Tulsa to RTR, I-40, I-10 or ???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohemian scout

Reaction score
I'm looking at my map and possible routes. I've not drove that direction in Janurary, not sure about the areas to avoid except Flagstaff. There's so many possible options! What would your route be?  Do you know any must sees or eats along the route? Suggestions or tips would be awesome!

Google Maps says I-40 to Holbrook AZ, then state roads 377, 277 and 260 to Payson, 87 to Mesa, then 202 to Phoenix and I-10. But But you could also take I-44 to Wichita Falls TX, US 277 to I-20 and then to I-10. If you want to make the trip all in interstates while avoiding Flagstaff, then OK City to Albuquerque to Las Cruces to Quartzsite is probably the shortest.

What are you driving? Towing anything?

What is your preference, interstates or 2 lanes?

Is your rig new and fast? Or do you prefer to drive 55 and smell the roses along the way?

What is your tolerance for snowy weather and/or icy roads? The southern Rockies can toss a few snowflakes your way in mid January.

Do you need pullouts and rest areas often? Overnight stays in Walmarts and truckstops OK? Or not?

My general route preference from there to RTR in winter would be I-44, I-40, to Amarillo, then US 60, US 70 to Las Cruces, then I-10, I-8, to Gila Bend, AZ85 bypassing Phoenix, then I-10 west to RTR.

There are only about 3 trouble spots along the southern part of that route as far as possibly severe winter weather, but many more on the other possible routes.

The best plan is to not plan until you leave, with current information about the weather and roads, you can make the decision then.

I am looking at that route and thinking that 60 from Soccorro to Mesa might be an interesting trip. Assuming one is not in a hurry and has snow tires. I'm not sure about snow conditions from Show Low to Globe to Mesa.

OK, lots of questions!!! Driving a 2006 ford 150 econline, not towing. I like to do a mixture of interstate and less traveled roads, if I can have a nice view or a scenic route I'll take that way. I pretty much drive the speed limit, I don't want to drive in snow or icy conditions. I drive on unless there's something interesting to see or do. I plan my stop for the night at a free place that looks safe. If I want to explore an area more I'll look for Blm, national forest or cheap campground. I'm too excited to wait! I like to have all possible routes checked out then I'll check weather and decide. What I would like to know is....where are the trouble spots?

skyl4rk said:
I am looking at that route and thinking that 60 from Soccorro to Mesa might be an interesting trip.

Yep...US 60 thru Salt River Canyon is VERY crooked! And very scenic.

All depends on weather conditions. From Showlow south towards Salt River Canyon (60 - not a divided road, has intermittent passing lanes) is a gorgeous scenic road...c-u-r-v-y + switchbacks. Globe is a fun town to stop. If the weather permits, I'd suggest leaving Showlow very early in the morning (daylight) and head south.

All depends on weather conditions. South of Payson is a divided highway; nice more relaxed drive than above. It is a better road for adverse weather conditions (better road/newer and divided). If you take this route, stop at Saguaro Lake. PM me if you need additional information. -gorgeous must see-

If you end up on 40, at Albuquerque, check the weather going west into Arizona. Otherwise head south of Albuquerque (I25). Get off I-25 at Hatch NM, south to Deming on 26. I-10 west to I-8 west to 85 north (Gila Bend) to I-10 west.

My suggestion is, have A / B / C plan laid out. Check yelp.com for any restaurants in the areas you choose. 

(I live in Arizona) So trouble spots can be Payson south or Showlow south. Weather/traffic alerts: http://www.az511.com/traffic/

Have fun!

Bohemian scout said:
What I would like to know is....where are the trouble spots?

First, nobody can predict the weather and road conditions 2 months in advance so anything could happen in January, or nothing at all will happen and it will be smooth sailing all the way!

But I have 37 winter seasons driving a semi thru New Mexico so I have seen what can happen, and been involved in several shutdowns and seen dozens of bad accidents over the years.

Along the southern route I mentioned, the primary trouble spots during severe winter conditions are:

West of Roswell, climbing up 12-mile hill and dropping off into Hondo Valley and Ruidoso.

Climbing Apache Summit and then descending into Mescalero. (its a snow ski area!)

Climbing Organ Pass (also called San Augustin Pass) between HLSTF/Missile Range Road and Organ NM. Bad weather is rare here, but when it happens, its very bad.

A possible number 4 would be Texas Canyon on I-10 between Benson and Wilcox...again, snow is rare here but I have seen it look like a blizzard!

Not trying to scare you...generally speaking the southern route will be a better bet than blasting down I-40 for 850 miles and hoping the entire route will be snow-free in January.

The problem on I-40 in eastern New Mexico is they dont have frontage roads along most of the eastern half of it, and if someone wipes out on the ice ahead of you, sometimes the wait for the highway to be cleared can be hours...or a day! And there you sit in 14 miles of backed up traffic. Not fun.

Closures on I-40 around Clines Corners (7000ft elevation!) and Sedillo Hill are common. I have seen Moriarty closed many times due to Sedillo Hill and Tijeras Canyon rendered impassable due to collisions and wrecked vehicles. I even have some archived dash-cam video of this!

Then again, the weather could be sunny and 60 degrees everywhere...so its best to wait and see what the weather is the week or so before you depart.

Seriously.  :cool:

BTW....please bookmark the following website:

www.nmroads.com

When the time nears, you can check road conditions thru New Mexico on a smartphone or laptop and even look at roadside webcams!

_____  << Thumbs-up smilie goes here.

In January I'd take I-40 to I-25 then I-10 across.

Unless the weather is just extraordinary, I'd avoid northern AZ.

Coming from Utah we almost have to go through Flagstaff the end of December or first of January it is almost always snow and always cold. Roads, if plowed, are not places you want to pull off on, even southern Utah in summer or winter because of soft sandy shoulders and passing traffic. If I could avoid Flagstaff I most definitely would in winter.

Thank You Bob!!!  In planning my route for early next year I had it set to travel down I-40.  I have changed my mind  :D .  I will be taking the route you pointed out.  It adds about 200 miles but the extra time, I think, will be far less than waiting for a wreck to clear or trying to travel in snow limited visibility.  Been down that road before not need to tour it again.

geogentry said:
In planning my route for early next year I had it set to travel down I-40. 

If you go that route (I-40, I-25, I-10) you can shave some time and miles by cutting across HWY 26 from Hatch to Deming. 

Also, keep in mind what I posted earlier: weather in central NM on I-40 in late December, to January and even up till April, can be iffy around Clines Corners to Tijeras Canyon. 

Clines Corners has nearly the same elevation and latitude as Flagstaff AZ. Winter weather comes down thru Colorado and the northern mountains of New Mexico and can shut that off in a hurry. In that case, if you are already on I-40 in eastern NM, then US 54 is an alternative to head south to Alamogordo and then US 70 to Las Cruces.

Be SURE to check the weather apps or websites ahead of time.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tx2sturgis[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Sigh - Back to google maps.  Although the miles do matter, gas usage vs budget,  time not so much.  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]OK found the roads.  Gotta plot things out to see whats what.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for the tip[/font]

From Tulsa why not take I35 S from OKC to I 20 in Ft Worth to I 10 across to RTR..

Thanks for this thread! I’m headed to S Carolina Dec 15-Dec 27 or so. I was going to go I40, but I’d forgotten about Flagstaff and the other possible bad spots in Arizona- I only thought about Albuquerque and how high it is. Good to know about other routes. Thanks!
PS- I’m pretty sure I’m allergic to snowy/icy roads- the last winter I lived in Oregon, I had to dig to get out of the house door!

Bohemian scout said:
I'm looking at my map and possible routes. I've not drove that direction in Janurary, not sure about the areas to avoid except Flagstaff. There's so many possible options! What would your route be?  Do you know any must sees or eats along the route? Suggestions or tips would be awesome!

I left Woodward, Ok on Thanksgiving, grateful for the freedom I have.  I chose the Las Cruces/I-10 route.  Have spent the last 4 days boondocking in Las Cruces.  Not sure if I'll head west this week or next.  We'll see how the mood strikes!

Great suggestions, thanks all!!! One more month or so before I leave, wow just saying that puts things in perspective! Better get my rear in gear finishing preparing my van. New tires yesterday, looking for a roof rack I can attach solar to now. I’m going to mark these possible routes on my map then when departure day gets here I’ll decide. Maybe those of you traveling these routes could comment on how it went for you...any construction/clousures/detours? What about where you camped or ate or cool sites to see?

Stymie said:
From Tulsa why not take I35 S from OKC to I 20 in Ft Worth to I 10 across to RTR..

Thats an alternative but then the person has to deal with the heavy traffic in OKC, all along I-35, and then the heavy traffic and probable gridlock in the DFW area, depending on time of day. 

Yuck. 

On the other hand, once you get out west on I-20 and I-10 in Texas, the speed limit goes up to 80 in most areas. 

Depends on a person's desire to travel with all the other idiots, I mean people, on the major interstate highways. I almost always choose the alternative 2 lane, mom-n-pop roads....but that's just me.

tx2sturgis said:
Thats an alternative but then the person has to deal with the heavy traffic in OKC, all along I-35, and then the heavy traffic and probable gridlock in the DFW area, depending on time of day. 

Yuck. 

On the other hand, once you get out west on I-20 and I-10 in Texas, the speed limit goes up to 80 in most areas. 

Depends on a person's desire to travel with all the other idiots, I mean people, on the major interstate highways. I almost always choose the alternative 2 lane, mom-n-pop roads....but that's just me.
I will be leaving from Houston Texas  and would prefer not to drive the fast interstate. I came down from Iowa and keeping up with the traffic was hard. 55 or 60 miles per hour would be fine with me. Any suggestions coming from Houston? Older rig 29 footer. Doesn't like inclines.

Mercy200 said:
I will be leaving from Houston Texas  and would prefer not to drive the fast interstate. I came down from Iowa and keeping up with the traffic was hard. 55 or 60 miles per hour would be fine with me. Any suggestions coming from Houston? Older rig 29 footer. Doesn't like inclines.

US 90

Latest posts