Understanding the American psyche. A bit lost trying to make a connection here on RVL

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaky roof

Reaction score
Morning all.

From the outset, my project brief was: - My platform – tug – vehicle is my bedroom and my transport, everything else happens outside.
By everything I mean: - Cooking & dishwashing / personal hygiene – showering or basin bathing / toileting / getting dressed / laundry ..... and so on.
All of that auxiliary stuff I refer to as peripherals....Necessary ... but aside from the main objective.

Given that I have very limited space all of those activities have to happen outside.

And all of them I’ve been doing for many years in one rig or another. It’s interesting that, barring my caravan phase, none of them have remained unchanged much over the years and I do have a lot of practice at what works, and what’s “glamping” and for the most part unnecessary.
The only difference is that this is the first time I’m living out of my SUV

I got a lot of extremely valuable pointers from RV, which ultimately let me dodge a ton of bullets, even re-doing, like must be able to sit upright on the bed... Never would have thought of that, but so blooming obvious, how could I have missed it!!!!

And it took weeks of planning to get that right, but I was resolute to not start before I’d resolved that.

And there were a lot more... a HUGE THANK YOU.

So I thought it’s nice that I can perhaps "pay-forward"and post all about the itps and so on I've learnt over some 40 years and the “right thing to do” is to focus my posts on all the peripherals first, and then how I put everything together, my “build” as it were.

But I seem to be not making a connection, (or am I just “off the mark” on this forum, or is it just me being stupid? <again>

Do you chaps actually want the peripherals? Or do you mostly want to know how I put it all together? Shall I first post about how I put it together then do the peripherals?

HELP please...

Not everyone on this forum is actually camping in a van every day, and looking for tips on how to shower/poop/dress/cook outdoors. Those of us who have some knowledge of one of these subjects may chime in now and then, but thorough discussion is hard to come by.

I will be camping in our 32' travel trailer in our back yard this next week with several other folks in their campers. We will fix most meals over the open fire, and do many other things outdoors, but have A/C, decent facilities, and full hookups.....("glamping").

At some point in the future, I may want to venture out on my own in either my pickup truck, with a camper shell, or my Excursion to do some boondocking, but now, I just read/follow this forum, and contribute when able.

I’m sure your expertise and experience will be appreciated by many. Go ahead and let er roll.

Post what you can and what your time allows for. It will be viewed. If the likes are what motivates you, then maybe spend the time doing something you enjoy. I guess I'm saying don't do it for accolades(you might be disappointed), do it because you enjoy doing it and just know that it may help just one person or it may help alot of people. That make sense?

I hope you do enjoy sharing information and what you've learned, but if you don't, I'll still like ya! It's tough putting yourself out there and then not getting any validation for your efforts.

also remember not everyone will respond right away
plus the 'views' are people reading and might be helping them and gaining info they need but they won't post.....so yea, you could be helping a lot of people and you will never know it, but it is all cause you want to post your tips/tricks/life experiences etc....not doing it for the pat on the back kinda thing :) many connections happen and you will never know how valuable your posted info was to someone. Many are super private here, read and learn but will not 'get connected' as you wish. Connection is not what they want but your great info is indeed accepted and knowledge passed on to others.

Leaky Roof, I like simple and cheap. I had a Chevy delivery van years ago. I used it as a quick metal tent and to carry my gear. I wouldn't go back to one. Too many driving compromises and even well used ones are expensive for what your get. RV's are mobile apartments with all the complexity and maintenance needs of a sea going yacht. They isolate people from the great outdoors by letting the owners enjoy only the pleasant portions of it. I like your approach and appreciate the value your knowledge.

Even if the number of posts is low here it should be a good thread. I'll be posting on it. I'd appreciate starting on the basics. Characteristics needed in a vehicle, packing and storing gear, and how you handle each outdoor activity. "Shall I first post about how I put it together then do the peripherals?" Yes, please.

Thanks fellas, much relieved. Yes, my prime intention is to "pay info / tips forward" That's the "connection" I'm hoping to make.
Anyhow it's weekend now I'll chat again on moaning-day (Monday)

Leaky roof, you were posting in a part of the forum that I haven't ventured in. Did a search and found all of your posts. I'll be reading them. A Land Rover! Never considered one but what a all around vehicle! Interested why and which model you own. A friend use his four door jeep as a camping vehicle. He's around 6' 4" and fits inside.

Hi Zepher....

Mines a 2002 Discovery II HSE ('aven't a cooking clue what the heck HSE stands for... COMPLICATED.... would be my first guess).... Blooming thing's got more buttons and switches in the seat than I had in my first landy, which had exactly three switches on the dash and I actually understood EXACTLY what they did.................... NOTHING.....

Yes it is nice and capable. Gives me the choice to go rough roading (as distint from gravel roading) which is nice.... Slowish, but at my age anything over 80Km's per hour is downright deadly anyhow...

Landrover.......... Love em Hate em... I like them I've had 4 over the years, my previous one was a SWB Defender. Bulletproof, but too short to do what I have in mind, So I did a "no cash" trade... Kinda swopped length for desirability ( the defender is morre desirable than the Discovery... Same engine / drivetrain ETC. Also I grizzle at the auto box, I'm a manual man....

So that's how Ilanded with my platform, Now it's converting, hopefully (if I live thast long... I always say I've stopped planning more than 24H in advance..... Probibly wasting my time) sometime I'll get to go trundling round, stealth / roadside / camping for the most part.

I would be interested in EVERYTHING you have to offer. I am in SUV and tent.
Regards,
Rose

Yes please. Many of us are here to hear the daily details and the to day so we can get a better sense of what it's really like out there full time. I'm working on setting up my pickup.

I dig and read all your stuff. And keep us posted about what Scruffy's up to!

Morning everyone.

The gremlins got in and I'm battling to post new threads so please be patient... It's being worked on, thanks for keeping me alive...

Just quickly though, Last 2 weekends have been wonderfully productive both at th fleamarket & at the rubbish dump, but lndy's in for major service, so I can't actually do anything.

Dump, new General purpose storage box, / much nicer than my current one, some lengths of 50x50mm pine that I'm going to need, A 4 ply sheet that I'm going to use to make a top for my tailgate table, (under the tablecloth it's just a piece of the top of a pallet)

Flea-market, got a plastic 3 draw unit for clothing storage (my passanger seat up-front is my wardrobe) the backpack I planned does not work that well as I have to pack everything out... 22 Sq M of that silver coated insulation (much more than I need but I only paid R100 wazzar R14 USD? and a couple of meters of shadenetting for my changeroom / shower room curtains...

So that's about it so far....

But I really wan to show my washing machine / scullary / Oh a whole mess of things....

Just cant post... only reply...

Something niggled at me and I went to the haberdashery where I bough the material to do My curtains, and the roll was almost finished EEK! so I bought what was left,

I like the cut of your online jib, Leaky. Repurposing things is a love of mine. There have been times when flea markets, thrift stores, what-not were where I made my sole income as a third party seller on Amazon before it got so popular, circa 2001. Put me in lower middle class income brackets doing things I really enjoyed.

Hope you get your posting gremlins sorted out.