Turn my truck into a solar system

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyRat

Reaction score
Hello folks,
My first post here but I've been watching Bob's youtube videos for quite a while.  I am planning on hitting the road when I get my house sold, hopefully in the spring.  There is such a wide array of options I find it hard to zero in on something.  As of this week (likely to change, lol) I am thinking a regular size truck for TV,  Toyota guy here, and an A-frame, probably Rockwood 122thsep, the sport option with the HUGE front porch (60"x80"  ;-)   ).  Anyway,  it looks a bit tough to put a lot of solar on an A-frame so I figured rig the truck.  Many things to be worked out of course but I was inspired by Bob's latest video  of the dude with a travel camper who added panels which doubled as an awning.    

To get to the point, I've been thinking today of how to get around 1000 watts on my Tacoma, oops future Tacoma.  See pics below.  I thought of putting in solar "drawers" on top of a campertop which could be pulled out in each direction, then pushed back in similar to a draftsmen cabinet that holds large sheets of vellum,  oops pegging myself back to the 70's.  I'm just posting cuz I know there are many genius's here and looking for criticism good and bad, ideas, etc. s each.  

the first pic is the truck with panels extended, second pic possible track (anything over 30" is EXPENSIVE!)  and third pic section of 30" drawer slide.  I chose under mount as opposed to side mount due to being exposed to weather.  I think I'll go flexible 100w size approx 40"x 22" and weigh about 5 lbs ea.  They're expensive compared to fixed but fixed weigh about 25 lbs x 10 panels..whoa.   There is a drawer coming out the back as well.  The sizes dont quite fit efficiently in the 41"wide x 60" bed but at this point I'm just brainstorming.  Each drawer holds two panels.

Thanks for your time and I hope to see some of yall next year.

Attachments

• tacsolar.jpg
    tacsolar.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • tarck.png
    tarck.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 20
  • trackdetail.jpg
    trackdetail.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 19
I only have one panel on my truck but boy is it wonderful.

akrvbob said:
Here is a 305 watt panel for $241, an excellent price. The size is 65 by 40. My guess is you could mount two of them on a shell and one on the cab and get 915 watts on the Tacoma. It would probably hang over a bit but you could make it work.

https://www.solar-electric.com/canadian-solar-cs6k-305ms-solar-panel.html

Thanks Bob!  I was sure somebody could help me lower the moving parts and save some money in the process....but the MAN himself?  I am humbled and honored.  Ace the wonder dog will be coming along and he needs play buddies.  Ace is less than 2 yrs old and loves to play......just warning Cody ahead of time

jimindenver said:
I only have one panel on my truck but boy is it wonderful.

Thanks Jim.  I will pm you when I'm ready to install.  I'll need some Sparky input!

I got to ask, is there some reason you need all those panels? seems you are working backwards. the usual way to size your electrical is,

1. figure out your usage.
2. size battery bank to usage.
3. size solar to the battery bank.

highdesertranger

CowboyRat said:
Toyota guy here, and an A-frame, probably Rockwood 122thsep, the sport option with the HUGE front porch (60"x80"  ;-)   ).  Anyway,  it looks a bit tough to put a lot of solar on an A-frame so I figured rig the truck.

When I was getting down to a final decision one of the configs on the short list was a Taco + A-frame.

Like this:

image-1.jpg

but with a full rack kinda like this for solar mounting:
download-2.jpg

without the side risers.  I think about 1kW of solar would fit on there in a normal hardmounted may, although I was shooting for less than that.

highdesertranger said:
I got to ask,  is there some reason you need all those panels?  seems you are working backwards.  the usual way to size your electrical is,

1.  figure out your usage.
2.  size battery bank to usage.
3.  size solar to the battery bank.

highdesertranger

Good point and total newb here.  I have no truck and/or camper at this point.  Maybe I am overshooting solar needed.  As someone said, better too much than not enough in this area.  Based on your input, I do need to see what wattage would be necessary to run an a/c at least part of the day on batteries cuz I don't see myself in too many campgrounds.  I had used 100watters in the concept but already someone has has linked me to a much higher wattage panel that eliminates 10 down to 3 panels.  Walaa, problem solved and no solar cabinet needed.  Thanks for input hdr and point well taken.

frater secessus said:
When I was getting down to a final decision one of the configs on the short list was a Taco + A-frame.

I think about 1kW of solar would fit on there in a normal hardmounted may, although I was shooting for less than that.

Yes your shortlist p/up and a-frame very similar to my thoughts now.  All the possibilities can make one's head spin.  I've gone from van to cargo van to cargo trailer to truck camper to popup truck camper to build popup hardside truck camper to etc etc.  Limited budget (30-50k) but less is best.  Probably time for me to get the ENTIRE list of build options, pro and con them on each side of a very long piece of paper and figure out what the heY I really want.  Thank you sir!

Nothing like experience! Get started quick make cheap mistakes, your first won't be your last.

Buy cheap examples and live in them a month or three, resell for around what you paid, even more if you really shop hard for bargains, buy in cheap locations sell in dear ones.

Can even rent some nowadays.

> better too much than not enough in this area

You can't go wrong installing as much as you can fit on the roof.

Once you have the roof you're keeping for a while, you do need the roof first!

Meantime portable "suitcase panels". . .

Don’t forget the hood of a pickup truck as an additional mount point. One other benefit of starting smaller is the cost of the battery bank - and the learning curve financial risk. Personally I like portable panels in combo with fixed.

CowboyRat said:
Good point and total newb here.  I have no truck and/or camper at this point.  Maybe I am overshooting solar needed.  As someone said, better too much than not enough in this area.  Based on your input, I do need to see what wattage would be necessary to run an a/c at least part of the day on batteries cuz I don't see myself in too many campgrounds.  I had used 100watters in the concept but already someone has has linked me to a much higher wattage panel that eliminates 10 down to 3 panels.  Walaa, problem solved and no solar cabinet needed.  Thanks for input hdr and point well taken.
Think I'm going to get one of the split A/C systems. I saw one that pulls 5 amps,

Even the smallest most efficient A/C can not be run off batteries for any length of time

unless you really know your stuff and invest a lot in solar, a generator and high-amp shore charger.

In effect you're just time-shifting a little, the generator will likely need about the same runtime as the A/C's.

Unless you have massive solar and only run the A/C during peak insolation times.

Meh

With 335 Ah of usable bank my little A/C over night but my system is not enough to run the A/C all day and recharge the batteries from the night before too. Luckily the whole chase the 70's thing makes it moot as a high of 70 generally means a bit of furnace at night, not A/C. Come to think of it I think I need to start chasing the 80's. Running the A/C off of the solar is free, that furnace cost money to run.

Meh

With 335 Ah of usable bank my little A/C over night but my system is not enough to run the A/C all day and recharge the batteries from the night before too. Luckily the whole chase the 70's thing makes it moot as a high of 70 generally means a bit of furnace at night, not A/C. Come to think of it I think I need to start chasing the 80's. Running the A/C off of the solar is free, that furnace cost money to run.

jimindenver said:
Luckily the whole chase the 70's thing makes it moot as a high of 70 generally means a bit of furnace at night, not A/C. Come to think of it I think I need to start chasing the 80's. Running the A/C off of the solar is free, that furnace cost money to run.

A small electric heater might pull similar power as the A/C.  Could pick up one at a thrift store for a quick test.  I think most of them are around 750W on low setting.

I have both a 200 watt and a 400 watt heater. Together they don't stand a chance at heating the trailer but they can help keep the furnace from running so often on a sunny cold day.