Using isopropyl alcohol to clean the body?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find a little isopropyl does seems to help extend the time between need for showers. The 70-90% in a misting spray bottle works good especially for pits. Spray on, move pits around, and let air dry. I use unscented baby wipes sometimes, and they kinda work, but too soon after it seems like you hadn't washed. My preference if I'm doing a quick freshen up (pits/crotch/feet) is to spray unscented baby wipes with some isopropyl before use, and that seems to work best for me. The isopropyl also works real good for cleaning/sanitizing surfaces, and as a non-streak glass cleaner for everything from cell phones, computer, to eyeglasses. I even use it to clean smug marks from my shoes. It's just handy to have around.

B and C said:
Huh? You waste everclear on cleaning?

No, I use it very sparingly in my spray concoctions for body, fabric and air spray with distilled water and essential oils. I use it at home (S&B) almost daily. My last bottle lasted about 6 months. The essential oils and water do much of the skin cleaning. The alcohol is a stabilizer and helps with the cleansing as well.

I use peppermint, lavender, ylang-ylang and some others.

Best of all I'm not putting toxic chemicals on (and therefore IN) my body.

And I don't drink Everclear!!

I use Walmart baby wipes. They have some kind of natural cleanser in them. I keep one pack plain and one pack with about a half cup of 91% isopropyl alcohol added. I use the plain ones on my face, followed up with a dampened cloth, just to wipe the cleanser out of my eyes. I use the alcohol-added ones on my pits and between my toes. Then I use the same alcohol-added one, followed up by the plain one on my crotch. 

It is just enough alcohol to kill any bacteria while still having some cleanser and other things to keep the alcohol from drying my skin. 

I do this baby-wipe-bath twice a day, as I am changing clothes. It only takes a couple of minutes. 

I have a very, VERY oily face and very dry skin elsewhere. I was concerned that my face would get too oily, but it does not. This seems to be the best thing that ever happened to my skin. My face does not get nearly as oily as it used to, and the rest of my skin has stopped being so dry. 

I have gone months with only doing this and I don't stink or feel dirty at all.

The only problem was that dead skin cells would accumulate. So, I got a "dry brush" (a stiff brush meant to be used on your skin dry) to exfoliate my skin every week or so. 

Now that I have a camp host job next to a river, I wash in the river with Dr Bronner's soap once a week. I use my "scrubby-gloves" to exfoliate instead of the dry brush. 

I have to say, I don't think my skin has felt any healthier my entire life.

Love Care that's because you aren't constantly stripping the natural oils which makes your body produce more and over compensate.

We all bath and wash too much but it's all we know.

If your body is already over-compensating (naturally oily skin, or that same thing in just a few places , like usually around the nose and forehead, or head, neck or top of the shoulders generally), there is no worry that your body will pump out more to compensate for dryness. There is already something going on to keep that area(s) oily, and it is not going to stop because you started using alcohol rubs or any other kind of moisture-stripping soaps or treatment.

You might or might not be able to adjust how oily your skin is with diet or medications. But the problem is many people making recommendations for others are doing it on the basis of their own personal experience and extrapolating it universally to others, as if they were the same. Someone with dry skin, at least according to my experience over half a century of talking about this kind of thing with people, is unlikely to understand the problems with someone with dry skin, or even literally unable to conceptualize them. It really can be that bad when it comes to the ability of people to analogize back and forth between others and themselves. Many simply cannot do it.

Their advice is good for people like them. Others may find themselves offered harmful or ridiculous advice. Wish life were easier.

I use a tablespoon of dr bronners in a spray bottle with two cups of water. I use it to spray dishes and wipe and then have another spray bottle with water to rinse. I use it to wash myself I use it for everything I want to clean and it does a wonderful job and leaves a pleasant scent. And it’s gentle and biodegradable too.

Im reminded of frank reynolds on always sunny in philadelphia