Used vehicle prices??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ped

Reaction score
I've looking to get rid of my van (1990 E-150 clubwagon) and get an old cheap class C instead. So i've been hitting craigslist, ebay, rvtrader, etc. And I'm noticing that the prices everyone is asking is way above NADA values. Now my uncle owns a used car lot so I'm familiar with the game but it seems to be getting ridiculous especially with local RV dealers.<BR><BR>For instance one has a mid 80's 23' or 26'. They listed it as a 30' but when I looked it up the manufacturer never made anything over 26' that year in a class C but they cannot be bothered to actually go figure it out (it appears to be a 23' from the pics FYI). It has 115,000 miles on it too. When I inquired about the price they told me&nbsp;"we have determined that fair market value to be $6,000 but on internet special for $5,000."<BR><BR>They didn't list any features so I asked them about all that. here's the reply<BR><BR>
<BR><DIV $$hash="6432-0">The overall length of the motorhome is 30FT. &nbsp;Being that it is a 1985 model, it is hard for even me to find out what all specs and features that this motorhome is supposed to have. &nbsp;I know it has a newer refrigerator in it. &nbsp;It does have the regular features such as: 4K generator, A/C, furnace, refrigerator, microwave, oven, stovetop, etc. &nbsp;Being that this an AS-IS unit and the price is $4,995, <B><EM>we do not check to determine what works and what doesn't work on the motorhome.</EM></B> &nbsp;We could plug it in to electric and you would be able to go through the unit and find out for yourself before buying it. &nbsp;</DIV><DIV $$hash="6436-0">Let me know how you feel about this and how I may assist you in this.<BR><BR>&nbsp;
</DIV><DIV $$hash="6436-0">&nbsp;</DIV><DIV $$hash="6436-0">So I responded back that if they do not bother to even make sure the thing actually functions, Don't look for a&nbsp;manu tag or VIN check&nbsp;and it has over 100 grand on the odo how do they get a fair market value of 500% above NADA average retail? I understand marking the things high to be talked down and all that but this is taking it to a whole new extreme. And if they cannot be bothered to even look at the damn thing than I highly doubt they are going to treat any customer with respect. Everyone knows they don't pay anywhere near book retail price for the vehicle on trade-ins or dealer auctions&nbsp;either so their profit margin has to be at least 600-700% at their price. So $4-5K is not financially&nbsp;worthy of&nbsp;having a tech run over the thing for an hour or two? </DIV><DIV $$hash="6436-0">&nbsp;</DIV><DIV $$hash="6436-0">I essentially wrote them back with a "LOL shove it up your ass" message because even if they come down to a realistic value on the dinosaur, which lets be honest there is no way they will,&nbsp;I just don't want to do business with them.</DIV><DIV $$hash="6436-0">&nbsp;</DIV><DIV $$hash="6436-0">&nbsp;</DIV>

Is there a " Kelly blue book" http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/ equivalent for campers and motorbikes? And it does seem incredulous that they didn't even give it a quick once over. NYS has the " lemon law" , that anything sold by a dealer over $2000 is protected ( which just about killed the affordable used car market) but even $5-7000 cars here in Alabama are sold " as is, no warranty" at dealerships. While I'm not sure of it being 5 x fair market value, it does seem high.
Les

<P>Yeah the NADA guide (national auto dealers association)<BR><BR>The low NADA retail value is $1,020. But you have a RV that you will not be able to check out the water or LP systems on and has well above average miles (for RV of the same age). And who knows what else without looking... dry rot hoses, tires, etc. So low retail at the most on something like that. <BR><BR><A href="http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1985/Winnebago/M-WC424RC-23/Standard-Equipment" target=_blank target=_blank>http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1985/Winnebago/M-WC424RC-23/Standard-Equipment</A><BR><BR><BR>So yeah 5X above "fair market value" at the very least.<BR></P>And it's like this everywhere you look so apparently people are way over paying on them. Do most people just not do their research before they buy or what? Because we all know the dealers do. And paying book values in general is sort of considered over-paying in itself especially on used vehicles were condition leaves wide discrepancies.<BR><BR>"as-is" just means no warranty. That's how my uncles lot does it too. But that doesn't mean you don't, especially an RV dealer, give the systems a once over. Especially LP and water because the gas leak is dangerous and the water systems of that age are good candidates for cracked tanks and bad gaskets.<BR>

NADA prices are pretty much useless.&nbsp; Since they have few sale prices of any particular motorhome, they are mostly based on depriciation.&nbsp; For newer motorhomes, NADA is frequently over selling prices, and for older ones in good shape it is way too low.&nbsp; (They average in all the water-damaged ones that are worthless.)<br><br><br>

<P>I bet the dealers don't think that when someone has a trade-in.....</P>

Here's&nbsp;the reply I got back<br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;I am sorry you feel the way you do. &nbsp;I understand where you are coming from on this matter.&nbsp;I feel the same way and think that we just need to send the motorhome to the auction. &nbsp;My manager is not willing to part with the motorhome for less than $4,000 which is still ridiculous.&nbsp; We've had it for 7 months already.<BR><BR>
<br>