the interior.  Attached is once hopefully the final layout & the items coming.  The one with the red 'X' I already had in my storage shed, need it for my checklist.

Attachments

• spartan.jpg
    spartan.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 31
  • supplies.jpg
    supplies.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 10
Hosed out, assembled & a few curtains up.  Plan to build a drop down desk opposite the bed, add window shades on the back & sliding door.  But for the most part it is ready for the road.  Mechanic said after replacing hoses & belts that it appears to be in pretty good shape for the age & miles.  I read the water temp gauge wrong, it moves slightly up & down just below 180, he said that is ideal.  Sorry, I read it as 140.

Attachments

• 1spartan.jpg
    1spartan.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 2spartan.jpg
    2spartan.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 3spartan.jpg
    3spartan.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • 4spartan.jpg
    4spartan.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 5spartan.jpg
    5spartan.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 21
grandpacamper said:
  Mechanic said after replacing hoses & belts that it appears to be in pretty good shape for the age & miles.  

EXCELLENT!  A clean bill of health (after replacing belts and hoses) should inspire a bit of confidence.   :)

grandpacamper said:
Hosed out, assembled & a few curtains up.  Plan to build a drop down desk opposite the bed, add window shades on the back & sliding door.  But for the most part it is ready for the road.  Mechanic said after replacing hoses & belts that it appears to be in pretty good shape for the age & miles.  I read the water temp gauge wrong, it moves slightly up & down just below 180, he said that is ideal.  Sorry, I read it as 140.

Updates: 03/24/2017

1.  I relented & dealt with my aversion to credit cards, some of you made more sense than I want to admit.  I sent for & received a MasterCard with a $500 limit + rewards.  No fee have used it a couple times but set aside the money to pay it off when the bill comes.  Sorry for my arguments.  Will be used for gas & emergencies only.  
2.  I have the van ready, been thinking about the groceries.  Canned meat, (chicken breast, turkey, tuna & roast beef) are on the menu.  Only downside is the amounts of sodium.  I have my BP under control & to not exceed my 2,300 mg a day I have to monitor my intake.  It makes it easier to maintain a dry camp without the need for more than a cooler filled with ice for the basics.  
3.  Bought a gun today, opted for a .22/w scope, Big5 was having a sale.  Found bullets at Cabelas both normal & 'snake shot' salesman was curious about the SS, told him about my property & the rattlers.  They say it tastes like chicken!  
4.  Also while at Cabelas I discovered the perfect composite table for me.  They had one set up along the aisle.  It's a fish fillet table.  Perfect for my stove, then my wash/rinse tubs for the dishes &  a drain already built in.  It's also the perfect size to fit in my back doors 44 inch wide the other one I had is 48" & requires a little creative  moves to get in between the open doors, what I liked was the flex hose hooked to the sink & it's 37 inches high for someone 6'2" no bending. Yah!  See inserted pic.

Cabela's wanted $99.99 bought the same table on Amazon for just over $68 + free shipping.

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 12
grandpacamper said:
Updates: 03/24/2017

1.  I relented & dealt with my aversion to credit cards, some of you made more sense than I want to admit.  I sent for & received a MasterCard with a $500 limit + rewards.  No fee have used it a couple times but set aside the money to pay it off when the bill comes.  Sorry for my arguments.  Will be used for gas & emergencies only.  
Great job on the van,  one of the nicest simple set ups ive seen in awhile.  It's a great reminder to everyone on how easy it is to do a simple conversion and hit the road.  I know I'm guilty from time to time of over complicating things in my head.  As the important part is just getting out there.  Especially when I did all my van traveling I just had a mattress on the floor and a few trunks full of gear.  Loved every mile of it.  

If you're comfortable with paying bills online, you can pay off the credit card the same day you use it.  That's how I do mine.  I have a Cabelas mastercard and use it to get free money at cabelas.  Soon as I make a purchase I go online and pay it off, then I don't have to remember and can't spend the money on something  else.  

Either way, looks like you're ready to start enjoying some traveling.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Great job on the van,  one of the nicest simple set ups ive seen in awhile.  It's a great reminder to everyone on how easy it is to do a simple conversion and hit the road.  I know I'm guilty from time to time of over complicating things in my head.  As the important part is just getting out there.  Especially when I did all my van traveling I just had a mattress on the floor and a few trunks full of gear.  Loved every mile of it.  

When I first started, I was like everyone else. No idea what I wanted. I looked at a 6 x 10 cargo van, had head room & right sized for one. I thought, 'Perfect'! Then I started my want list & price list ended up some where in the $12-$15,000 range for trailer - truck - build out. The idea struck me, 'What if I don't like this vandwelling idea?' pretty expensive item to have sitting around unused. I decided to look at other options that will work for a while but be less costly. I have nothing attached to the walls of the van. Just an empty shell with all the components fitting the space but can be removed easily & put into a cargo van at a later date. I will then have to buy myself a suitable vehicle to tow it. No problem pulled TT's all over the west, still can't back them but that's a horse of a different color.

So far I've spent less than $2,000 for all. My clothing will be what I wear now. my food will be what I eat now. I probably can still get my $1,000 cost for the van back. Only thing I'll lose is the $192 for tags & taxes. Still have my bed/bedding, shelves/crates, coolers/stove, & all the other small items I purchased. Will still have my .22 maybe not all the shells, depends on how many snakes cross my path. Then will move up to a dependable vehicle pulling my cargo trailer to meetups & other places. It will have head room but not much besides the same space as my van's cargo area (6x10).

grandpacamper said:
I have nothing attached to the walls of the van. Just an empty shell with all the components fitting the space but can be removed easily & put into a cargo van at a later date.

I am watching your build with great interest because our vehicle will be dual purpose cargo/camper so all components added will need to be removed easily also. I am not finding many resources and examples with this design caveat in mind so am delighted to see your posts.

Nice build grandpacamper. Reading these post makes me want to get started on my van build but that will have to wait until I get one. I have been getting stuff along that I want. I been doing a lot of reading and looking at different builds. I pretty much know what I want just need the funds to start. Again great job on your build.

I've just about got everything ready, just finalizing the supply list. I found I have ample room, along with enough crate space for 2 or more campers. Yesterday got my canopy poles figured out. Amazon wanted anywhere from $12 on up for each pole, I need 4. At Home Depot I got all the parts with 2x2 pressure treated poles for $28 ($7 each). I was going to install 7 hooks along my roof rack, decided to get a grundle of wire tires from Harbor Freight an use them once without drilling any holes in the metal thereby weakening the rack. It may not be the prettiest canopy in the park but it will serve me quite well I hope. I had bought a hiker cooking kit, cute little thing but too dainty for me. I now have sm fry pan, 10" fry pan, steamer, whistling tea kettle, sm covered sauce pan in the van.

As for food, eggs-eggs-& more eggs for a breakfast omelet, including mushrooms, chili peppers, chicken breast, cheese & dried onions. All come in cans except the cheese, eggs & onions. I was going to crack the eggs into a container, but decided that I'd be exposing the delicate egg to the open air & all the contaminants lurking there, so they will remain in Mother Nature's natural protective shell. Cooled of course in my ice chest. I sat down figuring how much a 3 egg omelet will cost. A total of $2.25 each morning not counting coffee. That's better than any restaurant can match. My lunch & dinner will cost < $4 each, so unless I have missed something I should be able to sustain myself on < $11 a day, including coffee.

My 'metal' French Press should be here today along with my egg saver. I have the fillet table arriving Thurs-Fri & my new camp chair sometime next week. After I get the canopy poles assembled I'll attach it to the van & post pics. The 'guy' wires that will anchor the poles was going to be a commercial type rope cut to length. Years ago I went to our local farm/ranch store an bought a roll of baling twine, I think there was 1/4 of mile of twine for $7-8, can't remember but have used it for everything it's the duct tape of twine. It's orange so you should be able to miss tripping over it & it will complement my olive green tarp & yellow colored van quite nicely.

Total now spent - $2,385. I've blown more than that every year back when I was in my ill-advised gambling days.

grandpacamper said:
  After I get the canopy poles assembled I'll attach it to the van & post pics.  
Looking forward to seeing them. :)

Working on the van a few problems become apparent. Being somewhat physically limited (balance) I let my mind wander in the pursuit of a homemade workable canopy. I purchased a canvas tarp (10 x 12) made myself (4) 2 x 2 grommet poles. Bought 2 sets of guy wires for the eye bolts & 6 tent pegs, all good or so I thought. I was somehow able to man-handle the tarp up in my roof rack, even was able to tie the tarp to the frame. Still, good then accompanied by my wife I drove the van down to our RV storage area (more room there) & was going to stage the van & canopy. Problems followed, the tarp was too darn large for one person much less a handicapped senior, the guy wires were too short to reach from the pegs up 6 feet to the top of the poles. It was definitely a two man job under the best of circumstances, & since I'll be camping alone it was impossible to erect, even with no wind. Table that idea, opt for a 10 x 10 pop up canopy from Amazon. I should be able to handle that.

The table I ordered came, exactly what I wanted. It does have a drain system that sticks down 2 inches below the level of the folded up table. Daughter solved that, there is a square cutout in the rear van door that the drain fit perfectly in. I devised a bungy cord tie up system attached to the back of the crate shelves, on to the next problem.

The bed side commode is on it's way but will have to wait until I get it to equip the van with hooks to hang it up on the outside walls of the van in the same manner as I'm hanging the composite TV tray for my laptop. Then I have to get some rubber coated hooks to hang my rifle on the same outside wall, should all work. Tool box I own is too high to fit under the bed & since I'm no mechanic I decided that the one spare HD bucket will be an adequate tool receptacle & fit in the rear corner of the van for emergencies but out of the way. I will be removing the overhead light that was in the van when I bought it. That extra inch will be a blessing to the crown of my head when I forget it's there. I have purchased to battery operated LED lights for interior lighting.

I or should say my wife installed curtains for the sliding door & the 2 rear door windows, she used magnetic rods worked fantastic & will adhere to the van walls when not in use. They are not blackouts because in my plans, stealth camping is probably not on my schedule. If I decide later I think simple cardboard & duct tape will suffice, thanks Red Green.

Attachments

• canopy1.jpg
    canopy1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 8
  • comode1.jpg
    comode1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 6
  • comode2.jpg
    comode2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 7
  • sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 6
Here's where I stand on the conversion, the van is all equipped with the basics, bed, shelves, storage hooks & bungies. I have tried to think of all I could from my camping days with focus on simple, light & actually needed. I know I'll be shucking some, acquiring some but I think I can at least survive in the wilds for up to a week. I took the van over for a thorough going over with emphasis on the mechanics & dependability. The called Friday with the prognosis.

Overall it is in pretty good shape for the age. Recent brake install all pads look new. The tranny is tight, fluids clear & smooth. The hoses are good, most likely recent replacements, the clamps all appear new. The belts, on the other hand are cracked, will be replaced. There are no leaks anywhere, compression tested ok. No fluid leaks, all lights work. It will get a complete tuneup, new plugs, wires,,,etc. They found a little rust on the plugs which could translate to questionable quality of the wires so they recommended all replaced. Timing belts are spot on, I had to place my trust in them. They have great ratings locally, Have been in the business for 3 generations. And, the big, I'm no mechanic, breaking down in the wilds is something I want to avoid.

After Monday I'll be replacing all four of the tires, the spare is new. Then onto Oil Can Henry's for a complete service. I hope I can get the windshield replaced reasonably along with an install of the the receiver hitch. The only thing I haven't given a lot of thought about is the rear door gaskets, need replacement. I have an Igloo cooler from Walmart, I have been looking at Yeti's at Dick's they're not cheap. We'll see after my maiden voyage.

Over the last month I had been experimenting with my menu, I wanted to go as much dry as I could. Canned meats, veggies,,,etc. Things that can be stored dry, heated in a single pan. My health checkup on the 12th came through with flying colors, normal BP, (low, low) A1C, PC doctor was very happy even after all the sodium & preservatives in the cans. Eggs, according to posters here say you can store them for a week with no refrigeration. My daughter stores them in the plastic doz container & says to turn them over every couple days. Interesting, hadn't thought of that. I figure water will be the biggest hassle, but estimating how much I use will be noted & adjustments made.

Right now my plans are small trips (5 days, 4 nights) around Oregon, lots of 'free' camping locations, W Oregon is beautiful with many, many spots. The state is very permissive about the homeless situation & unless you are a problem they pretty well leave you alone. No perceptions of status symbols & luxury RV's are not required at most of the state parks. Privately owned RV camps are a little more selective but there are enough to go around. Will get me a small tent as a decoy for the nit pickers. Interesting sideline, since joining this forum I have become more aware of the boon dockers, most of the city parks fill up at night with blue tarps or tents, I now notice more questionable, possible stealth camping in the residential areas. I like to point them out to my wife as we run our errands.

Moving on, got the van back from the mechanic shop yesterday, expensive but got a good report. They recommended 3 things a radiator flush since it was rated for -5 they said it should be rated at -25. They also recommended a brake fluid replacement & bleed the lines. The last was to get it serviced, oil/filter, all other filters inc air & cabin. Thurs/Fri the new tires will be installed, needed to get them on the next shipment. Also Friday I'll be visiting Oil Can Henry's for the works. Sometime down the line I'll want a front end alignment, shocks replaced but those are on the back burner for now, paying everything in cash is quite a drain on the wallet. I'm also thinking about gluing up some carpet padding in the cargo area to cut down on the road noise. Hopefully the last round will be to install the receiver hitch, back door gaskets & possibly repaint the exterior.

Latest posts