Van + cargo trailer + solar panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelgianPup

Reaction score
Just wondering, right now.....

Is it feasible to put solar panels on top of a cargo trailer and use the power inside the van?  Can you connect the two, reasonably?

The best way to do that is to have the larger solar panels, the charge controller, the batteries, and an inverter on and in the cargo trailer, and then simply run a normal extension cord (shore power) to power your items (lights, fans, computers, TV etc) in the van. Depending on your needs you can have your fridge (assuming you have one) in the cargo trailer running off the batteries directly (12v) or have it in the van using its 120v input cord.

You can also have a smaller panel on the roof of the van and small charge controller in the van, hooked up to the starter battery to power or charge any incidental items such as a phone, hotspot, or tablet.

The only thing is to check your voltage drop by length and gauge of wire.

Higher voltage systems have less drop, but you won’t need to worry about that.

I want to know how to do it the other way. We just put a couple of 250 watt panels on the cargo trailer. We have around 1200 on the roof (I think). I’m still running the generator when I run the microwave or when the convection oven is on.
I’d like the batteries charged way faster and was wondering how I could run those on my cargo trailer into my current system.