Tuna recall

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that on my facebook page today and I checked my Bumble Bee tuna, Mine was ok,
A very good thing to post on here. you don't want to be getting sick especially if your out boondocking.

Thank you for posting this! The problem with recalls is that the product went on the shelf for the public. Of all the things that humanity does well, canning is one of them. I hate to see a recall of canned goods as they are a staple for me, especially tuna. However, tuna will no longer be on my list of consumables. It is sad when we have doubts about the safety of the food supply.

Sameer said:
Thank you for posting this!  The problem with recalls is that the product went on the shelf for the public.  Of all the things that humanity does well, canning is one of them.  I hate to see a recall of canned goods as they are a staple for me, especially tuna.  However, tuna will no longer be on my list of consumables.  It is sad when we have doubts about the safety of the food supply.

Undercooked tuna.

Can you say Sushi?  ;)

I only use StarKist. (Tell them Charly sent you!) 

Nobody got sick, it is a precautionary recall.

I can say Sushi, which is raw and delicious......under-cooked....Can you say....salmonella? Company's need to get their 'Quality Control' in order so it never hits the shelves.

I've been buying Great Value for years a chef friend told me about it , IMO far better quality than name brands. The solid white looks like they just pushed the can down on a fillet !

I've switched to the Costco Kirkland brand of skipjack tuna. It's sustainable and not fished for in the way the major brands are which is doing harm. I'm real picky about my tuna and was impressed with the taste and consistency of the product.

Patd4u2 said:
I saw that on my facebook page today and I checked my Bumble Bee tuna, Mine was ok,
A very good thing to post on here. you don't want to be getting sick especially if your out boondocking.

I also use Bumble Bee tuna and called the co about the recall. Mine was not on the list either.  I buy the Albacore tuna because I like it much better than what is labeled either light meat or dark meat tuna.  I also like the individual tuna and cracker snacks.

Even when it's not on recall, it's got a lot of mercury.
Mercury is unfriendly stuff.

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/mercury-guide

Ease up on tuna. Tuna is the most common source of mercury exposure in the country. If you or your kids regularly eat canned tuna, stick to light or skipjack tuna, and limit it to less than two servings a week. A 130-pound woman can eat almost two six-ounce cans of light tuna a week and stay within the EPA-recommended safe zone for mercury. A four- or five-year-old child should eat only about four ounces of light tuna per week. The rules change when it comes to albacore tuna. Children should avoid that fish altogether, and women of childbearing age should stick to no more than four ounces per week.

I've been hearing about the Mercury for many years but in spite of that I still eat a can or two of albacore a couple of times a month. I'm especially happy to enjoy a good tuna steak now and then. It is still much better than drinking the water in Flint, Michigan.

Trust me, they could probably make a thermometer out of me with the amount I used to eat earlier in my life. :). Couple a cans of albacore are still ok by the recommendations. And as you say there are worse things in the world.

Raven+Squid said:
And as you say there are worse things in the world.

Much like any Asian restaurants in a small town, or Diarrhea Dragon's as I've once read.