Upcoming Van-Dweller and Hardcore Prepper!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chancebond

Reaction score
Hi guys! My name is Chance Bond, and I'm Fifteen year olds. I've been a prepper since I was eight years old! I'm not only a prepper, but am also an upcoming van dweller. I am such a hardcore prepper, that I'm going to drop out of school when I turn sixteen! Then I'm going to van dwell for hopefully the rest of my life. Things are so bad with the world today that I will never live in a house! Pm me for further information on what my life plan is!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31 KB
Lol....Chance...turn off the media and finish school! The world is always going to turd doom! Serious! Pick a year and I guarantee ya that some thought it was the end days! Finish your schooling! Even a good high school edu is good! That and remember to have a good time! You're still a kid! Enjoy it! Adulthood gets quite a bit harsher. I know, I was a kid and am now an adult. Anyways, finish school! And don't forget to have some fun with life!

Edit: P.S- Nice to meet ya! :cool:

Well I do thank you for your opinion, but I am going to stick to my plan. I love education and your enthusiasm, but that is still going to be my plan. My main fear is a nuclear war, and if I'm in school when it happens, then I'm dead, if I'm out on the road, then I have a fighting chance! God bless you, and God bless the United States of America!

Welcome to the CRVL forum, Chance! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I hope you'll reconsider your education. I do realize that school is not for everyone but you're really limiting yourself by dropping out. If nothing else get your GED before you do anything else. It's so easy to do now. The curriculum is on-line.

Good luck!

I wish you the best Chance! I am a bit older, but who knows, if both our plans come to pass, maybe we'll meet somewhere down the line! Take care!

You might check in with a guy named Nick, who posted as a newcomer few months ago. He knew what he wanted in high school, like you. He is 21, is apprenticing and was getting his van ready. I hope he's reading these posts, but if not, try pm-ing nwprimo so you get a perspective from someone closer to your age.

Chance,

Like you, I am convinced that most public education is just about worthless these days. I also believe that the world is coming to an end soon. I believe what Guy McPherson says about global warming and how there are dozens of systems that are about to go into runaway mode within the next fifteen years. You can watch a really good video about that here: .

However, between now and then, you still need to find a way to stay alive. If you aren't going to grow your own food on your own land, then you will need to make money. Even if you plan to do odd jobs for people while on the road, using whatever skills you have now, there may come times when you would like to just get a part-time job or a workcamper job to make ends meet. That will be a heck of a lot easier if you at least get your GED.

From what I hear, getting a GED is pretty cake. If you have been a prepper since you were eight then you are probably smart enough to easily study for and pass the GED.

On the other hand, I haven't had a single employer (other than the Marine Corps) check to see if I really had my high-school diploma.

Still, passing the GED will help you to reassure yourself that you really do have the minimal education necessary to get by in this world. Let's say you suck at math, then that means it will be easy for people to rip you off because you won't be able to tell if their calculations are correct for how much they owe you. There are lots of other things that you will need math for while on the road: Converting torque values when doing auto repairs; Calculating how many amp-hours of battery you will need to buy if you want to be able to run your laptop all night; Calculating your average miles per gallon so you can know if you can afford the gas to get to your next destination. Having a basic understanding of physics and biology will help you to see through the BS that people try to feed you when they are trying to sell you crap you don't need.

At sixteen, you think you know all you need to know. Believe me, I thought the same thing. The things that are gonna bite you are all the things you don't know that you need to learn. So, even if you don't step a foot inside a school after sixteen, you should never stop learning.

P.S. If the thing you are most afraid of right now is nuclear war, AND if you think you can survive if you are anywhere near one, then that right there proves that you don't know squat about what is going on in this world and you need some more education. Maybe not "school learnin'" but at least start reading a hell of a lot of books.

Chance - even if you don't use school to go hunker down with a career or whatever, which I completely respect, keep two things in mind:

1. You will appreciate the things out there in the world a thousand times more deeply if you have a foundation of knowledge to go with it.  I'd never have known I wanted to visit Nebraska before reading Willa Cather.  Seaside towns of Massachusetts before Melville.  Indian reservations in Washington before Alexie. Why would an athiest like me give a damn about wanting to see the National Cathedral in D.C. before Art History classes?  Sure, you can be an autodidact and learn much of this yourself, but...

2.  Should you change your mind, and you may, it's a heck of a lot easier to start community college later in life than trying to clear up old unfinished high school stuff, too.  Why paint your future self into a corner?

Certainly you didn't come here for the same things that you're likely hearing from family and friends.  You're here for support and like-mindedness like the rest of us!  But... yeah... it's the truth.  Why not give your future self as many doors to walk through as there are roads to drive down?  Another two year investment is nothing in the grand scheme.

Good luck in any case!

some people learn by observation, some by reading, the rest have to piss on the electric fence.

flying kurbmaster said:
some people learn by observation, some by reading, the rest have to piss on the electric fence.

Oh that makes me laugh as while I was an elevator mechanic there was a lawsuit of a homeless dude that peed on the COP(car operating panel) and got a 110 volt shot up the wiener, LMAO,. if memory serves he lost! 

flying kurbmaster said:

It's kinda hard to observe history, nor can you piss on it (except metaphorically, of course).

GrantRobertson said:
It's kinda hard to observe history, nor can you piss on it (except metaphorically, of course).

As a former history major and wife of a professional historian, I'd say that the former is possible... and that the latter happens all the time. ;)

As a retired employee of the Florida Department of Education, I just want to remind you that lack of a high school diploma WILL hurt you, if you have any thought of getting a good career going down the road. Even a GED has little to offer here. You will be locked into low-grade minimum wage temp work. Stocking shelves at Wally's, slinging burgers, etc.
Serious employers look at your school graduation NOT for what you know, but for the fact that you stuck it out, and know how to apply yourself. They do NOT like GED, as that is seen professionally as 'the lazy way out', no matter how smart you are. Simple fact of the professional life. If you decide on joining the military (NOT for everyone, I know) they too will not take on someone without a HS Diploma.
At fifteen, you are enthusiastic, and think you have the world as your oyster. You will find all the 'good shells' tightly closed without that diploma.
One thing the GED is good for, is a stepping stone out of the rut of being unemployable. It allows you to attend Community College, which you can parlay into further education and eventually a good career. Going this route doesn't mean you give up the Van Life. You don't have to enter the grinding rat race of owning a fixed home you can't really afford, getting married and having your 2.5 kids, like the average American. You can still live in your van and have fun. Earn a scholarship, take part in other educational financial aid, you can go far. And still live your life on your terms. Choose the right line of work, the skies the limit, anywhere you care to go. Of course, burger flippers are needed everywhere too.......

There is a saying youth is wasted on the young but my 2 cents is finish your high school education.I left home at 14 and now I'm in my late 50's and can say it isn't all about the education but the friends you will make,proms and such not to mention the finale of graduation itself.I have had a "interesting "life but wish I had stuck it out I can't go back and experience what I missed out on and one day you will have regrets.I also know that a GED might be an option but it will never have the acceptance a diploma will.It speaks to not just book learning but to social experiences ,your ability to follow thru and complete tasks. My youngest child had a rude awakening when he got a GED instead of finishing his last semester of HS.His plan to join the military was halted when he found out a GED wasn't acceptable.If he decides to get 15 credits of college they will let him join then. Best of luck but stay in school ;it will pass much faster than you realize...

I read all your 28 posts (in one day), and I think I see where you're coming from.  You don't like school, you're a survivalist, you're probably influenced by the survivalists coeur d'alene is known for.  So here's my take:

Your teacher is an idiot, but you'll find you're forced to have to deal with idiots all through your life.  Sorry, that's how it is.  Does your mom know about your plan, and is she going to support you after you quit school at 16?  I know a guy who still lives with his mom, and he's 41.  He's a complete loser.

If you're going to grow up to be a loser, a good way to start is to drop out of school when you're 16.  If you're going to grow up to be successful, a good start is to graduate from high school on time.  GED's are not the same as a high school diploma.  This year I'm going to my 50th high school reunion.  

Here's a challenge for you.  Since you're only going to be in school another year, why not see how well you can do.  Study 2 hours a day, and try your best.  I dare you.  Just see how high your grades go.  

Do you know how to make money?  Have you earned the money you have, or is it from birthday presents and your allowance?  Getting through life is much easier and enjoyable when you have money, the more the better.  Knowing how to make money is just about the most important thing you need to know.  It's not something you put off for later.  

If nuclear war does come, at least you're in a good place for it.  I'm sure it will come eventually.  In fact I'm quite surprised it hasn't happened yet.  When it happens, everything will change.  You're on top of all that, and you're a young guy.  But, you want to enjoy life as much as possible before that happens.  

You'll never know how good you could have been if you don't try.  

Thank you harmonicaBruce, I love how you put it, and I thank you for that's! I totally agree with you! I actually don't know any other preppers here in cda besides myself. And in answer to your school question, I actually already Study for about that long every day! :) how I make my money, is through odd jobs, such as shoveling, mowing, raking, house sitting, and cleaning. But no, I don't make an allowance, my mom is to cheap for it, although I don't blame that on her, I blame it on her financial situation (about $12,000 a year)

How about school and learn a trade? Or feel out several trades. Always useful to know those skills. Since you have summers off, do some traveling during those three months. I've also read several posts here where college kids were van dwelling, so education and van dwelling aren't mutually exclusive.

Latest posts