Unhealthy living in a brand new van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
myke said:
I am thinking about buying a brand new minivan and converting it... But now I am worried about the off-gassing of all the chemicals, and then sleeping in it. Any thoughts? I don't really want to buy used; I take really good care of my stuff and usually keep my vehicles for 10+ years so that is why I want to go new...

Or am I worrying about nothing... as long as I leave the windows cracked...

If you're in an area where it's hot in summer, leave your vehicle sealed shut and go out for the day. Your vehicle should heat up enough to radically accelerate all out-gassing. When you return to your van, open all the windows and let it air for an hour or so. Rinse, repeat, for a week or so and you'll notice a real difference.

Always sleep with your window(s) opened a crack - even in winter. ALL vehicles emit fumes from gas, oil, and incomplete combustion, and that never stops.

Hope this helps,

Jesse.

Out-gassing is important to me too.
New houses are wrapped up so tight as to make me sick from the flumes coming off the carpeting linoleum drapes & even the counter-tops (less so the cabinets and whatnot.) All day, all night, all the time, out-gassing is occurring. All a person can do is move out. Opening all the windows & doors doesnt even cut it (particularly in winter) as the ability to "ventilate per sq-ft of space" is very poor.

BUT, to my mind: It is far better in autos, because out-gassing is a function of temperature. Just park that puppy in full direct sun with the windows cracked open a bit, and you'll get what would take a month in a house, in a single day in your vehicle. Then, also, you have the ease of ventilation: Driving at even just 5mph, all windows down, means MASSIVE ventilation. and;
During the cooler nights (while your sleeping inside it) far less out-gassing will be occurring, particlularly because you FORCED out-gassing to occur during times when you'll be at work or hanging in the city park.
Shrugs. But who am i?

Flailer is correct - new house will off-gas. Old van with new updated interior will off gas. New mattress or uncovered foam - terrible off gas. Clothes, electronics, whatever - everything you put in your new or old van will off gas.

Modern life is full of chemicals, unfortunately.

Its worth thinking about, but I don't think new vs old is going to be wildly different. Maybe an older van, then being extremely careful about what you put in it might be better, but you would probably have to work at it. If you don't have a particular problem your trying to avoid - maybe look for a new van that has been sitting around a little while (the door tag will have a build on date - look for one that is a few months old - then sleep with the windows open

My van is a 94' and it still out gasses! (But that's with me in it... Takes a few minutes to clear but then it's ok. Gotta' change up the diet.)

Latest posts