Chevy Gladiator Hightop to Chevy Express

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evandude

Reaction score
Hello fellow van dwellers,

I'm new to the forum so I apologize in advance if this is not the correct topic to post in. Please move if need be.

I have a question regarding my conversion project. I currently own a 2008 Chevy Express and am just in the beginning stages of converting it into a home. I've been back and fourth on whether or not to get a high top installed and am aware of the companies like Fiberine who will sell the mold and do the installation. However, I am not looking to spend that kind of money for a high top. In recent months I have learned from various odd jobs how to comfortably cut off a roof and install a hightop myself. My mentors have recommended the cheapest way to go is by finding a van with a pre-existing high top, cutting that off, and putting in onto my van. To much of my luck a few days ago while I was exploring a scrapyard I had came across a chevy gladiator conversion van that has a high top roof on it in pristine condition. Just needs to be repainted. I am unsure of the year though by its look it seems to be newer and more closer towards the year when they discontinued the gladiator. My question is whether or not the high top roof would have close fit with my chevy express? Does anyone have any experience with this? I was unable to measure the roof dimensions of the gladiator but my chevy express measures about a 60 inch width and a 148 length.

I appreciate any advice, stories, or help you guys have to offer me.

Happy Travels!

The Gladiator name is just the name that a conversion company attached to their model of conversion vans. It appears though from my googling that all of them were built on the G20 Chev platform.

BUT, the G20 came in 2 wheel bases so without knowing which wheel base that one is, it's impossible to tell how long the van body is.

From what I can see online and remember from all the vans I've seen over the past 40 years, the top would be a little narrow and short for on the newer generation (Express/Savana) vans.

You could make it work if you had to, better to be a bit smaller than oversize.

The other problem I would foresee is that none of the Gladiator series ever had the true high top on them, they were all made with the 'TV top'- which will NOT give you standing height. The TV top was produced and installed to simply allow greater head room for the rear seat passengers in the conversion vans.

IIWM, I'd keep on looking for a 24" high top that will give you good standing height - mine is about 6'2" with both floor and ceiling finishes installed.

I think what you will find in trying to get a top off another van that the top will most likely be glued on with an epoxy type glue that will be difficult if not impossible to clean up enough to reuse easily. I bought a 96 Ford E350 and it was screwed on and glued and there is no way I would have even attempted to remove it for reuse. Keep in mind I spent over 25 years rebuilding wrecked cars and pickups.  Just my 2cents worth.

Most installations of fiberglass tops over the past 40 odd years have not been glued down. Standard installation is butyl tape to provide a waterproof seal and then screws from the top in to the van roof. The screws are then covered by a trim strip.

If you do decide to go ahead with the used roof, 4 fairly strong people and 4 ladders/scaffolding will be needed to move the roof over. Easiest way is to have both vehicles side by side. Loosen the roof from the donor van, raise it up on 2x4 or better. Clean the butyl tape up really well on the fiberglass. Cut the hole in the newer van, leaving at least the 1st rib from the front intact. I recommend also leaving the last (rear) rib intact as well. The ribs provide structural integrity and in the case of the front rib, a roll cage over the drivers compartment. When ready, slide the roof over, install new butyl tape, lower carefully in to place and screw down.

Do not attempt to reuse butyl tape, the screws or the trim strip. All are available on the market today.

If you can't have the 2 vehicles side by side, then a lot more muscle is going to be needed.

And yes, I've seen the job done before!!

yeah we never glued the tops on. like Almost There said butyl tape and screws. now I am not saying someone didn't glue one down but even then it's not impossible, a windshield removal tool would make quick work of the adhesive. highdesertranger

Greatly appreciate all the advice being shared here. I'm keeping my options open for different size high tops but still am stoked at practicing the installation process myself. I've seen quite a few vans with the permathane adhesive and screws used to hold the top down. ^^ That tool would excellent for removing any adhesive of permathane degree