Alternative body and hair hygiene

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29chico

Reaction score
I have gone thru a few threads and have not seen reference to these three options, described in the next paragraphs, that I have been using for a long time now.  I originally cleaned up after getting back to the vehicle from a mountain bike ride with baby wipes. But I went thru a lot of them and also did not clean super well.  They did however remove the trace of poison oak oil that I am often exposed to out on the trails.  I am probably a 7 on as scale of 10 for poison oak sensitivity.  Since that sensitivity gets worse with exposure over a lifetime I am vigilant to remove it early after exposure.

I primarily clean up these days with alcohol based hand sanitizer from a one quart pump bottle. I tend to alternate between the stuff with aloe vera or vitamin e.   I apply it to my skin and hair and wipe down with cheap thin cotton terry wash cloths.  Cleans very well, I don't need to use much on my hair as I keep my hair short.  Take care around the nether regions as stinging may result.  That is where I will still use a baby wipe or two.

The cost is surprisingly low as I can get at least 2.5 weeks out of a quart, cleaning up my body every day and hair after every mtb ride, about 3-4 times a week.  I buy the initial quart pump bottle at Target and then refill it with the half gallon bottle from Walmart for not much more than the quart price.  A bit of moisturizer for a follow-up is always nice. 

For a quick cleanup in the nether or pits regions, or anywhere else on the body for spot cleaning, I often use tea tree oil.  Cleans very well and does not sting.  Smells a bit odd but I have grown to like it.  Absolutly lethal to yeast. It is known to kill off toenail fungus, just takes a few weeks of use to do so..  A small amount on a single sheet of toilet paper for larger spot cleaning or a q-tip dipped in the bottle for small cleanups or small cuts and scrapes.  A 2oz bottle of good quality tea tree oil can be bought at Walmart on the vitamin rack for about $8, it is very expensive elsewhere. 

Tea tree oil is mainly known as a topical antibiotic.  I will apply some right after being wounded even before washing up.  I will apply more after washing up also.  Apply it not just to the wound, but to the area around the injury also, as it is transdermal and soaks thru the skin providing better antibiotic action.  I use tea tree oil often and sometimes get over a year out of a 2oz bottle so it is not expensive to use.

Last but not least is magnesium chloride oil.  Not an oil at all but a super concentrate of MgCl in water that feels oily.  I began using it to supplement my intake of Mg as most folks in the US are deficient.  Mg is one of the few supplements that can effectively be absorbed thru the skin.  MgCl is far more effective and longer lasting than epsom salts (Mg sulfate) when used in a soaking bath.  It is just too expensive to be practical for most folks to use it that way.  Using MgCl diluted  with water transdermally is very well absorbed as well as being quick and easy to apply.  It also kills yeast and other bacteria on the skin and I get a strong armpit funk killing side benefit to my health improvement regimen of applying a small amount of a 1 to 1 dilution of MgCl & water starting at the upper inner arm down thru the armpit and on down the side of my rib cage twice a day. 

MgCl oil should be diluted at a ratio of 1 part to 2 parts of water for beginning users.  Further dilution may be required for some folks to prevent stinging and irritation.  YMMV.   As the level of MgCl rises in a person's system the rate of transdermal uptake slows and one should be able to tolerate stronger concentration on their skin without issues after using it for a while.  

You may want to look into a solution of MgCl being used to disinfect wounds as well.

There is a whole range of other health and fitness benefits that MgCl used transdermally can provide.  But I would be straying too far of topic and will leave further research to the reader if desired.

Link below for a good deal from Amazon on MgCl oil.  It takes me over a year to go thru a half gallon.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Oil...634385&sr=8-7&keywords=magnesium+chloride+oil

Please be careful when adding anything like this to any other medications or supplements/herbs you may be taking. Check with your health care provider. Drugs listed as interacting with MgCl include acetaminophen, aspirin, some antibiotics, certain anesthesia drugs, other mineral supplements (calcium included here), antacids, the list is long.

Do your homework. Better safe than sorry.

I stopped using shampoo 5 years ago.  I used baking soda and vinegar rinse until two years ago.  Now I just rinse my hair whenever I shower.  And showers are infrequent - maybe every couple of weeks.  For routine cleaning between showers, I use hydrogen peroxide on a damp bamboo paper towel (they're washable about 100 times).  Hydrogen peroxide sanitizes and is not harsh like alcohol.  I also use 1/2 h2o2 and water or half white vinegar and water for cleaning dishes - and everything else!