USB hub recommendations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reducto

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a hub that works well using the vehicle's supply for power? My old one works great but is USB 2.0 and can't put out enough power to charge my phone at a reasonable rate.

I see plenty of 12v hubs on amazon but they're designed to be used with the included adapters and may not like being connected to a noisy supply with inconsistent voltage.

I'd rather have a hub than a simple charger. I need a hub anyway for my hard drive and sometimes want to transfer files to/from my phone.

How old is your phone? If it is taking longer to charge, or having difficulty charging, the battery may be bad. My SIII got that way, as well as the browser no longer being supported, so I couldn't download apps or even get onto the Ggogle Store.
Had to get a newer phone.
Another thing that helps is a MicroUSB cable that has larger wire size (lower resistance passes more power), and has no data line (which also helps power transmission). Got it on Amazon, has red end pieces. You'll need to search their site.

The phone charges super fast when connected to my laptop or via cig lighter charger using the same cable. I'm fairly confident the problem is the old hub which was really not designed for what I want to use it for.

I'd like to get a few more ports anyway. I keep getting new gadgets that need to be charged.

Reducto said:
The phone charges super fast when connected to my laptop or via cig lighter charger using the same cable. I'm fairly confident the problem is the old hub which was really not designed for what I want to use it for.

I'd like to get a few more ports anyway. I keep getting new gadgets that need to be charged.

Ah! Then never mind. I have several chargers for my phone, in the house plugged into my laptop, in the van, and one at my late Mom's place for when I stay there.
The new S7 charges much faster than the SIII did when new. Technology has really improved in four years.
Haven't checked into a 'hub' yet.

When you say "hub" are you talking about a 4 into 1 USB hub?

If so, are the other ports in use and therefore also drawing down the single USB power input?

I looked for 5A+ USB adapters and bought a cable for Kindle Fire, I found those provided the power needed for my Droid that was having charging issues with lesser chargers/cables.

In my case the Droid's microUSB port was breaking up and not providing a solid electrical connection. Stupid to have a several hundred dollar device felled by a flimsy microUSB port.

Here's my old one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H7AFO6/

It's a 4 port, powered USB hub. It's just not powered enough for my needs. It's USB 2.0 and was designed with keyboards and thumb drives and such in mind, not power hungry phones which did not yet exist when it was built.

There are a bunch of hubs on Amazon now that are powered via a 12v DC adapter that should work for me but only if they can handle the varying voltage and noise from the alternator, solar charger, etc. I was hoping someone else already tried this and had one they knew worked, but I guess not. Looks like I'll have to buy one and find out for myself.