Using Bear Proof Trash Can as Food Locker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsallysmom

Reaction score
I spend quite a bit of time hanging out in the Sacramento Mountains of New Mexico in Lincoln National Forest.  Some of the campgrounds are free and have composting toilets and gangs of heavy bear proof cans.  I'm there during the week and most of the trash cans don't have trash in them because there are few visitors.

There are no food lockers anywhere.  I'm wondering if anyone uses a trash can as a food locker.

I don't think I would use a public trash can to store food. the yuk factor and all. highdesertranger

well that's a different story, but the way I read it is they planned on using the trash cans at the campground. highdesertranger

I read it that way too, but, other than yuck factor (one could be cleaned) I was curious. Seems like it could be an economical way in that situation to protect the food and the bears. Americans have to overcome many societal yuck factors for the lifestyle unless they manage to have a rig with all the comforts of home.

Here is a list of the bear-resistant food containers approved by the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game (Alaska's bears seem to be the acid-test for these things):
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=livingwithbears.bearcontainers
This site also shows aluminum boxes and panniers, steel barrels w/locking lids, and permanently mounted food and trash containers.

These Bear-Aware pannier-type chests look good, $215 to $275 each: http://www.bear-aware.com/index.php/our-products

One bear in the Adirondacks learned how to open the BearVault brand container, and seems to be teaching the others.

All of them that I've found so far are made from plastic. The bears can apparently smell the contents, but they can't get into them. They advise keeping the cannisters at least 50 feet away from where the people are. But the bears seem to be learning: some of them are finding the cannisters and don't bother them because they've learned that they can't get into them.

When I used to go 4wd camping, we would put the food in regular coolers, Then slide them under the vehicle and tie it in place. One guy got woke up because his bronco was going up and down. He said you could not even hear the bear that was under there.

If my van is a rocking.....there's a bear under there! Hehehe :D

Also...

Smarter than the average bear, ay Booboo. :D

Protecting the bears from becoming nuisance bears is important, though.

Yes on the Yeti, been allowed dry camping because I had a double locked Yeti. Garbage can even new ones must be in the bears go-to visual clue database, bears love garbage and it's all in the can.

The bear-resistant garbage cans I've seen cost about $300 and hold 32 gallons. Camping in a Prius?

It was about THAT particular situation. ;) Going beyond the yuck factor, if I were someplace like that and didn't have bearproof containers I'd give serious thought to cleaning out a can, since they are available, and putting a good bag in to line it and storing my food, but needs must....

If there are any trees, (usually are in bear country), you can hang your cooler from a tree limb at night.

Actually, rangers are saying that hanging the food isn't working as well as it used to because the bears have learned that they just have to chew the rope and the food drops to the ground.

TrainChaser said:
Actually, rangers are saying that hanging the food isn't working as well as it used to because the bears have learned that they just have to chew the rope and the food drops to the ground.

Interesting. I guess you have to keep the rope tie off point high enough.

black bears climb trees. in certain areas of the Sierras the bears have learned to open some types of bear proof containers. highdesertranger

When Man builds a better mousetrap, Mother Nature creates a smarter mouse.

Latest posts