Van Build Insurance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

methos54

Reaction score
So after 20 odd years with Geico they are dropping my coverage as of June 2018. I built my van from the ground up but because now that I'm retired and mobile, they are refusing to cover me because its not an auto (no static address ) or an RV ( no permanent toilet or shower ). So I'm asking the tribe on advice for coverage that will include the build and not just the vehicle.

Thank in advance

This makes me wonder what would have happened if I had an issue when we were living out of the van. We had full coverage on it. It was a conversion van, that we ripped everything out of and lived in. I wonder if it had been totaled if this would have been an issue. I basically just assumed that, if you built a cargo van to live in, that the van only itself would be covered, and that anything else inside was on you.

The following companies insure part-timers & full-timers. Perhaps questions can be answered and a policy can be written.
progressive .com, foremost.com, AISRVInsurance.com (Progressive affiliate), rvins.com, gomillerInsurance.com (Miller Insurance Agency)
Full-timers have an address for the IRS, and some mail forwarding services provide one, that becomes your legal domicile. Am I to assume that Geico isn't satisfied with this, if this is your circumstance?

If you are a US Vet, USAA is the best, cheapest, and won't drop you insurance there is!

:D

Separate issues that may need to be independently addressed.

The vehicle itself, and ensuring any mods to that don't give them an escape, for example putting in a high top, or other more mechanical changes.

Then build-out stuff, I would think on a DIY conversion very difficult to get full "agreed value" on everything as a package.

But as personal possessions that happen to be in transit in your van in case of an accident, you keep all receipts, likely can be covered as a rider on renter's or homeowners insurance.

You want IMO to work through a well-recommended broker with experience with dwellers, not just sign up with a random company unless people say they're great for your specific needs.

Fine print is a b1tch

John61CT said:
You want IMO to work through a well-recommended broker with experience with dwellers, not just sign up with a random company unless people say they're great for your specific needs.
Fine print is a b1tch
This is the reasoning behind the choices that I provided, which were pulled from my latest issue of the Escapees Magazine, as well as their website (Escapees RV Club). These could be starting points and one may be an ending point. Either way, the personal possessions clause that you brought up is very useful information and may help compare policies & premiums beyond RV insurance, which was Geico's issue. Like you said John, these need to be discussed with potential underwriters in order to get the proper and beneficial coverage.

You can remove Progressive from the list above. 

They will NOT insure a self-built camper-van/RV/motorhome, according to what I was told by a company rep and the website itself. I was told that having even an air mattress or folding cot inside makes a cargo van un-insurable! (idiots).

She did say that IF the van came with factory passenger seats in the back, as some do, then it's a passenger van and they are fine with that. 

I was told by State Farm (the agent called the home office while I was sitting there) that they WILL insure a self-built camper-van/RV/motorhome IF you let them look at it and make any changes they require, AND get it re-certified as a RV/motorhome by your state DMV. (or whoever does that in your home state). I was also told that during the build, from purchase to completion, they will insure a cargo van, boxvan, etc, as a commercial vehicle.

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/sport-leisure-vehicles/motorhomes

If you have an office nearby, it might be worth a visit to verify this information with a local agent.

I also called AIS and they declined to cover a self-built RV of any type unless it is a bus conversion, and only a passenger bus. However, school buses, shuttle buses, and transit buses need not apply.

Is it possible to pay for commercial insurance without registering with DMV as commercial?

I am told that here in my home State of Taxes...oops...I mean Texas, yes, you can get insurance, and register it as a commercial vehicle (under 10,000 pounds) for private use. It also depends on how it was originally registered and titled.

Other states have different rules so I don't have information about how other states would handle that.

breeze said:
If you are a US Vet, USAA is the best, cheapest, and won't drop you insurance there is!

:D

Yep. that is who I use. They gave me no problems when I went to all electronic and a PO Box address.

tx2sturgis said:
You can remove Progressive from the list above. .......................................................

Well I hope not !........Progressive insures my Transit van conversion....I went to an independent insurance agency in Florida and they placed me with Progressive........They KNOW I'm fulltiming..........I have full coverage on the van.....an agreed upon value to the conversion.....and enough protection IF I do something stoopid

When Pre-planning this adventure I tried cold-calling various insurance companies directly...........what a complete waste of time........"call center" agents trying to fit you into a particular product.

An AGENT knows the questions to ask and has the ability to talk to "underwriting" which decides the final Yes/No to coverage

An INDEPENDENT AGENT has a handful of companies to choose from and works with them on a daily basis.............

If anyone needs a recommendation in FLORIDA.................the  Blanchard Agency in Longwood and Daytona can write policies across Fl. .......I originally found them after a similar positive post on the Schoolie forums

doug

Maybe they've changed, but you're grandfathered in?

I'd read your fine print in any case.

abnorm said:
Progressive insures my Transit van conversion....

It's always possible that another agent in another state will write the policy. Is that Transit van insured as an RV or as a commercial or private vehicle?

I would advise calling the main office directly (maybe anonymously!) and asking if a self-built van conversion is insurable. I was told 'no' by my local Progressive Agent (who already has two of my vehicles insured) and this is confirmed on the website:

https://www.progressive.com/rv/camper-vans-classb-insurance/

Note this sentence on that page:

• "All features are installed by the RV manufacturer."

This is the information I have and relayed in my post above.

Thanks .......It's Christmas........I am calling my agent on Tuesday and checking the details and I'll report back..........

Florida has a "procedure" for an individual to register their own conversion as an RV..........the individual signs an affidavit that 110 volt (or) Plumbing (or) Gas has been installed (DMV TL-13 page 5).........no inspections required..........

I have not re-registered mine as an RV yet because I can't perfect my "identity" until I find my certified birth certificate (after 64 yrs) and spend a day getting a new Social Security card in Orlando to prove WHO I am.......In America !!!!

doug