Use business address as primary residence?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuManchu

Reaction score
If I move into my van and no longer have a primary residential address in a house or apartment, can I make my commercial storefront business address my primary address  for purposes of driver license, credit cards, insurance, state and federal taxes, etc.?  Anyone doing this?

It's very likely mot places automatically run the address through a database and it shows as a business and will be rejected as a residence address.

Assuming you already have a mail forwarder drive around town and find a home for sale. That is your new address. First, all your mail is going to your mail forwarder any way so no mail should ever go to that address. If the new owners do get mail for you, they will have no idea if you ever lived there and will just give it back to the Post office. No big deal.

No government agency has the resources to routinely check to see if every person lives where they say they live. They'd have to actually knock on the door and visually verify it. Ain't gonna happen!!
Bob

Technically, we are homeless, or to use the new pc term, "undomiciled".  We've had debates here about whether or not we are REALLY homeless, most of us prefer to think that our vehicle is our home, but a I am talking now about the government's viewpoint.

The point is, the government is not allowed to discriminate against us just cause we are "homeless", deny us driver's licenses and vehicle registrations, etc.  There are organizations in many places that will help steer you through the system.  In some states, the ACLU is involved.

I used my store front address many years. Most old business areas, the store fronts have apartments up stairs, think Bob's Burgers. It would not work as well in an industrial park or mall type store. But you could form an official business name and put your stuff in that name.