Can a vac sealer be powered by solar panel system?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
I'm just wonder if I can power a vac sealer machine using my solar panel system. Here are the specifics of the vac sealer machine: 
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Electrical[/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frequency50Hz - 60Hz[/font][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Input Power110W[/font][/font][/size]

This vac sealer machine: https://www.dicksmith.co.nz/dn/buy/...MI34rks9PX8gIVSh0rCh24NwcfEAQYASABEgKz__D_BwE

I know I can't use things like an electrical shaver because the electricity draw is to high and fast and can wreck my solar panel system over time.  So I'm just wondering about a vac sealer machine, whether the electrical draw is too high and fast or it's all good.

Please let me know if you need the solar panel system specifics, I can't remember these off the top of my head but I can post the specifics when I get back to my campervan after work.

It only works for seconds. Of course you can use solar, as long as your inverter has enough output to run it. (110W)

How is this question answerable if you don't specify the capacity of your system? How much battery reserve?

Yes it can. You just need to have the proper amount of solar panels and battery capacity. How much? Depends on the duty cycle of the machine. How many minutes per hour are you going to use it and things like that will determine the minimum size of the system. What is your current solar/battery system?

That is just one type of vacuum sealer, there are other types. Some use ziplock bags that have a valve on the side of the bag. You use a small, rechargeable machine to suck the air out of the bag. No heat is needed. Very little electricity is required.

So do some more research before you make a decision on what vacuum system will best suit your needs.

slow2day said:
How is this question answerable if you don't specify the capacity of your system? How much battery reserve?

It also depends on how much sealing you do. Once a day versus hours a day?

Sofisintown said:
It only works for seconds. Of course you can use solar, as long as your inverter has enough output to run it. (110W)

Good point. I'll only need to use it for a few seconds at a time.

slow2day said:

I can't remember the battery reserve but it is a big battery with a big reserve. I know that much because it was expensive.

PlethoraOfGuns said:
Yes it can. You just need to have the proper amount of solar panels and battery capacity. How much? Depends on the duty cycle of the machine. How many minutes per hour are you going to use it and things like that will determine the minimum size of the system. What is your current solar/battery system?

300 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter and I don't know what the battery is but I do know it has a very large capacity because it was expensive. I've definitely got enough power to run a vac sealer for a few seconds at a time for a total of under 30 seconds a day. I was just wondering if it will draw too much power too fast (similar to a electric shaver). I can power an electric shaver with my solar/battery system as well but because the power draw will be high and fast it would eventually wreck my solar panel system. I'm hoping that won't happen with vac sealer but so far everyone is saying it will be fine so that is a good sign.

maki2 said:
That is just one type of vacuum sealer, there are other types. Some use ziplock bags that have a valve on the side of the bag. You use a small, rechargeable machine to suck the air out of the bag. No heat is needed. Very little electricity is required.

So do some more research before you make a decision on what vacuum system will best suit your needs.

You got some good points. I'll do some research. Thanks:)

MrNoodly said:
It also depends on how much sealing you do. Once a day versus hours a day?

Under 30 seconds a day. I've got plenty of power it's just that I was wondering if the power draw will be too high and fast (similar to powering a electric hair clipper which will wreck a solar panel system).

"similar to powering a electric hair clipper which will wreck a solar panel system"

I am curious, Who told you that?

Highdesertranger

I gave five guys a buzz cut with clippers . I use clippers to groom my dog too.

Anything can be run off of a solar system if it’s matched up properly

highdesertranger said:
"similar to powering a electric hair clipper which will wreck a solar panel system"

I am curious, Who told you that?

Highdesertranger

I'm not sure if anyone told me that or I read it somewhere. Apparently the electricity draw will be too much and too quickly and can damage a solar panel system over time. I'm not even sure if I gave a good example.

I remember now!! A hair dryer, apparently a hair dryer will draw too much electricity in a short amount of time. Too much load on the inverter or something like that. But I guess a vac sealer machine isn't a hair dryer.

jimindenver said:
I gave five guys a buzz cut with clippers . I use clippers to groom my dog too.

Anything can be run off of a solar system if it’s matched up properly

Yeah I think I gave a bad example. A hair dryer is a better example, a hair dryer possibly could put too much load on the inverter. But I think a vac sealer machine won't put that sort of load on an inverter.

Even a hair dryer can be run off solar(off grid). Just as long as everything is sized correctly almost anything can be run. Highdesertranger

Anything is possible, its not the solar that is the limitation, its the inverter and battery system.