Update on black bottles for hot water

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use to have a big black coffee pot that I would set on the edge of the wash basin and aim it at the sun. In a hour it was nice and warm for washing up, in two hours it was getting hot enough to mix with cooler water for dishes. Using your windshield reflector or even some tin foil may do the same.

I started to reply with some info on the SODIS questions raised here, but decided that the info seemed to fit better in another on-going thread about water disinfection.  If interested, you can take a look over there.

Vagabound

One can also place a clear plastic bag over the bottle that they are heating. It will help keep the wind from cooling the surface of the container. Also a curved sheet of reflectix around the back side of the container will bounce the sun's rays to help heat the backside, (kind of like a solar oven cooker). Regular solar heaters usually sit in an insulated container with glass or plastic on the front.