Review Costaway Water Heater.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izifaddag

Reaction score
I wanted to have a shower in my converted enclosed cargo carrier but due to the way that it is laid out I nearly gave myself a stroke trying to figure out how I could do this.
In the end I managed to figure it out and I will show you what I did.
3 problems. How to hang a shower curtain, what to use as a pan and how to get hot water.
Now I know a lot of you hardy types will scoff at me wanting hot water but I am afraid that is how I roll. I do not like cold showers. 
The shower was created with 2 lengths of 1/2" diameter 4' long copper pipe and a tote serves as the pan. When done I tip it out the door. 
After a lot of research and multiple looks at my bank balance I decided to buy the Costaway table top propane water heater. The cost was $179.99 which included delivery and it arrived very promptly. I shopped it on eBay and the seller was toolsempire. 

This thing is great. If you have a little room or want to buy a shower tent this is just the thing. I shower regularly about once a week and the 1lb propane bottle is still delivering gas. I keep waiting for it to run out half way through washing my hair with soap in my eyes. Still going strong after about 4 months. 
The water is very hot so I have the temperature turned down quite low. Maybe that is why the gas is doing so well.  You can adjust the temp and flow rate although I never fool with the latter. 
Setup and breakdown is fast and simple. There are quick disconnects on the water in line and the shower line. 

The in line has a submersible pump on the end and I just chuck it into my 5 gallon bucket. I just bought a brand new clean 5 gall bucket and a gamma lid. It will live in my trailer.      

In the V section of my camper at the front I made a kitchen area with a strong counter top. I stand the heater there and have the shower hose and head permanently mounted. 
It uses 12 volts DC to power the pump and it comes with a cigarette lighter plug. I use my old Coleman cooler 110 to 12v power supply to power it up. 

I have a couple of criticisms but they can be corrected. The first is the pressure is not enough. It is ok but I wish it was just a bit more. Of course that is to do with the pump they are using and I might tinker with it in the future. Get a little Tooltime Tim action happening.  
There are 2 ways to stop the water flow while you are lathering up or applying shampoo. There is a slide on the showerhead and you can also pull the little inline plug at the water line in socket. 
Unfortunately that slide switch is really hard to operate and I can't manage it too well. The head is plastic and made in China so you can't expect too much. Quite possibly I just have a tight one and it isn't typical. I have tried to figure out how to disassemble the head and ease it but there is no way. The switch does turn the water off very effectively once it slides but I can't do it. 

The plug business is silly. That is a bad design flaw. All it needs is a simple switch and a socket on the side of the main unit. It is easy enough to separate the flying plug and socket but a switch is a no brainer. I don't like reaching out to pull the plug whilst showering. A simple fix though.  
I will be installing a switch and forgetting the showerhead slide. 
They give you a really nice carry bag for the unit. I break the unit down, bag it and store it in the tote I use as a pan.
Big picture I recommend this water heater.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-Wa...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpg20200126_162627.jpg20200206_175045.jpg20200206_181440.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200126_162627.jpg
    20200126_162627.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200206_175045.jpg
    20200206_175045.jpg