Vagabound's Build-Out - 1993 Ford E350 Box Truck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vagabound said:
According to Native American legend, they have great reverence for animals.

Just one teeny tiny anal retentive adjustment; not all Indian Nations have sacred animals or used them for examples and qualities to live their lives.  Many did but just as many did not as animals were simply food to them.  History class didn't teach reality, broad brushed pretty much everything about us and depended on the Hollywood Indian and misleading text books to "educate".  Sorry, just had to slip that in for educational purposes.

Otherwise awesome job on repurposing!  If I can only muster half the energy to get into my build as you have I'll be getting places!

Headache said:
Just one teeny tiny anal retentive adjustment; not all Indian Nations have sacred animals or used them for examples and qualities to live their lives.  Many did but just as many did not as animals were simply food to them.  ...

Actually, I was talking about the ones who were hunting for food, not religious rituals and such. However, just for the sake of clarity, I am a kindred spirit only with those few who risked all in primitive unforgiving wilderness to stalk and hunt desks.

Tom

Well, I have reached a major milestone in my build-out.

I have finally gotten enough accomplished, and have enough basic functionality working, that I had the time and brain cells to think about buying salt and pepper shakers and filling them up. This may not sound like much, but it's actually symbolic of serious progress. And it's the first time in four months that I've had salt and pepper on anything that I've eaten. 

Bad for the body, but good for the soul.

Back to the "paint everything in sight" marathon.

Tom

Hi all,

It's been over two weeks since my last update, and even longer since my last substantive one. Even though I'm incredibly busy at the moment getting ready to head out for summer work, which includes finishing some storage related build-out tasks, sorting, organizing, and packing, I want to take a few minutes to share this piece of progress.

Some of you may remember somewhere back in this thread a drawing that I did of what I called a Lazy Susan closet. The idea was to reclaim and utilize otherwise wasted space in the shower stall. It dawned on me that in a truck my size, I could not afford to allow space the size of a old-style phone booth to remain empty and unused for over 23 hours a day.

The following photos will show you my solution and creation. So far, I'm probably happier about this feature of my build-out than anything else ... Even the shed, and that says a lot. ;-)

Tom

----------

Apparently normal-looking shower ...

IMG_20170430_131639-600x800.jpg

----------

A peek behind the curtain ... the contraption in "closet mode" ...

IMG_20170430_131319-600x800.jpg

(There are 4 bins involved -- the fourth is _inside_ the shower tub, and is the only bin that must be lifted and removed for showering)

----------

The storage bins move independently of each other ...

IMG_20170430_132006-600x800.jpg

----------

Bins out of the way in "shower mode" ...

IMG_20170430_131432-600x800.jpg

IMG_20170430_131448-600x800.jpg

==========

P.S. - No Indians were harmed during the creation of this post.

Attachments

• IMG_20170430_131639-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20170430_131639-600x800.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20170430_131319-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20170430_131319-600x800.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20170430_132006-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20170430_132006-600x800.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20170430_131432-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20170430_131432-600x800.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20170430_131448-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20170430_131448-600x800.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 13
pretty cool,dude

but a whole herd of buffalo devoured

:) I've been catching up on your build.  You've had some great ideas. 

My favorite is the repurposed desk.  I have a huge 4ft wide, 4ft tall, nearly 3ft deep entertainment center that looks like a twin to the wood and finish or your desk.  When I moved to AL 7yrs ago a friend was going to kick it to the curb.  It now sits in the corner of my kitchen with a $10 hutch top on it.  The top will be sold for sure however the rest may become part of the Safari build.  Good wood with a nice finish just waiting for it's next life.

Jewellann

Vagabound said:
I could not afford to allow space the size of a old-style phone booth to remain empty and unused for over 23 hours a day.

The following photos will show you my solution and creation. So far, I'm probably happier about this feature of my build-out than anything else ... Even the shed, and that says a lot. ;-)

Brilliant use of space. Shower curtain motifs show your interior design abilities too, lol.

That worked out very nicely. Two questions:

1) how did you get the pipe shelf fittings to form a shelf and not pivot/unscrew under weight?

2) I'm guessing the "hinge" piece is held in place by a set screw? what's the black stuff around hinge, and how easily do the turn?

Wow, that's pretty impressive. So functionally functional. I was just wondering how you were making out a few days ago, looks like you've been making out pretty good.

Thanks for the very kind words, everyone.  So much work, still more to go, but it is beginning to look like a functional space now.  Current task is taming the storage space under the bed with shelves for bins.  Then populating the shed pegboard, then loading and stuffing remaining things into any available crack for later organization.

Kathleen:  Interior design skill?  Not sure about that, but thanks.  They were the least offensive curtains that I could find at Dollar General in Quartzsite. Unfortunately, they didn't have two of the same style, so I had to find two that would not clash too badly.

BradKW:
That worked out very nicely. Two questions:

1) how did you get the pipe shelf fittings to form a shelf and not pivot/unscrew under weight?

2) I'm guessing the "hinge" piece is held in place by a set screw? what's the black stuff around hinge, and how easily do the turn?

1) I tightened them a lot with a pipe wrench and kept pulling until the fitting was lined up where I wanted.  At first, I didn't do that enough.  Then, I really torqued it and they are fine. Also, although it would likely hold whatever, I plan to avoid putting really heavy loads on those shelves.  Probably clothes or food, etc.

2)  By "hinge piece", if you mean the vertical stripper pole, I'm not sure what you mean by "held in place".  Also, what black stuff?  Where exactly?  There isn't any black stuff anywhere on purpose.  Maybe it is a place where I missed painting and the pipe is showing through.

The pole is a combination of a floor flange on the ceiling, an opposing floor flange that's actually on the floor this time, 3/4" black iron pipe with "T" fittings in between, all painted green with Rustoleum.  If on the other hand, you're asking about how I keep the shelves from swinging out when I drive, etc., I don't yet.  I took them on a test drive this morning, unrestrained.  Despite all three shelves being pretty tight on the vertical pole, two shelves swung out. The hinge effect is just the tee joints tightening or loosening by 180 degrees as I swing the shelves out or back in.  I'm planning to a bungee on the end of each shelf at the end farthest from the vertical pole.  

If I didn't answer your questions, please clarify.

Back to work now.  

Tom

I guess I assumed the pole was continuous and the "T" fittings were sleeves over the pole...the black I see is probably just the threads on each piece.

Perhaps getting it all torqued into place and lined up went easily, but I sorta chuckled when picturing that process... :D

If they loosen, just drill a little hole through fittings/pipe and stick a screw in it...something like that might also work for keeping them from swinging open, just a larger hole for a nail size cotter pin type thingy that pulls out to release.

Vagabound said:
Thanks for the very kind words, everyone. 

Kathleen:  Interior design skill?  Not sure about that, but thanks.  They were the least offensive curtains that I could find at Dollar General in Quartzsite. Unfortunately, they didn't have two of the same style, so I had to find two that would not clash too badly.

We've all been impressed by the immense amount of work, perseverance, and genius that went into your build, Tom. I'm an artist, so the purple dots and blue stripes of the shower curtains caught my eye. :rolleyes:

Best to you in your CO 8k high work experience!

Looks like you've got everything in place and are ready to head off. Nice work. Really using the old noggin.

Thanks for sharing all of your hard work. I'm sure many others will benefit from your experience.

Do you have a cooler or fridge? Propane cooking? How are you handing the kitchen area? Plumbing? Did I miss that part?

Mike

mikEXpat said:
Looks like you've got everything in place and are ready to head off. Nice work. Really using the old noggin.

Thanks for sharing all of your hard work. I'm sure many others will benefit from your experience.

Do you have a cooler or fridge? Propane cooking? How are you handing the kitchen area? Plumbing? Did I miss that part?

Mike

Sorry for the short reply, Mike, but I'm in a severe rush. Cooler. Propane. Kitchen area and plumbing were described in detail earlier. Thanks for asking.

More updates to come as I have time.

Tom

First build thread I've read all the way through here. Great stuff. I too will be putting a drop ceiling under the roll-up door of my step van. Nice to see it done by someone else. Thanks for all the extra effort to post up. Happy trails!

Latest posts