using velcro to mount window coverings in vehicles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
A while back I was watching one of Enigmatic Nomadics videos where he was installing new window curtains. He mentioned that velcro did not stay stuck well to the surface of the vehicles. My professional background has had me involved in finding and using quite a few types of adhesives and finding products for solutions to specific situations.

So here is the big issue with velcro in a vehicle....it is the heat. The standard versions of sticky back Velcro sold in hardware and fabric stores are not rated for the high temperatures that can happen inside a closed vehicle that is sitting in the sun. They do have some high temperature sticky backed Velcro but it has to be special ordered and is very expensive. There is some made for automotive use that will stick to plastics but the temperature rating is still not quite high enough and I have never seen it being sold in the auto parts stores. 

The black, Heavy Duty, VHB tape made by Gorilla Glue does have a high enough temperature rating. It is fairly easy to find that product in hardware stores.

You can purchase sew-on Velcro and stick the VHB tape to the backside but it will peel off as it does not stick well to the nylon the Velcro is made with. Nylon is actually a very difficult material to glue but a little research led me to a commonly available glue E6000 that does stick to nylon. The E6000 glue also has a high temperature rating. But of coarse when it is wet it does not stick well to VHB tape. So I figured out a work around.  Using the side edge of a popsicle stick spread out and work into the backside of the Velcro tape a very thin, smooth coating of the E6000 adhesive.  So thin that you can still feel the weave of the material. No glue lumps allowed!. Don't worry, it is not difficult to do other than making sure you don't get adhesive on the looped side of the Velcro. After it has dried for a day or two so it is fully cured you can then apply the VHB tape from Gorilla Glue to that coated side of the Velcro and it will stay stuck on it instead of peeling off.

Use that VHB tape, looped side of the Velcro to apply to the vehicle structure. Then use the hood side of Velcro to sew onto your window coverings. The looped side is less prone to having debris get captured in it which is why you put that loop surface type onto the vehicle rather than putting it on the fabric.

Just remember the Heavy Duty VHB tape is very aggressive and considered permanent. You don't need big pieces of it, it is rated for 2 inches of tape per pound of weight and your insulated windows covers don't weigh a lot. If you do need to remove VHB tape carefully slice through the foam center of the tape with a razor blade. Then carefully lift up the edge of the tape and grab onto it with needle nose pliers or hemostats and pull parallel to the surface slowly stretching it out. That will release the tape from the surface. Take your time, do not get impatient, don't try to rip it off quickly because slow and easy pulling parallel to the surface is what is required to cleanly remove VHB tape without causing any damage.

So a little experimentation, a little time, some money for shopping and the materials. I now have some high temp, sticky back Velcro to mate up with the sew on Velcro on my insulating window coverings as well as the window screen material.

surface and prep are critical to success with VHB. basically permanent

Have also seen great setups using strong magnets

some types are even flexible

should not directly touch the metal, covered even sewn inside

many magnet types are so strong you have to be careful they can break your fingers, no way to remove them if allowed to contact the steel directly without scraping off paint

those pulled from old hard drives are about right, used to buy cheap by the kilo in asian street markets

Please resist the urge to misdirect a thread about creating high temperature resistant Vecro materials into a thread about using magnets or other ideas for how you mounted windows coverings in your RV. This is not a thread about your RV and it is not about how you used magnets or what other people did.

It is an informational thread about how to modifiy with specific adhesives applied to sew-on Velcro so it will stay stuck inside of a vehicle where the temperatures can get much higher than what the standard sticky back Velcro sold in stores is rated for.

You all know that it is rude to hijack people's threads so enough said on that subject other than remember to ask yourself "am I hijacking someones thread?" before you enthusiastically launch into a description of how you do things. If the person is asking for help or suggestions that is then an appropriate time to insert how you do things. If they are presenting a technique don't divert away from that. If you have some suggestions directly related to the technique then contribute them.

Sorry, but I think the original topic's pretty much covered above, wasn't saying it's a bad idea.

Yes, VHB is crazy strong, more than most would consider possible, even more so than using say 3M's 5200.

Both of which makes it a permanent fixture, impossible to restore your vehicle's finish to original without sanding it back to bare metal and repainting.

Hence my suggestion of an alternative, which may not be perfect, or even better for most, but

does resolve that particular issue, for those that would consider it a problem.

John61CT said:
Sorry, but I think the original topic's pretty much covered above, wasn't saying it's a bad idea.

Yes, VHB is crazy strong, more than most would consider possible, even more so than using say 3M's 5200.

Both of which makes it a permanent fixture, impossible to restore your vehicle's finish to original without sanding it back to bare metal and repainting.

Hence my suggestion of an alternative, which may not be perfect, or even better for most, but

does resolve that particular issue, for those that would consider it a problem.
It is quite possible to remove VHB tape without causing harm to the finish. I have done so several times. You absolutely do need to follow the instructions that are provided by the 3M company for safe removal. They even have youtube videos with tips such as using dental floss to cut through the center foam section on VHB tape then using the slow peel removal method on the adhesive residue. Unfortunately very few people seem to take the time to look for and follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and for removal. Instead they just launch right into a job thinking they already know how to do it and then they do cause major damage.

I have worked in manufacturing for many years around many hundreds of different adhesives and caulks. I have had professional training on their use and also for the safe handling and disposal of chemicals. I still do paid consulting research work for a product designer when he needs to find suitable materials and adhesives for various projects. Sometime that does include choosing the right type of VHB tape for the application. There is high temp VHB tape bonded to velcro available but it is not affordable in small quantities. Reading on the 3M website for how that product is produced led me to understand that an adhesion promoting primer is used on the nylon before the VHB tape is applied to it. So therefore I decided to tackle the issue by finding a readily available adhesive that does bond to nylon and then try using it as a primer before applying the high temp VHB tape to the Velcro. I found that  E6000 adhesive worked and it too has the right high temperature rating to allow it work in partnership with the high temperature rated VHB tape.   I do have an educational background in science, including chemistry it is a useful education :)

thanks for the review maki. I agree 100% most people don't read the instructions, but what gets me is when they don't read them and then they give a bad review because they didn't follow the instructions. highdesertranger

Yes those plastic hook/loops would likely hold up long-term to daily separating longer than the fuzzy stuff.

I just don't like the way either look when the coverings are stowed, try to keep the interior looking stock. Hence my preference for the magnets approach.

I've also seen people cover Coroplast with cloth but cut so precisely it just sort of "snaps" inside the windows framing, self-supporting. Not for the windshield though, just side & rear ones. And would likely fall out if you tried to drive with them.

But maybe someone should start a different thread for non-VHB methods since OP wants to keep this one to just that topic?

Excellent information and very useful for many, Maki.
Thank you very much. Proper glue and application method make all the difference in high performance applications such as glass and temperature extremes. Thx for sharing!
You day bomb, or in this case, the glue stick.

I think same stuff as Extreme.

The Scotch branding is intended for more consumer oriented sales channels.

The spec sheets give load PSI rating if you want stronger or lighter duty.

I did what John is talking about. I took 1/8 inch plywood and cut it about 1/8 inch short all the way around my window opening. then I glued over sized reflexit to the plywood leaving about 2 inches all the way around the plywood. now I set it in place and push it pops right in place and stays there. if anyone wants to see it stop by my camp at RTR. highdesertranger

Weight said:
Have any tried 3M product, Scotch Fasteners, Extreme ? It is like velcro, but both sides are the same "loops". I used it for a window mounted Toll-Pass. Sticks to the glass even in the hot sun.  https://www.scotchbrand.com/3M/en_U...=4335+3294529207+3294603615+3294857497&rt=rud
That product should work nicely. It has a maximum temperature rating of almost 200 degrees which is pretty good.  It is also rated as UV resistant which is very important if you are going to be applying it outdoors or  indoors for applying onto a piece of glass or adjacent to a window.

However it will be more difficult to safely remove than the VHB tapes that have a foam layer in the middle.

The other thing to note is something that could be a benefit in some situations but a drawback in other situations. That is it will be more difficult to pull the two pieces apart from each other. That is certainly a benefit if you are doing a window heat control covering on the exterior of the rig. But if you want to make window coverings on the interior that are easy to take off and stow away it would not work as well as one of the more traditional fuzzy type of hook and loop Velcro.  A number of factors need to be considered when deciding what type of fastener will work best for an application.

John61CT said:
This just came up in my feed

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71449

OP maybe your expertise would help them too?

Perhaps I could help them, he will need a special primer for his application over the plastic interior paneling before the application of VHB tape to that surface. But I don't want to join the Sprinter Forum as I don't own a Sprinter. Not that I don't wish I had one but I don't.

What I have is a Honda Element and a  vintage fiberglass trailer that has a pop-up roof section. I bought it as a fixer trailer that needed an all new interior as well as some repairs to the fiberglass shell and new canvas for the pop-up. Luckily I have accumulated a lot of skills over a lot of years of making things. Photo below is me in the foreground in 1980 while working on a mock-up at Boeing, a new stretched version of a 737. We were also working on the mockup of the 757. It was my favorite job I had during all the years I spent at Boeing. They handed us a blue print and said...make this. We might be using aluminum, wood, plastics or fiberglass to fabricate the part. Never the same thing twice, then go and install the part you made on the full scale "model" airplane. A great foundation course for custom fabrication work :)
paint job w car small.jpg

Attachments

• paint job w car small.jpg
    paint job w car small.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 17
  • mechanic.jpg
    mechanic.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 19