Upgrading water tank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Planning to live in my 18" Layton throughout winter. I believe it has a 20 gallon tank on it. Whatever it is, it's way too small. I've been trying to see how long I can go on a tank without needing a refill and I'm not even making it a week. I stopped taking regular showers and started a sponge bath hybrid of sorts. But I'm wondering how much water everyone else uses on average, and tips on cutting down water usage. Thanks
8611888df2cc77d653faab786006485a.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The three tanks I have are fresh-35 G, grey-27G and black-12G. My black tank is my limiter and I can make it 2 weeks for single person use. I also carry a 7G portable blue tank and rarely need it.

Water conservation is the key. Never turn a faucet on all the way, only enough to accomplish the task (a slow dribble works for a lot of things, shower flow just enough to get a shower pattern out the nozzle) I take a shower 3 times a week using less than a gallon of water each time (navy shower) by heating the water in the H/W heater to a temp that I don't have to mix hot and cold to get a comfortable temp. I turn on the hot water in the shower and catch the initial cold water in my coffee pot for making coffee the next morning. Turn off water when at temp, get in and turn on water long enough to get hair wet (a couple of seconds), lather then rinse (another few seconds). Get washcloth wet (another couple of seconds) and wash thoroughly. Drop washrag on floor in water puddle and rinse a little in the puddle. Shave while still soapy. Rinse. Less than a gallon used. Baby wipes on off days twice a day.

Dishwashing - wipe all pots, pans, dishes and utensils with paper towels while still wet from whatever was cooked to get the most off you can. Cleaning as you cook works best for me. Some people use vinegar sprayed on items, I use alcohol (91-93%) for sanitization.

It becomes a game of sorts to see how little water you can waste/use.

Others will chime in.

The shorter your hair the less water you need to rinse it. Use an electric razor or stop shaving (just buzz it instead). Avoid meals that require boiling. Cut back on coffee. Don't flush if it's only pee.

MrNoodly said:
The shorter your hair the less water you need to rinse it. Use an electric razor or stop shaving (just buzz it instead). Avoid meals that require boiling. Cut back on coffee. Don't flush if it's only pee.
Hair definitely isn't an issue ( bald)

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Just very rough numbers for me, and these include washing my hair:

About 4 gallons when using the RV's shower, turning the nozzle on and off, 'navy shower' style, but still a quick, but nice, complete shower.

About 2 gallons (or slightly less) when using my outside privy tent and garden sprayer shower.

About 1 gallon if I'm VERY careful and conservative using a little spray bottle, a small bucket, and a bath sponge.

It helps to dilute your shampoo about 50/50 in a squeeze bottle, that way it will take less water to lather up and to rinse out after you have lathered up.

There are those who use 2 gallon Agricultural Spray tanks with a kitchen sink sprinkler hose attached.  It can be pumped up and the lever on the sprinkler head squeezed intermittently to wet yourself and lather up.  Then wash off with short blast of water.  Some call this a NAVY bath like sailors take at sea when water is conserved.

Like this:

DSCF7709.png

Does your trailer have an awning ?   And does it rain much where you are ?   If so could you find a used blue 55 gallon 
plastic barrel to diverted rain water from the awning into ?   You would have a small "rain barrel" cistern this way and it may be cheaper than buying a larger replacement tank.

MrNoodly said:

I like some of this a lot.  But pee stinks BAD!!! and coffee can be consumed cold.  People pay big money for it. I do it almost for free with instant coffee, which doesn't cost much no matter how much you drink.