Turtle Top Seal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TubaDoor

Reaction score
I tried to find this topic elsewhere and apologize if I missed it or if I've posted in the wrong section.

I recently acquired a 1984 Getaway conversion that's in outstanding condition and I would like to keep it that way. Is there a standardized method for redoing the main seal for the top that connects to the van body? I live in the Pacific Northwest so rain suppression is of the highest order.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

well does it leak? I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. to reseal it right you unbolt it, raise it up a little and install new butyl tape. highdesertranger

No and I'd prefer to be proactive mitigating water penetration.

That's definitively within my skill set, thanks!

Great question, I was considering adding some Flexseal tape where my top meets the body. It doesn't leak now, even through 2 hurricanes. I like to be pro-active also.

I used to do plumbing for a really picky old man made me pull his toilet to make sure the seal wasn't leaking destroying the perfectly good seal, I see he has bought a van! HA! If you want to make sure it seals and know you will never take it off again check out windshield ribbon sealant.

TubaDoor, my recommendation would be to get a 50' roll of Eternabond tape and go around the seam with it. It's amazing tape. If you apply it carefully, it doesn't look bad either. It'll cost about $1/ft but will last many years.

I would not recommend trying to remove the original seam and replacing it -- it's one of those things where the only people who should do it already know how to do it and aren't going to ask how (no offense to you!)

TubaDoor said:
I tried to find this topic elsewhere and apologize if I missed it or if I've posted in the wrong section.

I recently acquired a 1984 Getaway conversion that's in outstanding condition and I would like to keep it that way. Is there a standardized method for redoing the main seal for the top that connects to the van body? I live in the Pacific Northwest so rain suppression is of the highest order.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

There is a way to do it but, particularly for a commercially made conversion, it would be extremely difficult.

It involves removing as much of the interior is necessary to disconnect the interior of the lower main body of the van from the interior of the high top. In the case of a commercially made van it might involve removing most if not all if the compete interiorby the time you get it back to where the 2 sections are separate.

THEN and only then can the top be lifted off the van roof, the old butyl tape removed and both the high top and the van roof be completely cleaned of old butyl (hours of clean up btw). Then new tape can be applied and the fiberglass top reinstalled and the interior reassembled.

I should have done my cargo van when I had it completely empty and didn't. I will be applying a secondary sealant such as what Bud Smiley recommended since even taking apart the interior that I know how it went together is more work than I ever want to contemplate.

I apologize for the tardy response: Inreceived no notification that this thread had multiple responses.

Local places are quoting (8) hours for the job and the top is indeed seperate from the van body internally.

Appreciate the insight and suggestions...an exterior application covering everything sounds very enticing...very...enticing...?

As for, "if you have to ask you don't have the skills," I'll be blunt and call bs on that: There's a tremendous amount of knowledge here and asking for standard protocols pertaining to an endeavour of this magnitude seems like a savvy call to me. I actually have a tremendous amount of equipment in my work truck as well as rigging equipment and ask to a forklift if it were even required. No offense intended...I wanted to possibly dissuade others from being hesitant to ask questions.